Speaker test V30 v G12T75 v G12H30 v G12K100

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by JohnH, Aug 19, 2009.

1. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

2. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

Jesus... Vintage 30's all the way, my heart skipped a beat when it went from the 30's to the 75 watters... holy shiot

3. American Viking

American Viking Well-Known Member

You know what I'd like to see is a shootout between Vintage 30's and the Veteran 30's from Warehouse Speaker Co.

4. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

Man, this makes me remind myself how much I am grateful I switched to the V30 speakers.

5. gtrman

gtrman New Member

Wow ..... just WOW !

I have been thinking about changing my live setup from 1960 to 1960AV .....
    now I'm REALLY convinced !

6. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

Its a bit shocking isn't it? I heard the V30 and thought yep, that sound good, lets see what the others can add, but the V30 sounded way better. Thats cool with me, I just bought another one. I was expecting more from the others though, particularly the G12H30

While we are listening to sound tests, this site is also very good:
    trinityamps.com :: View topic - BGroup Music Trinity Amps Speaker Test

There are several amps and cabs played clean and dirty with consistent riffs. This time the Celestion offerings include V30, Greenbacks, G12T75 and Classic Lead. The Greenies and V30 are fairly similar, but I still vote V30.

John

7. chewy

chewy New Member

I nearly went for the K-100s but I'm glad I didn't after hearing that

8. jcmjmp

jcmjmp Well-Known Member

The K100 was pretty much the worst of the bunch IMO.

The G12H-30 70th is not the best speaker. That V30 sounded better. They should have tested a Real G12H-30.

The G12T-75 isn't too bad. I actually kinda liked it in that demo. V30 was OK - A little too much high mids IMO, which is what I've been saying all along. Sounds nice with the G12T-75. The WGS version is supposed to fix that.

9. lakehaus

lakehaus Member

That was good! I have an angled 4x12 cab w/ V30s & G12T's, and a B cab w/ G12H-30 & G12M-25 greenbacks. They're totally different - and each serve their purpose.

10. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

To be fair, the V30 sounded significantly better but, I'm sure a proper "EQing" would have helped the others. IMO though...

11. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

i agree with you on that , i myself like the g12h's better than the v30's for
    classic rock (lower gain stuff) , but then i love what my v30' s sound like when playing the more aggressive modern metal type stuff . i think to really
    get a good comparision you would need to have a couple different cabs loaded with the different speakers and try them out , for best results !!:fingersx:

12. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I think the point made above about EQ is a good one - a test with all settings the same lets you understand how each speaker is different, but to hear how good each can be, each deserves to be seperately EQed. Also, a louder speaker will have an advantage over a less efficient one in a sound test, unless the levels are made equal.

Meantime, Id like to show you something else. Appologies in advance if this is getting too nerdy, but I found it interesting and wanted to share.

I play a DSL401 and a Crate Powerblock, and I have been using a generously sized closed back 1x12 cab that I built, as an extension speaker. Since I've had this, it has had in it the stock Goldback speaker from the DSL401, but yesterday my new V30 arrived so I put it in.

But before I did, I set up a test so I could understand the difference objectively. Using the Powerblock, driven to a slight crunch, I set up a short loop on my delay pedal based on an A-chord rythm. I recorded this with a mic offset from the cone centre and about 6" back. Volume was quite low. Then, leaving the loop intact and not touching any settings, I stopped the amp, changed the speaker to the V30 and ran it again with all the same settings, using the same loop.

Here is the result, Goldback v Vintage 30. I run each vesrion alternately three times each, starting with the Goldback, then at 3 1/2 sec (two bars) it changes to the V30, then back to the GB at 7 sec etc.

SoundClick artist: John Hewitt - page with MP3 music downloads

This is a crispy new V30 and a well used Goldback, but what surprised me was how little difference there is. The sound level is not adjusted and my software tells me that the signal from both are almost identical in level, to within 0.1 db, which is suprising when the V30 is a perticularly efficient type. The perceived tonal sound difference is slight, with a bit more highs on the GB and mids on the V30, but both sound fine to me.

I'm expecting though, that the V30 will develop as it breaks in, and at higher volume I think it will cope better too.

Anyway I hope that was of passing interest to some!

cheers

John

13. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

Wow, what a great comparion!! Thanks so much for posting this!!

I assume you left the amp on the same settings for each take, and I agree the V 30's had the best vibe with however the amp was set. BUT...if I had a cabinet of all the other speakers, I'd be tweaking the amp to make them sound a lot better. Your setiing had a sweet spot for the V30's. I'm no G12T75 fan in general but I bet I could have made them sound a LOT better had I played with my amp settings. So while this is a fun test, I would take it with a grain of salt.

Ken

14. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

I also agree, The V30 sounds great.

15. george76

george76 New Member

vintage 30's are cracking speakers. i had an orange 4x12 with those in, best cab i have ever used.

i think with speakers you have to match them to the style of music. a vintage 30 will sound better for modern rock. but if you play slower bluesier music i think you cant beat greenbacks or G12H.

16. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

George are you referring that the V30 is a distortion style speaker like the Greenback?

17. thelorddread

thelorddread New Member

i need an upgrade....

18. Landshark

Landshark Well-Known Member

+1:dude: Cause I've been thinking about putting those in my cab rather then paying out for celestions.

19. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

20. Heavy Ed

Heavy Ed New Member

I'm just curious how they EQ'd the amp. Did they set it up for the V30 and then run the rest off of that setting, or was it set flat? Obviously the V30 sounded best in that clip, but what if they EQ'd the amp for the GT75 how would the others sound then? I've heard all 4 of these speakers separately and all sound great when paired with the right amp and EQ'd properly. And some (V30+GT75) sound fantastic together.:hmm:IMHO I wouldn't make any judgements on what speaker to use based solely on that short clip.