Standby switch problems mid 70's onwards, amp crackle noise.

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Seanxk, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Seanxk

Seanxk Active Member

Having an intermittent rustling static noise, like a component is taking charge ( a faulty cap arrgh ), but not settling down.
    This is on my MK11 SB 100 which has had a hard life and was first owned by Lemmy and has done many miles since, it's just the most in y'r face sounding amp's I've had and so aggressive, I use it for Bass guitar I should add.

So I check all the pre amp valves for what seems like an eternity, sometimes it's better but never fixed, all this time I'm using the standby switch:idea:. Hmm so I think try Deoxit on the switches, bingo :D and all's good.

Until the next day I switch it on, noise is back again so I check the switch with a DMM and find I'm getting a resistance of between 10 and 50 ohms.
    IMG_3406.jpg
    Right, switch is coming apart.
    IMG_3388.jpg
    All becomes obvious now. It's full of dust and crap that has mixed with the switch grease and this has compromised the contacts, the deoxit only added fuel to the mixture, I made tools for cleaning etc and it wasn't that difficult once you're in there.
    Here's the rest of the pic's, inc mains switch.
    IMG_3389.jpg IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3391.jpg IMG_3392.jpg IMG_3393.jpg IMG_3394.jpg IMG_3396.jpg

The amp now ( and another JCM800 with same problem the other day ), is so quiet and full, dare I say it, smoother, so much depth, I know this sounds a lot like audiofoolery but I do know this amp, having gigged it for the last 10 years, but basically it's happy and running on all 4 again.

neikeel likes this.
  2. Seanxk

Seanxk Active Member

3. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Good call any variance in current can cause noice . In tube land you hear it all