Stupidity And Putting The Cart Before The Horse

Discussion in 'Building the Classics' started by toadfish, Apr 12, 2018.

1. toadfish

toadfish Member

Gday all just a question for the guru's on here!(as I can be pretty DUMB at times!) I purchased a Marshall replica JTM45 board from WATTs then figured It's as simple as asking him what capacitors I would need and any suggestions! What I didn't realize is this must be some form of cardinal sin! (yep I was in cubs n scouts so I should have been prepared!!) I do realize idiots should be steered clear of things that could potentially kill them!! But how or where can I find out the proper way to build this amp? Thanks for the help! (But in some cases LACK THERE OF!) Like I said to Ken "is better to sell a car to a guy who has never driven! Or after selling it to him kindly point him to references that may safely help him drive it!" Or do some people like watching other's get electrocuted? Because in that case I will wet the sponge!! Lol thanks again for the help!!

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Yeah I think Watts Audio is pretty cool.

There is a lot to learn about tube amps before you try to build one. There are a lot of parts involved besides capacitors.
    First learn how to solder, this requires some practice and tools.

There are plenty of videos (like on you tube) which will help you get a start.
    But you will not learn all this in 1 day.

3. Guitar-Rocker

Guitar-Rocker Well-Known Member

If you are building a stock JTM45 version, are you asking what capacitors you would need for the turretboard? That's an easy list.

4. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Sometimes newbie questions lead more experienced users to believe you may have bitten off more than you can chew. Kind of like 'If you have to ask that question, then you have no business...'

Also expecting others to do your research for you tends to shy people away.

People here will help you with suggestions, but there is no substitute for feet on the ground research.

The other thing that can happen is a heated discussion about what type of this and that, generally leading to more confusion.

Good luck...

nevermind likes this.
  5. toadfish

toadfish Member

Good Advice from all! I wasn't expecting him to build it for me!! I have some books on amps! I took electronics in high school and went top of the class! Aswell as in soldering! So I've soldered for 35 year's! Thanks Ampmadscientist (Ken is good! he said just buy the JCM800 50w kit I do!) Thanks Guitar Rocker (it's so easy easy when everybody's trying to please me baby!) And Micky I hear you loud n clear! My mates dad actually worked for Marshall in the 60's n 70's and still built amps when he come to Australia!(pity he died in 1999) but he said similar things to you year's ago! TEACH THEM NOTHING TAKE THEM NOWHERE! and he also used to say about splitting hairs about use this one over that one and the neck on my guitar is longer than the neck on your guitar! Type shit! But atleast you guy's gave me your help and advice! That's real stand up of you! I didn't realize it's easier to get a meth recipe than a build list for a JTM45 MARSHALL that's a joke!

6. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

neikeel likes this.
  7. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    You gotta meth recipe?

RobLaQuinta likes this.
  8. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

upload_2018-4-12_11-33-24.jpeg Heisenberg does.

Someone use to use this guy as an avatar, remember?

chuckharmonjr likes this.
  9. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Thats kinda what i do, i tend to ask here while im digging around the net on something. Usually i get answers from the guys here that i never thought of though some one always points something out in a way that i havnt thought of.

The thing is with the net you never know what to believe so if i ask and read around then the guys here confirm something.

10. toadfish

toadfish Member

Coldngray thanks mate that's what im looking for!! Your a champ! Chuck PM me!lol mickeydg5 that's my uncle!! And BowerR64 thankyou it's so true! And that's why I did ask here as I was figuring this would be the place and people to ask!(there is some smart cookies on here!) And when your dealing with Amps that other than boutique makers make (wish I had money to burn to just simply buy them! But sadly I'm poor!!) I thought I'd build it! I didn't come here to simply piss people off or start trouble! Like Iron Maiden said "I WANT INFORMATION" (not necessarily your hard learned information!) thanks for everyone being tolerant of newbe question asking! But I get it there are people in life that pull the kids instructions out of LEGO at toy shop because they get a giggle out of it! My little neice just used to trash any superior LEGO built item's I'd make! (Why you little shit!!) It took me 6 month's to put those 4 block's together! Also can I add 11 on my master volume if I build my own? Lol

coldengray and chuckharmonjr like this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Does it involve that white powdery substance at the top of the output tube?

chuckharmonjr likes this.
  12. toadfish

toadfish Member

Na I haven't done that since I left the Police force!

13. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Only if they lose suction and burn, AMS....LOL

14. scottosan

scottosan Member

If a retailer where to open the pandora's box of entertaining questions from everynood, they'd never get away from the keyboard or phone. There are tons of resources, but I am again enabling painting by numbers. I always help but first make them try to fish for themselves. the information is abundant. IMHO most are setting themselves up for failure by trying to build an entire JTM45 with zero experience

http://bfy.tw/HdTR

15. toadfish

toadfish Member

Yep your dead right scottosan so I don't recommend you build one!! But I'm going to! You can only die trying! Plus I can put a mirror on my work bench so when my hair stands on end I will look like the Dr on Back to the future!! Truth is if they didn't want people to build them STOP MAKING THE KIT'S! Won't be long and it maybe like firearms licencing! Next week I'm putting in my application for my Soldering iron license! I passed my "I'm not a silly c×+t test last month!" My mate used to say in the new world they are making everything IDIOT PROOF! the trouble is there just designing BETTER IDIOT'S! but I fully understand where people are coming from in regards to don't try this at home kids! Trouble is I watched to much Evel Knievel as a kid! Danger is exciting! I included a picture of Me playing tennis last year

Attached Files:

16. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Simply download the Metro instructions, follow the parts checklist and paint by numbers, you can get help here or on the JTM45 section of the Metro forum. If you want to make a success of it I suggest you read a few threads in that section of Metro and the beginners section. The search function lost some functionality after the forum rebuild but you will find invaluable help there.

17. toadfish

toadfish Member

Thanks Neikeel! I have been speaking to George himself! So I'm a little up to date! But I will check out what you mentioned thanks again! Got some Gerald Webber book's and slowly doing some preparing for it! I couldn't get into the Metro forum's (don't know why?) Hell I even own a Hakko soldering station! Now I just need to learn how to turn it on!lol thanks again for the help! Coldengray's links are a top help! Stay cool fellow amp enthusiast's

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    coldengray likes this.
  18. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

I like your enthusiasm. Please remember there are deadly voltages at play and learn how to drain the filter caps.

19. toadfish

toadfish Member

Thanks mate I will look into the proper way to do that! Do you know any good books I could read to advance my knowledge a bit! I love to read and asking what the good ones are can be helpful! Thankyou again for the help! I have a few being sent out from England and the U.S. at the moment! My mates dad told me to buy 1 book that's been out of print since the 70's but there looking for $450 if you can find a copy of it? His claim was it's the bible of tube amps still 40 year's later?

20. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Its just like putting together a model.

But its like a model of a stun gun!

PUPOW!