So I Tried Crossfit...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Jan 14, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Been lazy for way too long and decided it's time to get in shape again. I did martial arts (Tae Kwon Do) for seven years and also played Waterpolo for 3 and I was always pretty thin and defined. Then when I hit 18 I got lazy and quit sports, shortly after I contracted mononucleosis and that pretty much fucked me up. Lost all my muscles in the matter of 3 weeks (couldn't swallow without pain due to my lymphgland being the size of a tennisball) because I didn't eat, when I eventually recovered I started taking in the same amount of food I did before mono and got fat.

I struggled over the years to get back to a normal size and somewhat managed but I'm not even close to how I used to look. Didn't help that the effects of the damn kissing disease lasted some years, I took a big hit to my energy levels.

Now my girlfriend decided to kick my ass and take action because I've been talking about getting started on a regular workout routine again for a year now but I'm lazy when it comes to actually getting up and moving my ass.

We went to a tryout day yesterday and on the menu they had heavy squating excercises. I deliberately didn't go overboard as I have to work today and I know my limits and I can't be in pain whilst walking all night and waiting tables. I do hurt a bit but it's ok.

I really liked it. Worst for me were the cardio excercises, I'm a smoker and this reminded me again of why I wanna quit. The squats with weights where great, especially since we had trainers that would check on us and correct our technique, I learned a thing or two. (I have weights at home)

Being in a group and competing was also amazing. It motivates you more than trying to do things on your own.

So I'll get a 3 month subscription and go 3 times a week. I guess I'll figure out if I'll keep doing it or go look for something different after, but for now it'll be a great start to get into the drill again.

Anyone here doing Crossfit? Any suggestions, tips, stories, things I should know? I'm curious.

Cheers

2. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member

Good for you Bro!!! Stick with it and stop smoking as soon as possible!!

Derek S likes this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Eating a healthy diet, along with proper amounts of drugs, alcohol, rock & roll, and sex, is just as important to a healthy lifestyle as exercise.
    Keep it balanced, bro. And good luck w/ the new you.

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  4. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I don't do CrossFit... I do supersets (6 days weight lifting) and one day HIIT for 40 minutes .. no rest for the 44-year-old me...

All Natty here....

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Fookin' kids today! :lol:
    BP

Mitchell Pearrow and EndGame00 like this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Smoking just negates everything you're trying to do.
    BP

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    MarshallDog, Derek S and anitoli like this.
  7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

The single most important thing you can do to get your health going on the right track is quit smoking. I did it in 05 and never looked back and don't regret it at all.

8. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

My dad quit smoking when the insurance broker told him he is "uninsurable" because of his smoking habits...

Don't fall for the diet fads like "ketogenic" or "vegan" or whatever flavor of the month they are selling you, just get proper nutrition...

Derek S and anitoli like this.
  9. GuitarIV

Yeah, quitting the smoking habbit is on my priority list. Getting my heart pumping is gonna help with that I'm sure :)

I'm not worried the slightest. Back when I used to weightlift on a regular basis I based my diet around fat and protein and less and healthier carbs. Worked like a charm. All homecooked and way cheaper than all the supplements they're trying to sell ya :D

10. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're smoking...

GuitarIV likes this.
  11. GuitarIV

No green for me, I only do nicotine, caffeine and alcohol :p