Splawn Amps Any Good?

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by jchrisf, Jan 13, 2019.

1. jchrisf

jchrisf Active Member

I'm looking for a hot rodded plexi/800 and have a chance to get a Splawn Quick Rod. I've heard a Marshall Plexi modded by Splawn that sounded awesome but I can't find any decent clips of a Splawn that sound good because of the video quality.

What's the opinion here? Are they good modded Marshalls?

tce63 likes this.
  2. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery Well-Known Member

Absolutely love my Quick Rod. I've gone through a lot of amps of the years, and the QR might just be my favorite. The clean channel leaves a lot to be desired, but the dirty channel more than makes up for it.

tce63 and jchrisf like this.
  3. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Several years ago, I owned a Splawn modded Marshall and a Splawn QR. I sold both, and never looked back.

Deep Purple fan and jchrisf like this.
  4. jchrisf

jchrisf Active Member

Thanks.. does it do a good Hot Rod Plexi? Like Michael R/Ts Plexi's here?

tce63 likes this.
  5. Nitrobattery

It all depends on what kind of hot-rodding you like. The QR is a very unforgiving amp. It'll keep you on your toes for sure. If your technique is ok though, it can be really rewarding. I've had a few Splawns over the years, and while the earlier ones had wonderful aggressiveness to them, they were unbelievably loud with a very barky midrange. The newer ones have a great effects loop return master volume and are a lot more balanced sounding overall. If you're buying new, I'd go all out and get all of the bells and whistles. If buying used, try to get something around 2011 or later.

At the moment I have a QR and a BE-100, and just recently let my Suhr PT-100 go. They're all modded Marshall inspired amps, but they all definitely sound pretty different to each other. It's just about what kind of flavor you're after. The good thing though is that you can always pick up a QR fairly cheap, and if it's not for you, just flip it and get your money back.

Mitchell Pearrow and jchrisf like this.
  6. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman Well-Known Member

How does the Nitro compare to the Quick Rod? I’ve always wanted a Nitro, but all anyone tends to talk about is the Quick Rod. How do these two compare?

7. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

With Splawn, at least the Quick Rod, you might wanna factor in what it is you mostly play, rhythm or lead? JUST MY experience, but the QR is a STELLAR, hot rodded Marshall type amp for high gain rhythm stuff but it was not ideal for lead playing, I mean it was just soooooo tight and dry that I always had to search and use a pedal to add some sponge for soloing. I eventually sold it because it didn't have the "touch sensitivity" I like to feel/hear, especially in the mids, I just gotta have a bit of chew when playing lead - and my QR seemed too dry and tight for it's own good (for my needs). Maybe they've refined it over the years, my QR was bought new in 2011. If they're essentially the same, then, nah, it won't quite sound like R/T's modded Marshall's, which have tightness in the low end, sizzle on the highs but sponge in the mids and more touchy-ness for leads if that makes sense. Not saying you can't play leads on it too, it's just not the amps strong suit.

Just my 0.2. Like someone mentioned, they hold their value pretty well because the build quality and components are top shelf - you could always sell it easily if you don't gel with it

8. Nitrobattery

The Nitro is more saturated, has more low end and is voiced to attracted the Mesa Rectifier crowd. It's kind of a blend of a JCM800 and a Recto. It's a really cool amp. I had both a Nitro and a QR at the same time for a while and did a lot of A/Bing. I ended up selling the Nitro because the QR is a little more my thing, but Nitro is a ripper.

9. proxy

proxy Active Member

I would suggest you to look at Marshall Silver Jubilee.
    That amp will give you Plexi/800 tones.

10. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

I had a Splawn Competition. My JVM410HJS WIPED the floor with it. It was such a beat down I took the Splawn to my tech for a complete CHECKUP, retube and bias. Got it home and the JVM beat its ass as bad.

My amp might have been a so-so specimen. I got it from gigging musician who loved it....so he claimed. It was not horrible but it was not a great amp. It had this mid range I could not dial out. Of all my high end kit, it is memorable as the most disappointing.

Moral of the story— try before you buy. There is a lot of hype sometimes.

jchrisf and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. Deep Purple fan

Great advice.

jchrisf and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Was the mid-range on the Splawn too honky?

jchrisf likes this.
  13. Deep Purple fan

I wouldn’t call it honky. It was not muddy or ear piercing.

jchrisf likes this.
  14. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

Definitely not honky. Really, there's nothing wrong with the QR tonally, it's more a feel issue for the very that don't gel with them (as was my case).

