SPEAKER WIRING

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Guv'nor, Nov 2, 2006.

1. decoder

decoder New Member

Thanks.

Yep, I have the single creamback in the 2x12 cab (an empty Framus CS 212 I bought online, used). Sounds really great, the larger cab makes a big difference, I suspect some of the sound comes off the 90% closed back of the cab and out of the hole where the second speaker should be, sounds really big.

2. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes. You may say that is an extra large untuned port. It does however act like a partial open back cabinet except shooting forward. So now it is a partial open front cabinet. :agreed:

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Member

I have a Marshall 1960 lead cabinet, I had to take the back off, the cabinet was not working, it's not very old but I had to resolder, a few of the posts they were REAL lose. Anyone know ware I can buy a replacement for that Jack the one thats got the two inputs and the mono, stereo switch for wattage

4. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

E-bay has them but they arnt cheap.

5. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

even though they are the same wired or what ever, isnt there a way to wire a 4X12 so that if any of the speakers fail the cabinet will continue to work?

I may be wrong but one of the diagrams looks to be wired so if a speaker fails or burns a coil so its 0 ohms the other 3 will still work, The other looks like its wired so if one burns the cabinet will no longer produce sound?

Again im probably wrong

6. mickeydg5

With any four speaker cabinet the other speakers should still continue to work. It just ends up with two different conditions if a speaker does go out depending on the wiring scheme.
    The safest bet would probably be the two speaker sets placed in series with each pair paralleled at the cabinet input jack but either scenario would still work.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Member

Thanks for your imput, I'm going to order new plate switch for the Marshall 1960 lead cabinet!
    I m going to check wiring also order new cabinet cable. Not taking any more chances with blowing
    Head! Take care all have great new years!!?

mickeydg5 likes this.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Member

Hi mickeyd5, I got my replacement JVM 205 h yesterday, I ordered cabinet cable, they sent me a 12 Gage cable! I get no sound from my cabinet, it's not the new head, the cable wouldn't work with my little Marshall mini stack either, I was afraid to use the little cable on my new head! Don't want to buy up a transformer. Got to call Marshall tomorrow and ask what type and Gage cable I should use. I've had real bad luck with buying heads lately, One floor modle JVM 410 h and one JVM205 h brand new, just got the replacement head for the 205h but still got to get my 410h head yet! Sorry I forgot to ask ya, I had someone tell me I shouldn't plug
    My JVM'S into to stereo side of my 1960 Marshall lead angle cabinet? I told him I had never herd that you could not use the 16ohm stereo side with one cabinet? I thought it didn't matter as long as I was plugged in to the 16 ohm single Jack on the head.
    I never had any problem with any of my Marshall amps in the past. I used a couple of JCM'S 900 DUAL LEAD HEADS I never had any problems with them. Thanks for your help have great new years!!

9. mickeydg5

You need a multimeter to check both the cable and the cabinet. The cabinet should be set for 16 ohm mono as well as using the heads 16 ohm output option. The larger gauge of speaker cable does not matter. Larger gauges can handle more amperage and ultimately more power.

You could have a bad speaker cable or the cabinet is not working correctly.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  10. toadfish

toadfish Member

I use the Scan-Speak 130mm MPSS01 flow resistor in the back of closed cabs and I like them! Sort of mini rear porting with a semi open back feel! I tried to upload a picture but it's to large I buy mine from www.speakerbits.com who I have no affiliation with! And like the boy's suggested buy a Multimeter and learn how to use it as it will sort out a shitload of problems checking cabs n cords but I wouldn't go stuffing it in High Voltage amps!

11. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Ok I have a jcm900 1960a cab. It has the 2 Jack's 4/8 ohm and the 8/16 ohm. In between is a mono stereo switch.

Does this switch mean its wired to run like 2 2x12 cabs?

If I ran stereo could I slave 2 heads together?

If I could slave 2 heads into the one cab.
    What would the ohms setting be?

12. mickeydg5

The two halves of the 1960 are not separated so I would not run two heads into it. There will be phase issues.

The cabinet can be set to one of three ways:
    mono 16 ohms
    mono 4 ohms
    or dual input at 8 ohms per pair (kind of like two 2x12 but not quite)

LRT#1 likes this.
  13. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

So I would use both outs from head as if it was 2 2x12s stacked?
    And ohms would be set to 8 ohms?
    This is if I understand correctly.

14. mickeydg5

If you have one amplifier and on speaker cabinet then you only need one speaker cable.
    The cabinet gets set to MONO and either the 16 ohm or the 4 ohm option is used for both cabinet and amplifier.

If you want to run more wattage, slaving a second head, then both heads should be kept in phase and using the same signal for best results. With that setup then two speaker cables are required, one from each amplifier to the cabinet using STEREO option and the individual 8 ohm input connections. It still going to sound mono but with more power and maybe color. Do not overpower the cabinet.

15. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

If I dont slave two heads, but want to run both out puts. Do I switch to stereo and set head to 8ohms out put.
    This is what I'm understanding.
    If this is correct what will it do to the sound?
    Do I need to keep volume down to not push the speakers to hard?

16. mickeydg5

Refer back to post #352.

The two amplifier speaker jacks connect to the same output. They are paralleled connections. Both are used when utilizing more than one cabinet for convenience.

17. LRT#1

LRT#1 Well-Known Member

Thanks mickey

mickeydg5 likes this.
  18. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Sorry. I can't face trawling through this whole thread to find the answer I need.

I am looking to wire in a speaker cable to a solid state combo (VS65R) to allow connection to a 112 extension cab. The load of the combo is no less that 8 Ohm, so I am installing 16 Ohm speakers in the combo and cab for wiring into parallel, for an 8 Ohm load.
    All the diagrams for speaker wiring seem to have disappeared from the start of this sticky thread (at least on my PC), so could someone advise how to do this.
    I am intending to cut an old speaker cable, strip the wires and install spade connectors, then clamp the cable to the combo chassis (open back). The cable will then just plug into the cab below the combo. Cay you advise how to connect this up correctly?

Cheers guys.

19. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

upload_2019-3-30_3-30-39.png parallel speaker wiring. 2X 16 ohm speakers in parallel = 8 ohms.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  20. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

So I would be right to work out which wire of the speaker cable goes to which terminal in the cab speaker. Then connect the cable spades to the second tabs of the corresponding terminals of the combo speaker?

If so, then cheers AMS!

I will post again soon when I've managed to try it out. Still waiting on a speaker cable delivery.

BTW, how would you expect the combo to sound with only its 16 Ohm speaker connected (louder/quieter/darker), and how safe would that be to run?