Super Lead Changes

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by pedecamp, Nov 12, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Alright I give up...

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The V1a and V1b cathode resistors are reversed position on the board...
    There are certain heretics who have noticed this difference :drunk:.

3. pedecamp

Thats it??

4. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

You asked. David Bray Amps will do that, and more. David voices each amp to the customer's tastes and when you buy the amp, two revoicings are available
    to you free of charge from David, but you do pay all shipping costs. Who else does that?

wntbtw likes this.
  5. wntbtw

wntbtw Active Member

Didn`t know that about Bray`s amps--really cool--thanks! I`ve spoken to him a few times. His amps are stellar! In Nik`s defense--Ceriatone has over 80 different amp models available [a few more than Bray]--his versions of Marshall, Fender, Vox, Matchless, Dumble, Trainwreck, Hiwatt, etc as well as his own circuits. He has additional general individual mods available as well as custom mods between he & a particular customer. His customer service rep is impeccable & US free shipping on his 80 or so stock amps--so he runs a pretty good amp company worldwide. Have you ever visited his website? http://www.ceriatone.com/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  6. Matthews Guitars

Yeah, I'm familiar with Ceriatone. They have a very large catalog. Including pre-built amp chassis, you provide the box they go in. That's unique!

However I feel that it's a person's duty to throw in a good word for those people and companies that he feels are under-represented, under-appreciated, and able to make products that can run with the best of them. If I were looking to buy a new built amp in the modded plexi category, it'd be a Bray. I like what I hear out of his amps just a little bit more than anything else.

7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Nah, the Americans bought the 2203s/04s and AC/ DC bought all the 4 holers

8. pedecamp

I considered Ceriatone but for a few hundred more you can get a used Marshall which I believe will maintain its value better in the long run.

wntbtw likes this.
  9. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

My impression is that by '77 the 1959 schematic was stable and not really changing. Most of the changes happened in the late '60s to early '70s. If you want to understand those differences, Nik (Ceriatone) has a lot of good info including the layout for each of the circuits he offers (which do have some mods like switchable bright cap and FX loop). I'm a big fan of Nik's work and wouldn't hesitate to choose a new handwired turret board clone over a 40+ year old PCB amp but you may have a point about the resale value. I thought no loop was a deal breaker for you? Has the '77 you are looking at been modded?

Here's the descriptions of the versions from Nik:

We offer 5 versions of the Plexi100:

’67 = shared cathode, “bass” tonestack, soft filtering. Big and creamy.

’68 = split cathode, “lead” tonestack, soft filtering. Brown.

’69 = split cathode, “lead” tonestack, medium filtering. Still brown, but more firm.

’70 = split cathode, “lead” tonestack, heavy filtering. Crunchy, percussive.

’73 = split cathode, “lead” tonestack, heavy filtering. Bright, percussive, quick transition to breakup

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    yladrd61 and wntbtw like this.
  10. pedecamp

A Super Lead has 4 speaker inputs, I would use 2 of them for a Metro loop. You make a good point that by 1977 the design was stable, maybe that's what I'll keep looking for, the one I mentioned earlier got away.

11. Matthews Guitars

Here's how my 2203 is set up, with one of my new back panels. Yes, that is a Metro loop in it.

DSC_6363_sm.jpg

12. yladrd61

yladrd61 Well-Known Member

I have a Ceriatone '67 JTM50 head, and '69 JMP 1987 with '68 preamp in 2 X 12 Combo, they are great amps using high quality components and workmanship.