-so I'm Homeless,... I Mean I'm Ampless!!-

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by SG~GUY, Apr 19, 2017 at 2:41 PM.

1. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I really didn't want to sell the KK, priced it high, someone bought it through the "buy it now" option on reverb, I thought about saying no, but I talked myself into it, by using the "I'll pick another one up down the road" lie,.. Same lie I told myself about selling my 76 JMP,

2. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

Same. I'm afraid I'll like it [digital].

Kiko and SG~GUY like this.
  3. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-dam it DMANN!!!... have I gotten that predictable?

4. SonVolt

Never heard of Wizard before... pretty damn good sounding.

liontato and SG~GUY like this.
  5. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-that's a sweet amp!! I had a first run JJ, "I'll pick one up down the road"

6. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

Powered Kemper and you have every amp and effect.

If you must use tubes.....Friedman.

SG~GUY likes this.
  7. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-see!! and then!! They sell all there gear that took them a life time to get, brag it up for a couple years, then you see them back in the tube amp game

EndGame00, flyinguitars and SonVolt like this.
  8. SonVolt

Ok.. so did a little research. A 100w Wizard MCII is almost $5,000? I thought Friedman's were expensive but that's just ridiculous.

flyinguitars and SG~GUY like this.
  9. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I've never heard a WIZARD clip that made me want to buy a wizard, I mean they sound great, but nothing over the top, the only reason I traded the JJ for it was because MARK CAMERON modded it, I felt comfortable in that I could flip it, and maybe even make a couple bucks on it, I was not prepared for what I got, its kinda like a SLO, or maybe an old HIWATT, where it just sounds so big, 3-D, Ferocious, like an extension of your soul that you'll never be able to tame, at best come to some sort of an agreement with.. and I know all that sounds so corny, but its true

10. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-trying to tempt me with digital!!.. Your an evil,evil man flying

flyinguitars likes this.
  11. flyinguitars

flyinguitars Well-Known Member

I know.. lol....look I am being honest...lol. I have bunch of killer tube amps that I won't sell because I've been slowly collecting them since the 80s. That said, I've profiled them and haven't touched them since November when I got the Kemper. I've used it live several times now and have done some quick recording (sent isolated tracks via email to my band) and it's been amazing. I've been mostly using Friedman profiles, my jcm 800 profile, and some downloaded profiles.
    I have one of the best sounding old Marshall cabs with original pre Rola 30w greenbacks. I've been using the Kemper as a head with this cabinet and it's friggen stupid good!..lol

Besides duplicating just about any amp, it has a really good built in noise gate....and it seems that it doesn't capture amp hiss when profiling, so when I am cranked at band volume, you can't tell if it's on when I'm not playing...lol.

My pick would be a really good sounding 4x12 cabinet (or 4 of them. Lol) and a powered Kemper and use it as a stand alone head and effects source. That or a bad ass Friedman head.

Here are some of my heads that now sit...lol
    [​IMG]

Kiko and SG~GUY like this.
  12. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I always heard the stealth has the blue channel from the 50 watt head, was the major change from the standard 100 watt head, since 50 came out after the 100 and the stealth after the 50, because everyone raved about the blue on the 50. It's where I live on mine, red is over the top and fun to mess with alone but in a band situation, blue is where it's at, and doesn't muck up the other guys sound, we have our own space.

SG~GUY likes this.
  13. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-FLYING, impressive collection ya got there! here's another one of my excuses, I'm a puta-idiot, I have a LEXICON LAMBDA set up with a fairly decent tube mic pre that I'm gonna have to send to blues n cues or take it to some place that can idiot proof it for me with its own lap top because I cant / don't know how to set it up, I would need someone like you do the profile's, do you have a preference between the AXE & KEMPER? which one is easier to navigate?

14. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-that's it, the "blue" -(second channel)- thanx for pointing that out,... when the 50w first came out the Fender factory rep was on a lot of the forum's to build more hype, he's the one who mentioned that the 50w "blue" channel was the same as the STEALTH's blue, and that-(I wanna say the 2x12 combo)-was actually a 50w STEALTH, they're a great amp, and at a great price!!

15. Kiko

Kiko Active Member

Since you are in the process of evaluating your amp gear might as well include digital as a valid option. And going digital does not mean abandoning your analog setup :)

BTW, you guys have great gears! The amps mentioned being mentioned here are rarer than hen's teeth here in Manila and if you can find one, it's ultra expensive :(

16. acidvoodoo

acidvoodoo Well-Known Member

I vote for the Herbert. Like you said total opposites, you'd have two killer main tones, blend them together for some earth shattering destruction!

SG~GUY likes this.
  17. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

What about Diamond amps?

18. SG~GUY

SG~GUY Well-Known Member

-I've never played one GHOST, what are your thoughts on them?

19. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

I've only played through the Vanguard F4 which I owned for a few days. Great tone, and I really liked it, but it had some electrical issues from the previous owner. I'm going to check out a Nitrox in Tacoma this weekend.

SG~GUY likes this.
  20. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

They have a Diamond amp that is a collab w/ Soldano...

The thing is, you describe wanting a fire breathing monster, but also want headroom. Usually, the fire breathing monsters are using compression (pushing the tubes) to get their tones.

The reason I was suggesting the German amps, is I see a lot of guys, playing the more classic hard edged stuff using ENGL these days. Guys like Blackmore, Vivian Campbell, Craig Goldy, etc., but also seeing people get some high gain sounds from them.

I'm not sure what you're really looking for & I'm not the most versed in testing a lot of amps out, but, there's also ways to tweak, the fire breathing amps, to gain (pun intended) more headroom, just by rolling tubes. You could also have them modded, but, rolling tubes is the easy/cheap way to test some stuff out. It really pays to have a bunch of different tube type on hand to really go through an amp & it's range of possibilities...

SG~GUY likes this.