So Many Amps So Little Time...

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by pleximaster, Oct 11, 2018.

1. pleximaster

pleximaster Well-Known Member

43004249_144353929851810_8674762876155592704_n.jpg I have new medical issues with my aorta and aneurysm and I was on the operation table again 5 hours yesterday... Now a day for recovery and more tomorrow!

I don't have time for this now!

1. I got a mains transformer that needs to be installed for the Pete Townshend dual rectifier amp that I am restoring for a friend.

2. I got an incoming jtm45/100 PA with Baxendall circuitry that needs TLC

3. An all white front that is in good shape minus the Deluxe RS OT (Expensive! :) )

4. Potentially another Pig 200 that is s super mess like my first one.

I can't spend my time being sick! :)

plexi

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    LyseFar, EndGame00, TAZIN and 4 others like this.
  2. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Plexi best wishes for a speedy recovery. Love watching your restorations.

pleximaster likes this.
  3. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Get well Plexi and get back to work!

Russ

pleximaster likes this.
  4. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

Get well soon (I thought you had the Ao fixed?).
    Edit- typed and deleted lots of techy questions.
    You can always send me the early JTM45 ;)

pleximaster likes this.
  5. pleximaster

I stared leaking in the grafts... :)

plexi

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Get better soon and then get busy!

pleximaster likes this.
  7. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery...

pleximaster likes this.
  8. eastsidecincy

eastsidecincy Member

Get well buddy...we need those Marshalls repaired!

pleximaster likes this.
  9. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Pleximaster ~ Best wishes for a quick healing. :) :) :) :)

pleximaster likes this.
  10. pleximaster

Thank you all for the cheers! I am on leave from the hospital for the weekend. I am very tired but it’s much better being with you family for recovery than being hospitalised. I stupid thing today thought I was stronger than I am and walked to my youngest school to surprise and pick her up. I wasn’t really up for it and was totally exhausted when I arrived not boosting my daughters beliefs that her father is feeling better...

Will take it easy though now

Best plexi

There seems to be a missed fedex delivery for me (wonder what that could be) but no weekend delivery and Monday I’ll be back at the hospital!

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

How loud do they let you play your Marshall stack, when you are in the hospital room?
    Does the hospital supply Strat, or LP?

12. pleximaster

I don´t know what hospitals you guys are used to? :) Here in Sweden we have public hospitals (fortunately we have free healthcare) I am staying at the University Hospital Lund/Malmoe and they don´t allow amps and stuff at their sites. Last year when I spend a whole month at the hospital, the last week I finally got a private room I could squeeze in a Gibson Nighthawk in a gig bag in my locker room, so I could kill some time when I felt ok. But most of the time I was´t feeling good enough to play...

plexi

13. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"...they don´t allow amps and stuff at their sites..."

WTF kind of hospital "IS" that? :lol::lol::lol:

Get well soon dude.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    pleximaster likes this.
  14. pleximaster

I felt better today so I actually got some time to do some amping as I am home on "probation" from hospital. :)
    Even the wife was ok with this as it is not as hard work as doing gardening or rebuild an old bathroom into a closet! :) (Which are the things she wants me to do but know I can't do it to the moment just recently having major surgery!

Kids had sports activities so I started with fixing up a 1967 totally messed up three knob Marshall 200 The Pig. The boards main board and the cap board were totally messed with and had big extra holes drilled in them that I filled with epoxy. The middle board is missing completely. I replaced turrets on the main board an remove the 4 remaning ones on the cap board to make the filling easier. I populated the board for Pig Lead specs 500uf on the first cathode 1.5K resistor.

I also made the board ready for dual bias pots as these amps run on such high voltage so you need at least two! (I usually only run Majors and 200 with two power tubes KT88 as they are loud enough for home use.

Here is a pic of the filled major cap board. (epoxy don't handle heat well so I can't put new turrets in the filled area.

IMG_0985.JPG

Here is the populated board without wires. A mix of original parts and some reclaimed ones from the same timeframe
    IMG_0984.JPG

Tomorrow back to reality and hospital... Would be cool if I could bring my amp parts a tools with me! :)

plexi

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    neikeel, tomsvintage and CoyotesGator like this.
  15. tomsvintage

tomsvintage Well-Known Member

Excellent work as usual Pleximaster :) You did well not violating the rules of your hospital probation ! It would be nice if the nurses could roll some amping tools into your room for you upon your return. Thanks for sharing and please heal well :)

pleximaster likes this.
  16. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

best wishes.

pleximaster likes this.
  17. pleximaster

Someone ask in pm about the Jtm45/100 PA project. I am hospitalised so I can’t take pics right now. But it is actually going to be a hybrid of two amps that had a ruff history one being used as a doner amp and the other was hit by lightning, with every part having to be evaluated if being reused.

The chassis being the one from 7404 (You can look at it at amparchives what it looked like some years ago) and it was a Baxendall tone stack PA amp and I am keeping it that way. The front will be replaced. It sported a replaced OT back then but the "lightning" amp actually had a working OT (But not MT) so the transformers will be a mix.

I´ll try to get some work in progress pics when I get home again!

best plexi

tomsvintage likes this.
  18. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Active Member

Positive vibes and prayers for a good recovery.

ricksconnected likes this.
  19. pleximaster

I am in and out of the hospital trying to get home to sleep at least (easier to do than in the hospital environment) Here is the camera on the phone stopped working but I got my daughter to send me some pics of the JTM45/100 I mentioned I was working on. The two amps that will become one! :) Romantic right. I need to have some distraction at the hospital so having these amp projects going is a good thing. I can sit here and plan how I should restore them and also source parts! :)

One of the amps had a totally smashed from plexi panel but good back panel the other one was the opposite with a swiss cheese drilled back panel and chassis. Both were original Baxendall PA amps which are the best platform for stompboxes (Unfortunately I don't own a singel one! Only amps, well perhaps I have one pedal I built my self somewhere....)

plexi IMG_0989.jpeg IMG_0991.jpeg IMG_0992.jpeg

tomsvintage likes this.
  20. pleximaster

I am back home and will be on sick leave for some time to recover. I have even got "OK" from my wife to do some amp work as it is less physically exhausting than gardening and house renovation that she would want me to do but I can't at present! :) I dod som minor work yesterday on a 18 watter and it was fun.

But she has forbid me to work on any marshall 200 or majors as they are too heavy to lift.

However I do get easily tiered so it will be slow process... Todays plan is to start slow by replacing a few UK plugs on some vintage Bulgin cords with Scandinavian plugs... you should start slowly... But only after the daughters have had their concert with the church choir! :) :) :)

plexi

tomsvintage, neikeel and ibmorjamn like this.