Strat pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by Petejax1234, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Hey guys, so I’ve had a USA strat for a few years and it came fitted with kinman noiseless pickups which sound insanely good and feedback nicely and controllably.
    I’m looking to pick up another Strat but I’ve actually never played another other than the one I own.
    My question is what are the standard Strat pickups like? Do they hum badly and make lots of nasty noise when used with gain pedals etc? I’m just wondering if I need to factor in the price of a pickup change within the purchase.
    Aside from this what would ppl recommend as the best bang for the buck Strat? Should I be going for something from the 90s 2000s or maybe something new?
    Cheers in advance

2. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

best bang for the buck: MIM 2019-20 Fender Player Strat. IMHO you won't need any upgrades. Just go to the next GC or samash and try one.

Good Value for the money MIM 50s/60s reissue. try to find a lacquer version, used. AMAZING guitars

I think you should go out and test as many as possible and look for one you won't have to upgrade. but if so, there's a lot of good pickups out there.

3. Petejax1234

Petejax1234 Member

Thanks really appreciate this info

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  4. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

the main issue I have with the player series is that I wan't a Candy apple red strat and they don't produce it in this color. fuck that! lol

Mitchell Pearrow and Petejax1234 like this.
  5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Fender Limited-Edition Player Stratocaster
    Discount: Save $125 at checkout
    Price: $675 $550
    upload_2020-1-21_17-7-6.png

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member Premium Member

I just bought a 2016 Fender USA Standard Strat, which came with Fat 50s pickups. I love the tones, and I get virtually no hum or other unwanted noise. I think a lot of the 60 cycle hum with single coil pickups can be addressed by the way you position the amps relative to the guitar and other electric devices near the amp.

I also have a Fender USA Elite Tele, which comes with noiseless pickups, and I hear no difference in terms of hum between the Tele and the Strat.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

I hear a lot of good thinks about the Tex mex pick ups

8. dro

dro Well-Known Member

blackstrat.JPG
    Made In Mexico Seymore Duncan Little 59's Very quiet killer tone

Mitchell Pearrow and BanditPanda like this.
  9. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

So I have two American strats.

A Delux sss with N3 pups it also has S1 switch. I used to love this axe but then I bought a standard. The Delux is a superior quality instrument, ultra playable. But the fat 50s on the Delux leave the N3s standing.

I don't play the Delux anymore. So to the op don't worry about fat 50s they rock.

In my own case I think I would like to switch out the N3s and have a humbucker in the bridge position.

I don't want to change pick guard.

Anyone got any economic suggestions?

G

dptone5 likes this.
  10. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I guess it all depends on the price you want to pay and how good a Strat do0 you want. I can only recommend 2 really good ones, the Suhr and Schecter Strats are very good but you will pay around $2200 and up. However, you will be able to keep it a lifetime and there is no need to change a thing.

11. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Plus 1 for the CS fat 50's pick ups. I have a set in my 62 RI Japanese Strat.
    These are nice instruments I have had a couple of the 60s Mex Fenders too (still have the Tele but with SD Antiquities) they are great value for money.

12. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I have ordered a set of Seymore Duncan pups. To replace the N3s.

SSL6, for bridge, SSL2 for neck, reverse wound SSL2 for the middle. I am scrapping the S1 switch.

Delivery about 3 weeks. Hope I have not wasted more money. This hobby is draining me!

G

dptone5 likes this.
  13. dptone5

dptone5 Well-Known Member

You are going to be pleased. The S1 switch is tone drain. Your Strat is going to come to life G!!!

G the wildman likes this.