SPEAKER WIRING

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Guv'nor, Nov 2, 2006.

1. markymarc1979

markymarc1979 New Member

Thanks for your help. I'm 99 sure it was wired 8 ohms mono and 16 Stereo, so I'm assuming it's now 8 ohm stereo and 4 ohm mono. But I would like to check it with a multi meter, I have my one that belonged to my father, the only problem is it's one of those mega button auto ranging things so I have no idea where to set it for reading DC resistance!!

2. Wilder Amplification

Wilder Amplification New Member

Look for the "omega" sign on the range dial (looks like a Greek horseshoe :D). That's your "Ohms" setting.

3. markymarc1979

markymarc1979 New Member

Actually, my brain clicked into gear, it is 4 ohm mono and 8 stereo, I read just over 4 ohms in mono and just over 8 in stereo. thanks for your help!!

4. eltelengland

eltelengland New Member

Hello Chaps,

New forum member here. Here's a thread related question. I have a JVM205C standard with 1 off G12C and 1 off G12H. These are wired in series 8 + 8 = 16ohms. Can someone advise how different the combo is likely to sound if I rewire it to run the speakers in parallel ie 8 / 8 = 4 ohms. The combo has the avaliable O/P set-up. Running into 4ohms means the current in the O/P circuits ie amplifier speaker O/P transformer secondary and speaker coils will be higher. Will this warm up the sound in a good way as I suspect the speaker response will be rolled off slightly or will it introduce more non-harmonic type distortion due to the increased current running thorugh the same individual speaker impedances.

I guess I'll have to try it, but does anybody know if there's a general principle here ?

Thanks,

El Tel England

5. eltelengland

eltelengland New Member

Guy's,

Correction to the above, the current through the speaker coils will be the same it's just the amplifier O/P transformer that's operating at a higher current. Question still stands though, is there a general principal here or is each configuration equally good.

Thanks,

El Tel England

6. Tubedude

Tubedude New Member

q moved.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  7. JeromeBasel

JeromeBasel New Member

Hi, first time here. simple question, please simple answer:
    4x8 Ohm Cab, in Mono/parallel - connecting + to + and - to - ? Right?
    But which amp setting? got 4 or 8 ohm on the amp.
    and 2x8 Ohm & 2x16 Ohm, which setting?
    Thank you guys.

8. Wilder Amplification

Lets see....4 x 8 ohm cabs would drop your total load down to 2 ohms (8 ohms / 4 cabs = 2 ohms) so this could not be used on one head.

2 x 8 ohm cabs = 4 ohms (8 ohms / 2 cabs = 4 ohms) so you would set the selector on the amp to 4 ohms.

2 x 16 ohm cabs = 8 ohms (16 ohms / 2 cab = 8 ohms) so you would set the selector on the amp to 8 ohms.

So on your amp the MOST you could run would be 4 x 16 ohm cabs (4 ohms total) or 2 x 8 ohm cabs (4 ohm total) to keep from going below 4 ohms since 4 ohms is the lowest load that your amp can drive safely.

9. Lucius Junius

Lucius Junius New Member

Hi, new to the forum.

I have a JVM205H with a 1960A cab.

Probably someone has asked this before but ... what would be the difference in sound between these two connections?

1) 1x16 Ohm out to 16 Ohm mono in
    2) 2x8 Ohm out to 8 Ohm stereo in

Will I be able to hear the difference? It's the same cabinet ...

Any recommendations?

Thanks

10. Adwex

Adwex New Member

First, 2x8 ohm out will not equal 8 ohms, it will equal 4 ohms.

Second, there will be absolutely no difference.

11. JeromeBasel

JeromeBasel New Member

SPEAKER WIRING, Diagramm

Hi, here is another Link to a good, easy diagram for wiring
    Wiring Diagrams

maybe it helps

12. JeromeBasel

JeromeBasel New Member

How to connect 2 cab's with different speakers?

Hi
    hope for you help again. I've got a cab loaded with 4x12" 16Ohm speakers, wired mono/parallel = 4 Ohm (output amp)
    The 2. cab is loaded with 2x12" 8Ohm speakers (like the Marshall 1936).
    How can I connect both cab's, anybody has a wiring schema/diagram for that case? What for output (ohm) on the amp I should select?
    Thanks for you help, Jerome, Switzerland:fingersx:

13. Wilder Amplification

Re: How to connect 2 cab's with different speakers?

First, the 4x12 cab should be rewired series/parallel. This will give you a 16 ohm load.

[​IMG]

Second, the 2x12 will have to be wired in series. This will give you a 16 ohm load.

[​IMG]

You would then plug them both into the amp and set the amp for 8 ohms.

14. harpmaster

harpmaster New Member

Hi I just purshased a 15 watt valve combo amp it has a ext speaker out that says 8 ohm min I have a mg15 mini stack the speaker cabinets are 16 ohm each they have only 1 input in each could I come out of the amp with a y then go to the two cabinets with out hurting anything would that stay at 16 ohms?

15. Beynon5

Beynon5 New Member

Hey guys can anyone help me, I used a ohm meter on my cab to find out the impedance due to my amp having a funny spell of wierd noises (tip from a guitar tech) and it mesured 9.67 .. should I be using this on the 8ohm setting?

thanks

16. Wilder Amplification

Honestly I'd call into question whether the cab is wired correctly or not, whether you have speakers of mismatched impedance or whether you may/may not have a blown speaker. Usually on 8 ohm cabs you'll see somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7 ohms DC resistance while seeing 12-14 ohms DC resistance on a 16 ohm cab.

Having speakers of mismatched impedance and/or having one/more that may be blown will also make the reading a "non-standard" value.

If you're able to open the cab and take pics we can tell you if it's wired correctly or not plus you'll be able to figure out if the speakers are of mix/matched impedance.

17. Beynon5

Beynon5 New Member

Okay thanks, ill get some pictures up as soon as I can , its a hughes kettner cab with 2 old goodmans speakers in it and 2 celestions , im a totall newbie to the whole cab ohm wiring so iv just left it as I had it and used the input I was told was 8ohm , I'll get the pics up as soon as I can ,

18. Viking62

Viking62 Well-Known Member

Is it ok to have 2 x G12M 8 ohm 25 watt 12" Greenbacks and 2 x G12M 16 ohm Greenbacks 12" 25 watt in the same Cab?

19. Wilder Amplification

You CAN do that, but it will give the cab a non-standard impedance of 5.33 ohms, which can be ran on the 4 ohm tap. Also, if you run a second cab with that cab, the 2nd cab HAS to be a 16 ohm cab and you'll run them on the 4 ohm tap.

20. dugger

dugger New Member

So please tell me if this thought of mine is right or wrong...
    you will not find an 8 ohm speaker, or any combination there of, in a 4x12 4ohm cab? (straight plug in, not mono/stereo)