Studio series 'shootout' this Friday

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by walshb, Jul 25, 2019.

1. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Tungsols and the stock speaker back in my SV combo is really sounding good and vibrant. Before it was sorta dull.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  2. zenlink

zenlink Member

I'm posting this for WalshB. Sound file from the Marshall shoot out! Enjoy

marshall-match

3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Which part was which amp?
    Without knowing, I thought the 2nd part had the best tone.

JCarno, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  4. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Agreed, part two was best.

ken361, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

I'LL second the second tone.Please reveal.

6. walshb

walshb Active Member

Thanks guys! I don't want to leave everyone guessing, but I do have to say this before "the reveal". All three amps sounded very similar in the room, to all that were there, when we were recording. We tried to dial them in for similar tones. We also adjusted mic settings several times on each amp, attempting to get similar tones on the recordings.
    So far, the 2nd take in the clip seems to be favored, and that was my pick, also. That was the Mini Jubilee. That was not my pick when hearing them live, in the room. And I think I mentioned, we didn't all agree on which sounded best, either. My pick while doing the recordings was the SC20H through the 2x12 cab. And yes, the cab most likely was a big factor. That was the first one in the clip. At least two other guys felt the SV20C sounded the best, live.
    One conclusion we came to, that I think all of us in the room could agree on, is that for medium gain like AC/DC, all 3 amps did an excellent job. I should also mention, if I didn't already, that we didn't jump the channels on the SV20C, and only used the 10" speaker that came in the combo.

7. 2203xman

2203xman Well-Known Member

Thanks for a great thread!

8. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

I'm going with #2 if the goal was matching the tone on the record. I think any of the 3 could get there with a tweak or two.

9. sellen

sellen Active Member

2 sounded best here i think as well
    Strange that the jub Combo with g12 Greenback(according to Marshall.Com) sounded so different to sc 20 with 2*12 with Greenbacks. Clip 1 and 3 was more similar with different speakers.

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

The jubilee has more highs atleast the combos,the SV has a nice smooth top end as I like it for a different flavor.

11. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

My tone deaf wife also liked the mini Jub,.....she said she liked it because it doesn’t sound as gritty as the other two.

A laypersons choice!

12. walshb

walshb Active Member

Thanks again everyone! I got a name wrong earlier in the thread, it is zenlink of this forum that owns the SV20C.

I wish we had had more time to do this. I wanted to do some "lead" playing also, to show differences in notes played higher up the neck, etc. We did take our time trying to "get it right" but maybe we could have done more if we hadn't been so intent on trying to get the amps to sound the same.

Anyway, I really appreciate all the comments and glad some people enjoyed this thread!

13. rolijen

rolijen Active Member

I loved #2 and #3. #1 sounded nasal and thin (at least on the clip). Im glad I heard this as I have been Jonesing pretty bad for an SC20H. I will need to learn more about the Jubilee and SV.

walshb, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. zenlink

zenlink Member

Definitely like this thread! I was there!

:io:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  15. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Great post! But why try so hard to make them sound the same? I would like to highlight the differences...
    I think that the speakers played a significant role here - 2XGB closed cab vs 10 inch v type open back vs 12 inch GB open cab.

16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. walshb

walshb Active Member

There is so much that we could have done. But time was a factor, as noted earlier. And there are surely hundreds of opinions on what we should have done. I would have liked to show the differences in amounts of gain, maybe highlighted the clean channel on the Mini Jube, and probably most of all, play them all through the 2x12 cabinet, with the mic placement left alone.
    BTW, when we first fired up the SV20C, it was also driving a 15" speaker, and it sounded even better at that point. But we decided to take that out of the mix and just use the 10" speaker in the combo. Anyway, decisions, decisions! Cheers!

18. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

+1

19. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

Probably it would have been more productive to hook them all into the same cabinet, w/ a single mic. Then just swap heads. That would have simplified things. I wouldn't have dialed them in to sound like each other, I would have dialed them in in to sound the best the way they sound, regardless of what the other amp's sound like. Then, you could have just flipped between heads, & if you needed to revisit a head, you could have just swapped real quick.

If you wanted, then you could have switched cab's. mic it up & swap all heads on that cab, etc.

The funny thing about the way the sound comes out in this test, is that, the wave file, shows the Jubilee as the least compressed amplifier, when, in reality, it's probably the most compressed. The SV, comes across as the most compressed, when it's actually the least compressed.

So, I'd probably give the best recording to the Jubilee as well. If I had all 3, I might still like it best, who knows, but, I think the other 2 didn't get a fair shake in this.

If that makes sense...

20. GT08

GT08 Active Member

Nothing that great here.

Unlike my TSL 100 Head, which is great.

Rock n' roll.