Sold the Jubilee....

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Adrian R, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member

Yes, I didn't think I ever would, but in the end it just had to go. Great amp, awesome build quality, nice features, but I just like the sound of the modded DSL 100 and 800 more.

Next amp to investigate is a JVM. I REALLY like having a boost circuit for soloing. The Jube was so/so at it (don't like using FX loop) of course the 800 you simply cannot...

The 2204 just sounds killer...the epitome of the Marshall sound. Great recording amp.

So out of all the Marshalls I have owned over the years I just cannot get away from the modded DSL...has that old school, all tube, natural sound, with plenty of gain....but also has flexibility for gigging.

I am looking forward to experimenting with the JVM.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

A JVM just might be the ticket for you, after reading what sounds you prefer. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the JVM line.

MarshallDog and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Likewise here as well.

MarshallDog likes this.
  4. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

...good move..modded DSL's do it all well....jmp 50 & dsl ...throw a jtm45 in..ya got it all covered

5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

I hear you man about selling off a Jube. I had a 1987 2X12 Jube. It was good but not that good and in the end, it went on down the road. IMO, they have their own sound and they are NOT a two channel amp at all meaning switching between the two is useless with the volume changes.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah Dog I agree completely, no disrespect to the amps or their owners, but they seem to sound quite different, to me, from other Marshalls. I mean all Marshalls have their own thing going on as far as tone is concerned, but they all have something in common with each other too.

Not the case with the Jubilee imo. I really can't put my finger on it, it's just different in a way that doesn't 'do it' for me.

7. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have a heavily modified DSL 100 with upgraded transformers and a choke added, same thing done on one of my TSL 100 as well. Then I have two 6100's - early version then the LM. Then I have many early 800's, 4010's then the 2204. Two Split Channel 800's, then an '87 Silver Jube 2555, '89 2550 and a hand wired clone 2555. Also - 900 MK III and an SL-X. So with all those Marshalls, which amp keeps going to the gigs and jams????

JVM 410H. Covers all the bases and then some more.

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Hey Adrian I guess there is a thread on here which details which mods you had done to the DSL?
    or just tell me which ones and I will research further.
    Thanks
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. Adrian R

Hey Ricky, not sure I need all the flexibility of the 410....I am thinking 205 or 210. Does it benefit with a choke or OT upgrade?

10. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Never mind Adrian I found it...
    "I love my DSL with the mods. Classictone/Heyboer trannys and a 3H choke; that's it. Cool bias too...Acts allot like an 800....short volume taper and plenty of good organic, high fidelity crunch."
    BP
    p.s. and many thanks to Micky.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  11. RickyLee

If you do not need all of the 410, go for the 205H. The 50W is more than sufficient. My buddy just got a like new 205H for a great price. I have jammed with him a few times so far with my 410H and his 205H sounds great. he bought that newer foot controller that has the 6 switches and is easier to see the LED indicators than my older style JVM 6 button foot controller.

With the 205/210, you can still assign 6 different modes on the foot controller. Or set up one for the MV boost ect.

As for the choke and transformer upgrades? I am thinking Santiago designed these first series JVM to where a choke is not all that much needed. I am still on the fence on installing one in mine. But what keeps stopping me is first off. Ilke to tight low end I have right now. I do not want any more looseness there that people put the choke in for. The heaters design in these amps keeps them very quiet anyway. Also, it would not do you any good to install a choke unless you change/lower the filtering value anyway. That is why I have not bothered with the choke mod as I would have to pull the main PCB and swap out two filter cans.

And these amps already have quality output transformers as far as my ears can tell. Will you get any more improvement from a diferent output transformer? I think it would be very minimal if any.

The modes you lose with the 205/210 would probably not bother you anyway. Just the Plexi mode and two Fender clean modes. You can swap out a couple components on the OD channel if you would want to have the sound of the 410 which is more on the classic tones than the more modern tones. But EQ tweaking can get it close anyway.

Adrian R and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. Adrian R

Ricky, if you don't mind me asking, what was a 'good price' for the 205H?

Thanks!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

Give me a SJ + pedal, and I've got all the "channels" I need.

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 205 in channel 1 Red mode is close to a hot rod 800 with the neg feedback mod. If this is enough gain for you. If not you woild still need a pedal. That's partly why I went with a 410. I mean, why not? Even if you don't need the features its not oodles more money.

It can sound very close ro an 800 with that mod but has all the other gainy stuff plus 2 MV.
    Sold!!

15. Adrian R

Oh no doubt. Great amp man..super tight with a great EQ. But as I mentioned, and this is purely subjective, the all tube signal paths to me are warmer, more natural sounding. Great amp though..totally.

16. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep I'm keeping my Jubes. But then I like to change up the flavors.

17. Adrian R

Oh dude, I hear ya man...I had the matching cab...it was a really good looking amp....but I have other hobbies to feed.... and I wasn't using it as much as the DSL or the 800... I really hate coughing up mucho extra cash...for something else... I want to retire someday comfortably!

18. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Active Member

The SJ is an all tube path amplifier, but I know what you're saying... The SJ does not generate preamp tube distortion. With the SJ, you have the option of using two different configurations of diode clipping, or no diode clipping at all. The SJ's diode clipping feels more like playing a plexi + drive pedal, only better, IMO. Shut the diode clipping off, and the SJ isn't that much different from a NMV JMP. The SJ is basically a NMV JCM w/optional diode clipping.

19. RickyLee

I don't know what a good price is on these, but my friend got his 205H in like new condition with a like new 1936 Vintage cab. $800 just the head and no foot controller.

I got my 410H with foot controller just over $600 as that was figuring what I had in the little combo amp I used as part trade in the deal with the guy.

20. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You didnt need that gray stinking amp, black and gold forever brother! :yesway:

I saw you asking what the JVM205H goes for, $750-$950 is what I see. If youre up for it its just a few hundred more for a brand new one with a coupon code, I think they were trying to sell me one for $1299 at my store. Get a new one and send it back in 45 days if you dont like it. Youre gonna like it though LOL.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.