Here is one of the better tracks I recorded with my QR....not my best work lol (just more original instrumental mumbo jumbo) but I think it represents the amp pretty well.

Splawn Track / Download

jchrisf likes this.
  15. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I was eyeballing the Super Sport for a while before I settled with my current amps...

jchrisf likes this.
  16. ampeq

ampeq Active Member

I had a Splawn Street Rod 1-12" combo and it was the best "Marshall" amp I ever played. Mine had everything in it, old / new switch, 4 button foot switch w/ boost, 3 "gears" 1= hot rodded Plexi, 2= hot rodded 800, 3= Super hot rodded 800. Creamback speaker pushing 40+ watts and a 1/2 power switch. It's core sound is very nice if your a Marshall fan, I'm not, I like Carvin and Mesa. If I wanted a Marshall amp it would be a Splawn without a second thought. I had a Marshall 410h also, that Splawn was such a better amp than the 410h. I'm starting to learn something about Marshall that really bugs me, it seems that 2 things pop up all the time with them I'v never seen with Carvin or Mesa, as well as others. 1 is they don't all sound the same, esp. with the 410 series. And 2 almost every amp they make requires some type of mod or mods to get it to work like it should have when it left the factory. I don't want to pay $2500 for a head then have to tear it apart to make it work right. It's such a shame Carvin went out of business, they were always the deal nobody could touch. I still find the X100b amp the best on the market, and for about $700!! My Mesa is a new TC100 and it to is an outstanding amp, I would like to see a couple 5-band EQ's in it. Hughes & Kettner is a new amp to me with an all full lot going for them. There are a lot out there but these are where I draw the line.

jchrisf likes this.
  17. Deep Purple fan

I’ve never done a mod on any of my Marshall’s. I’m not saying mods are bad....but I never had the itch. I found this inconsistency you mention in some of the older models. But, I’ve got to tell you I never had a problem having a Marshall be a marshall. I always get a kick out of it when people say they need Marshall brand x to sound like....you name it....page, young, slash, etc. Really all you need is a great running JCM2000 DSL, a tube screamer, a greenback cab, and delay/reverb in the loop and you can do about anything from Cream, to purple, to Led Zep, to Rainbow, to Bon Jovi, To GnR to you name it.

I agree Carvin was a great loss.

clutch71 and jchrisf like this.
  18. ampeq

ampeq Active Member

Deep, Whats the scoup with the 2000 vs the 800 vs a 900? Which one gives you the most? My Splawn had a modded Plexi, 800, and Super 800 and all 3 sounded very nice. More power, smoother, easy to set up, it was what you pictured when you thought of Marshall. I bought a new 410h that was so far out of wack they sent me another. It did sound better than the first one, but the crunch ch. was the only one I really liked. I don't like the idea of using a drive pedal on a good tube amp, I'v never needed one on my Carvins or Mesa's. The 410h was so over driven on OD1 & 2 I really couldn't even use them, and a noise gate was mandatory. I started reading up on it and got led right down the "these few mod's should take care of it" road. I sold it asap, Mesa released the TC100 which I grabbed and love. I still love my X100b over any amp I'v put it up against. A friend of mine just bought a Hughes & Kettner amp, man does that thing have a lot going for it. Their top unit's are very impressive and can do just about anything you could want.

jchrisf likes this.
  19. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The only mod i ever i did on my 6100's was to convert the Blue Anniversary's channel 3 to LM specs. On an LE or transition head channel 3 sounds like it needs geritol. But that said even stock that amp will give you the tones of all of the above.

jchrisf likes this.
  20. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Had a Quickrod for several years. Splawns have their own thing going on. I wouldn't say the Quickrod sounded like a hot rodded Marshall, unless it would be a hot rodded Jubilee. The tone controls behaved more like a Jubilee (which I also had for several years), than your typical Marshall. The Quickrod sounded more like my 2555SL than it did any of my other Marshall's. The Quickrod had tons of low end, but I don't play bass. I've since sold both the Quickrod and the 2555SL.

jchrisf likes this.