Speaker suggestions for 1x12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by Jd6424, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Jd6424

Jd6424 New Member

Hello everyone, I need some help choosing the right 1x12 or 1x10 speaker to go with a couple of Marshall heads, right now I have the DSL1HR 1 watt and getting ready to order the Origin 20H. Looking to get the best Marshall tone of the late 60s to late 70s as much as you can from a single 1x10 or 1x12 cabinet. I've been told that the Celestion G12M Greenback sounds weak when used as a single, any truth to that ? I really need help with this and would appreciate it. Thanks

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I hadnt heard this about the greenback but why not just do a 2x12 it will surely sound better than a 1x12 any way, that is the right speaker to go with for sure. I have a greenback 2x12 that sounds fantastic. Also have a creamback 1x12 that sounds pretty good but a 2x12 will always sound better. :yesway:

3. Filipe Soares

Filipe Soares Well-Known Member

in my experience, lately, the G12CV is a great speaker for a 1x12 because it has an extra bass. the cab does not sound "thin" at all.

Mr. Natural likes this.
  4. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I don't think greenbacks sound weak on their own at all.

Mr. Natural likes this.
  5. Jd6424

Jd6424 New Member

I shouldn't have said WEAK, the following is a excerpt from a Guitar Player article on 1/19 which was about the mid 60s Marshall 4x12 cabinets.

"Marshall needed four of them, initially, because they were capable of handling just 20 watts of power individually, and the full rage of the cranked head could be trusted only with a quartet. Individually, the mid-’60s Celestion G12Ms are rather soft in the lows and sizzlingly crispy in the highs, but group four together in a closed-back box and the magic really happens. There’s nothing quite like standing in front of a good Marshall 4x12 while playing an amp that’s at least semi-cranked. The punch and solidity produced by such a broad soundstage moving all that air is quite unlike the experience of playing through a 1x12 or 2x12 cab." You're going to get that "magic" out of most 4x12 cabinets, pushing that much air is going to sound completely different than using the same speakers in a 1x12 or even a 2x12 configuration. I don't know how much of a difference there is between the 60s made Celestion speakers and the ones made today. Besides having my cake I want to eat it too, or at least have a healthy slice of it.

6. Jd6424

Jd6424 New Member

I have a Marshall JTM C212 cabinet, they were the extension cabinet for the Marshall JTM60 2x12 Combo amps that came out in the mid 90s. I sold the amp years ago (HUGE mistake) because of over heating problems and you almost needed a forklift to move it. This cabinet has 2 Celestion Heritage G12H 16 ohms rated at 140 watts and sounds AWESOME, the reason I want a 1x12 or 1x10 is for portability, it weighs about 40 pounds and awkward as hell lugging it around that and I like building stuff.

7. Filipe Soares

man, if weight is a issue... go with the neos... my 2x12 loaded with 2 century vintage weighted 11kg, the 1x12 with a v30 weighted 2kg less.

tschrama likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

A 2x12 slant cab with a couple neo creambacks thats the answer! Or if you gotta have the 1x12 make that, heres my 1x12 with a creamback I just made:

[​IMG]

Sustainium and tce63 like this.
  9. Jd6424

Jd6424 New Member

LOL I completely understand what you're saying butbI'm not a young man anymore and don't heal so fast when wrenching my back loading and unloading that cabinet without tearing it up a having RA don't help either. It's not like I can't do and more like I don't Want to do it.

10. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

I would agree with @Filipe Soares about the G12 Century Vintage (I have one too), but they are now discontinued.
    If you can find one new, well done. They are a great neo speaker, like a tamed V30, and so light (3.7 lb).
    The Neo Creamback is the lightest 12" speaker Celestion make at present (4.2 lb).
    But another good all round speaker is the V-Type. Cheaper, and still fairly light (7.2 lb). Like a slightly more tamed V30!

11. Filipe Soares

It was not a criticism. I'm totally with you. I was looking for a pair of neo creambacks, but there were two century vintage for a steal so I bought them. If you want good tone and low weight, take a look in the neo creamback and the century vintage. Now one of the century vintage is in a 1x12 and it is so freaking light! Weights like 6kg.

12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

A Greenback as a stand alone speaker in a 1-12 cab is a bit thin sounding, imo,...and some folks at Celestion are of that same opinion.

when I was in the market for a speaker for a 1-12 cabinet for my Dsl1hr I called Celestion to ask their opinion on a few speakers. The person I talked to was very knowledge and insightful.

I thought a 20 watt Greenback would be perfect for my 1 watt head, he didn’t agree.

He said that while Greenbacks are great speakers, they are best used in 4-12 cabs and to a slightly lesser extent 2-12 cabs, but not a as a single speaker. He suggested a G12M-65 Creamback.

I took his advice and never looked back. The Creamback sounds phenomenal in a 1-12 cab! This was a couple of years ago. A few months ago I was on Reverb looking a 12” speaker for another 1-12 cab.

I found a great deal on a 2007 made in the UK Celestion G12M Greenback! I had to buy it! I put it in my 1-12 cab and tried all my amps,(5), through it,...guess what?

They all sounded a bit thin. I went back and forth between the two 1-12 cab with all five amps, but it just sounded weak and thin sounded,...especially when compared to the Creamback.

The Creamback is incredible! It sounds full, thick and rich sounding, very dynamic with great balance between the highs, mids and bottom end.

I ended up using that Creamback cab with my SC20. :D