Sold the Jubilee....

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 13, 2019.

1. herbvis

herbvis Active Member

How the hell do you pick which one to play! Nice collection.

Mitchell Pearrow, RickyLee and scozz like this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Nice collection of Marshalls @RickyLee! :thumb:

Mitchell Pearrow and RickyLee like this.
  3. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

LOL

Well, the decision has been quite easy with that JVM 410H in the collection.

Trying to get the few I have built in better tonal shape so they can get in there too . . . .

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Quick question Ricky , would you have the link where you posted your review on EL34's iirc ?
    That was great !

5. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Got over the fantasy that they’re as good as the originals hey?
    :)

6. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

7. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Um, not sure I could have commented. I never owned the original. All I did was note the changes that were made with respect to the original that to me seemed to be an improvement. It had a really slick biasing system! You could run any power tube you want. Plus, and I bet this is true with most Marshalls now, consistency. During the 800 era and back... component tolorences varied more greatly then they do today. No two 800s sounded alike. They were close for sure but their were gems, and then some not so gems. Today, geezz, a given amp sounds nearly identical within production runs.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  8. plexilespaul

plexilespaul Well-Known Member

Adrian make it a point in your life to hear a 100 watt 1987 jubilee.
    I am playing boogies lately... mark1...so I am on a Marshall diet but I heard the reissue and the original is much better. how much better? depends on what you are looking for. if you fancy the great tones of the 80"s those hot rodded plexis and the greatest sounding jcm 800 that's the jubilee!!!! big big tone!! those huge dagnall trannies and the way they built the original make a difference.
    rock on!!!

9. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I haven't found any amp that tops the 100 watt Jubilee. Sounds great at any volume. I run two boosts upfront and then a volume boost in the loop for solos. I did really like the TSL I played but the DSL just never clicked with me. The JVM was a lot of fun but it had too much noise for me. The HJS sounded a lot better to me.

10. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

11. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

when I was amp shopping , to my ears, the jubilee mini didn't sound good. sounded real thin and lacking ass. I demoed it at Sam Ash store and had ORange cabinets with great speakers and marshall cabs. But I am sure some can get them to sound good. I played that same day a 2203 reissue and was blown away on the sound but price was insanely high

12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

got to crank the output master way up my combo is very thick sounding and dynamic! Slash has the old and new one in his rig it must be good:)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow and Crikey like this.
  13. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

So how are the JVM owners getting around the over heating issue? At what year did Marshall resolve the glue problem shorting the pcb?

FWIW: I want a JVM also. :coffee:

14. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Problem with many of the new Jubes is that from Marshall they were way overbiased as mine was when I first got it. It sounded terrible. But, then I warmed it up, allowed more blood more to flow...and wow, HUGE difference. But I know what you are saying. I briefly owned a 2203ri...some guy traded me straight up for a flying V. It immediately sounded better then any other amp I had, and get this, it was ill! It had problems in where I could get it to a proper bias set. I traded him back, and he returned it to GC. 2203RIs are insanely priced.

15. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I remember back in 2015 when the 2555X came out. There were tons of people complaining about them sounding bad. I got one shortly after they came out but thanks to the people here I checked the bias before I returned it. I had one side at 80 and the other at 60. I biased them both to 73 and the amp really came to life. I tried a mini and I hated it. I don't think the mini has the same bias circuit. I seem to remember reading that they have some sort of auto bais or a type that cannot be adjusted. That could be why they don't sound very good.

Crikey likes this.
  16. jchrisf

jchrisf Well-Known Member

I will be very curious to hear how this turns out for you @Adrian R. I have an interest in the same type of amps but I've always heard that the JVMs are a bit sterile.

17. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

I just spent 2 loud hours with my 87 50 watt. Rocks.

18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Mine MJ sounds very good. But that was after rolling in some better tubes. I didn't like right out of the box.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  19. Kostas

Kostas Member

The mini doesn't allow the user to bias the amp so people try to change it with different tubes and make it sweeter, colder etc.

The 2555X is a versatile amp, it can take different octal tubes. I was just watching this video, if you have the time & money you can experiment with different type of tubes and bias to taste. And you can do it easily.

It was an A-B test with the same guitar & cab or you heard the amps individually? Comparing a 32 year old amp with a current...you'll hear differences, the capacitors have deteriorated. As far as the transformers there's a post from Santiago saying they are the same. They are still big and the amp is heavy. It reminded me the weight of the 1959HW I had, I checked the specs and the SJ is slightly heavier.

plexilespaul likes this.
  20. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

X-formers in a 2555x are huge. This amp sounds great. Lead is where this head is at.