Sold the Jubilee....

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 13, 2019.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

The Jubilee is best when you get the Output Master just at that spot where you feel it kick in, just like an extra gear. That spot usually is around 6 to 7 on the old vintage Silver/Black Jubilee amps. My Clone reacts a bit differently - somewhere in the middle of a 2203 and and 2555.

I run my Jubes Lead Master 7 to 10. Then try to get that Output Master up, but still is too loud in most situations to run that sweet spot of 6 ish. My Jube 2555 Clone also has a PPIMV.

The reason the 2203/4 and the Jubilees have that different master volume reaction is due to the audio signal levels coming upstream before their respective master volumes. The 2203/4 amps have no diode clipping and then the audio signal swing is much hotter in a 2203/4. The Jubes is lower and and also a bit more compressed and controlled. And then also, the Jubilee master volume pot is a 250K and the 2203/4 is a 1MEG . . . .

Kinkless Tetrode and ken361 like this.
  2. RickyLee

@Adrian R , its is too bad you could not have the JVM and Jube at the same time for awhile. I am curious if they run the same transformers? Oh, but then you are getting the 50W JVM.

Anyone out there with the JVM 410H and the 2555X? If so, can you verify if they use the same transformers from the factory?

The 2555X does have a choke?

3. RickyLee

First clip is the '87 Silver 2555 running four EL34, 2nd clip is the 2555 Clone running two 6550 at half power. First clip has single coil neck pickup at the end. I goof at end saying original Silver needs its master volume set lower than the clone. That is opposite as the clone reacts more like a 2203 as it needs its master volume set a bit lower to be equal to the vintage Silver Jube.

4. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have fx in my loop including the G3 with EQ. Velcro the cables rogether from the pedal board and go. I've never found it to be an issue. I run them around the side of the board and gaffer tape down.

5. wardal

wardal Member

The 2555x does indeed have a choke. Check the website amp reviews from tony mckenzie. He verifies that they are the same transformers.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  6. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Great !......on my laptop, I hear they sound pretty close ?......if so !......Nice job Ricky !

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I've heard this before and it made me want to buy the SJ. I never knew it could sound so close to a JCM 800.. the best video I've seen and heard to demonstrate that fact. They both sounded identical when the chords were ringing but the Clone just had a little extra something I like when you first picked them.. and on the palm mutes too.

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Good tones! those speakers give it that mids I like! combo is more scouped with a greenback. A V30 might be that ticket.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  9. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I hear you in what you are saying and you are correct about the volume change in between the 2 channels . The way I use mine is with healthy volume (between 5-7 on both volumes ) and it works like that for me .

ken361 likes this.
  10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

same here no problems