Studio / Guitar Playing Chair - Recommendations Please

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by DPTONE5, Jan 11, 2019.

1. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

Friends,

Given the information here, I'd very much appreciate your recommendations, experiences and thoughts.

I have a home studio desk where I just bought a 27" computer monitor to sit between my monitor speakers. The laptop sits on the lower desk area while the computer monitor and speakers sit above. To my left 90 degrees are my two 4 x 12 cabinets.

For years, I've been sitting on a small Tama drum throne that I kept at 15". It worked great when I was using the 13" MacBook Pro monitor, but it is now to short to view the monitor correctly. I've raised it to 19" and it is a good height for playing, recording, viewing the monitor, typing on the keyboard and hearing my cabs.

The 24" Fender guitar playing stool I have is way too high. I've brought down an adjustable desk chair, one that has no arm rests, but it is a $30 to $40 chair that my kids have used, so it's not the most comfortable.

I play with the guitar straddled between my legs, so when I used that chair, I had to sit in the very front of it, and it wasn't all that comfortable. When I don't have my guitar though, it is pretty comfortable to use when just working on the computer, because it has back support.

The small Tama drum throne is not as comfortable as I'd like now that I've raised it to 19", but I like the way it doesn't hinder me when playing. It was my son's first throne, so it wasn't very expensive.

So.....here are my needs:

1) Comfortable chair for both sitting in front of the computer and playing.
    2) Ability to swivel - I turn in both directions a lot
    3) Not hindered when playing guitar straddled between both legs
    4) 18" height and easily adjustable to up to 21" would be nice

I've looked on-line, and there are so many styles of chairs and drum thrones. It does seem that many guitarist use drum thrones in their home studios. This one looked very promising and the reviews are great:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/ROC-N-...4.gc?pfm=category_page.rr1|CategoryTopSellers

Thank you!!

DP

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a couple Ikea desk chairs in my music room, one for the drums and one for my desk. When Im not standing I sit and play guitar the same way you do. Comfortable to sit in for long periods, spring loaded back that can be locked upright if desired. These are the ones I have right now:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60336839/

Mitchell Pearrow and DPTONE5 like this.
  3. DPTONE5

DPTONE5 Well-Known Member

Any other input to my question? Would appreciate the help.

4. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am no help here, but I would think that the John deer tractor looking throne with back rest would be in the ballpark :cheers:

DPTONE5 likes this.