Sozos for a SS Lead 30?

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by jasyr, Dec 4, 2019.

1. jasyr

jasyr New Member

Are there any caps in the signal path that i can replace with Sozo ? Has anyone done this? (Mine is a late-80s version.) Just thought it could sound smoother... late 80s were probably cheap parts?

Thanks, j

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

It most likely won’t fit the circuit board the sozos are for point to point

3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Please do not believe for one minute that replacing caps with Sozo is going to make anything sound smoother.

4. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

Different caps will not make it sound any different. Internet BS. Different values will obviously but type or brand, no.

5. jasyr

jasyr New Member

all i know is some years ago i did the 'multiple caps on cardboard & alligator clips to tone pot' and found that a .o22 and .015 mustard cap sounded best to me, of various manufacturers. Then ordered a dozen of each for my various guitars at the time. Recordings showed they all had that nice footprint i discovered for myself.

I'm not an amp builder or tech guy by any means. I just play the damn things. The amp is now 30 years old and thought it might be a low-cost thing to do for maintanance. (Already got a new speaker for it.)

Would re-capping make any more or less sense due it being a transister amp & not tube?

Thanks, j

6. scott-colorado2016

scott-colorado2016 Active Member

A recap job usually refers to replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply section.

wakjob likes this.
  7. JM5010

JM5010 Member

If it’s a Master Lead 30, you can go ahead and replace the electrolytic caps. I didn’t hear much difference when I did it to mine, but those caps are old...

8. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

You likely get more realistic tonal modification by downing a swig or two of this:

image.png

Just Oilin'
    Gene

9. jasyr

jasyr New Member

ok, i don't have exprience with amps. But there are a lot of amp threads talking of the virtues between
    Mullard
    Sozo Standard
    Sprague 225P & 225PW
    Mallory 150
    El Menco DP
    CDE DP (look identical to El Menco)
    CDE WMF
    so they are deluded? Or is this special for tube amps rather than Solid State?

10. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I replaced a BUNCH of caps in my Lead Mosfet 100 with various film caps like Sozo, ect...not worth it.

DEFINITELY replace any polarized electrolytic caps you see in there. The amp will have less "hiss" and/or floor noise at idol. And it may bring back some of the punch the amp originally had when new.

P.S. great little amps, those Lead 30's are.

11. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

No Sir,

Those folks are not deluded, but any changes can be quite small and subtle. And yeah, it's a little bit more of a "thing" with a tube amp. Bear in mind that these "subtle" changes provide only tiny amounts of variation, much like tweaking a 500 horsepower race car engine to squeak out an extra 2 or 3 horsepower.

We must also remember that tonal nuances are more for the player's comfort. The only difference the audience will experience is that a supremely, comfortably confident player may give a more inspired performance when his/her tone is exactly where/how he wants it to be, intead of struggling with a rig that he/she doesn't like sound of!

With all that said, if changing out your caps makes you perceive a more pleasing tone that inspires you to write a new song that becomes the anthem of a generation, who is anyone to say you're wrong? :dude:

Just My $.02 & Likely Worth Much Less!
    Gene

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019