Split shaft pots adapter?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by Andries, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Andries

Andries New Member

Hi

i bought an 1982 5210 combo
    The pots were worn.
    It had solid shaft pots ,problem was that the solid pots werent available anymore.

so i replaced them with split shaft pots,now i wonder if there,s an adapter so i can use the original pointer knobs with screws on the split shaft pots.

I want to keep it as original as possible

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ive never seen adaptors! Maybe wrap the shafts with aluminum foil tape and then slip the knobs on??

3. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

https://guitarelectronics.com/split...ObRLhy_XFc2x3MKX7SSBHlGHniqRz-YcaAiDHEALw_wcB

No experience with vendor and have seen them at other places.

But what I do is cut rectangles out of old credit cards to fill the slots. Some cards are thicker than others so you can stack 2 or 3 tabs to come up with a perfect fit.

Anything hard will work. I've used scrap maple.

It should be snug but doesn't need to be a tight press fit -- the knob will keep the shim(s) in place.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

Thats good to know. I will remember this if I ever need some of these.

5. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Has anyone ever come across an adapter for D-shape pot shafts to make them a solid shaft?

6. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen D adapters, but I've made them. Just take a rod (plastic, brass, whatever you've got sitting around) and saw it down the middle (or file a flat on it). Put it on the shaft and drop the knob on.
    -----------------
    When converting pot shafts, the holes in the knobs are often bigger than the shafts. So the set screw pushes the knob off center, and it sort of "orbits" the shaft as you turn it (instead of being centered).

Doesn't matter if you put Tele knobs on a Strat. But on an amp where all the knobs are in a straight line, when you turn the knobs some of them may be above the line, others below the line, and/or the spacing between the knobs may vary.

If the eccentricity is enough to bother you, put the shims/D spacer in place and wrap the shaft with masking tape to bring it up closer to the diameter of the knob hole.

headcrash and MarshallDog like this.