SPEAKER WIRING

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Guv'nor, Nov 2, 2006.

1. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Yes it's OK.
    Is the amp set to 16 ohms?

SkyMonkey likes this.
  2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Its solid state with minimum 8 ohms, 65W.
    A single 16 ohm speaker will drop power output level lower and maybe be less bright and full.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  3. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

The VS65R has no speaker settings as such, only a single 8 Ohm speaker connected by wires coming from inside the "Head" portion of the combo. It is one of the Valvestate II line and has "Output 65 watts RMS - 8 Ohms" printed on the back. There are no extension speaker jacks, which is why I am attempting to wire in a speaker cable extension lead from the built-in speaker tabs for a separate cab connection.

I know this amp probably does not deserve this kind of attention, but I've got the cab and speakers so I thought I'd have a go. Projects keep me out of trouble!

4. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

The VS265R is kind of a similar amplifier with extension jack. It has the same "Output 65 watts RMS - 8 Ohms" with the difference being that the extension cabinet is placed in series with the internal speaker.
    So 8 + whaterver 4 to 16 ohm cabinet is total impedance. Yes it drops the power output of the amplifier but the additional speaker(s) add acoustic power.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  5. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

If i were you ide be careful dinking around with speakers and wiring with those amps they will blow up if the wind blows in the wrong direction.

Ide keep the ohms at 16 and DO NOT EVER go below 8 with those amps they will fry quick as shit. They have very poor cooling and those output chips are super fragile. They sound good and look kickass ive had 2 of the 50 watt heads, one of the 150 watt 4 channel and one of the 50 watt combos all of them had blown at least once the 50 watt combo blew i fixed it and the stock right angle speaker cord was shorted and before i figured out what it was it blew a second time. Those molded speaker cable are junk also get rid of it also before it fails.

The reason why i say run the amp at 16 ohms is because it runs cooler at 16 so you have less of a chance of nuking it.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  6. SkyMonkey

My VS65R has no moulded speaker cord, just the type of wiring you would expect to find inside a speaker cab. Single red and black wires, spaded.
    I have two 16 Ohm speakers ready to use in parallel, but do also have two 8 Ohm speakers I could run in series.
    It is good to know that running the amp at 16 Ohms with one internal speaker might actually extend the life of the amp.
    It's 22 years old already!

7. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    You will need to use the two 16 ohm speakers you have. one in the combo and one in the extension cab. Run the + and - from the amp speaker to a jack socket and fix it into the back panel of the combo. You now have an extension output for another 16 ohm load. You will be running at 8 ohms with the extension connected and 16 without.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

16 ohms is a good load on an 8 ohm solid state amp.
    It's OK.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  9. SkyMonkey

Made the mods and tested it. All is good. A 1912 cab underneath is the perfect match for the VS65R.
    Changed the tube for a JJ ECC83 and now this amp rocks.

Cheers for the help guys.

mickeydg5 likes this.