So I Sprained My Finger...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OzoneGP, May 22, 2018.

1. OzoneGP

OzoneGP New Member

My injury is called Mallet finger. I was playing football with my son and the tip of my finger jammed. (ringer finger left hand :mad:). The DIP joint tendon rip and I have to wear a finger splint for 6WEEKS. Which really sucks because not only that I can't play guitar but I just bought a new DSL40C, 2 days before, that has only been play once. So what I decided to do is work on my right hand hybrid-picking techniques. I started to incorporate that in my playing, guys like Greg Koch is so good. And now with this injury I can really focus on it.
    If anyone can share a similar situation and what you did would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I'm sorry man, I truly am. 2 years ago I went on a bender and fell asleep drunk in a friends car backseat. Woke up and my right hand was numb. I thought it would go away but after 2 days it was still there and I paid a visit to the doctor. Turns out I managed to pinch my nervus ulnaris and recovery would take months up to a year.

I swear to god I even had suicide thoughts at one particular moment. Good luck playing the guitar with a numb hand. Lucky me it went away after 2 to 3 months and surgery wasn't necessary but that was a lesson learned. Take care of your hands.

I wish you all the best and that you recover fast. In the meantime maybe sit down and freshen up your music theory. If you can't play you can at least broaden your musical horizon :)

OzoneGP likes this.
  3. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Once i was wheeling up the ramp to my house and i sometimes have to use the rail to help me get up the ramp when i have equipment in my lap. My chair is very tipsy so i have to lean forward or ill tip back when pushing up the ramp. I grabbed the rail and didnt get a good grip then caught one of the vertical posts with my ring finger and i swear it about pulled it out of the socket the very last segment joint. It was sore for about 6 months glad it was only on my right hand.

Getting old sucks

OzoneGP likes this.
  4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Hi. I'm new here. VIP Member

I once worked on a machine that used 3" knurled steel pinch rollers to weave large rolls of paper through it which would be cut and stacked on the other side. These pinch rollers hauled ass, and during the hot/humid summer months traces of paper would build up and start jamming the rollers. So, periodically, I had to stop the machine and use sandpaper to clean off the rollers. This was a long and tedious process that slowed production significantly. So, being the heroic idiot that I was back then, I decided to leave the machine running without any paper going through it and use the sandpaper to clean 'em so I could get the job done WAY faster. ...You know where I'm going with this, right?

I pressed too hard, the rollers bit the middle finger of my right hand and BANG! Middle finger instantly decapitated. I was lucky it didn't start grabbing my other fingers, or else I'd have been yanked into that thing up to my shoulder, and possibly even killed. I had minor surgery, though it hurt like hell for weeks, but it's barely even noticeable now. Machines have no mercy. Thing is, I knew better than to tempt machinery. I'd seen one guy get his whole arm yanked into a machine and it could have killed him. He lost his arm - it was so crushed that they had to amputate. I knew two guys who were working in the cut-out hole at the bottom of an elevator pit - where the big springs are in case the elevator ever falls, and someone hopped on the elevator while they were down there and couldn't get out in time. Splat! Tragic. These are reasons why we have Lockout/Tagout procedures now. Way too many losses of life because one guy was working on an electrical system and some unknowing person turns on the power.

Be safe. Don't screw around with nature, machinery or the IRS.

OzoneGP and MarshallDog like this.
  5. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

You know that feeling you have when you jammed the tip of your finger like that?

That's both my wrists anytime it rains. :erk:

OzoneGP likes this.
  6. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

Years ago, I was playing soccer and had to play goalie in place of our regular keeper. I stopped a shot, but my left pinkie got jammed. I had the mallet finger. The doctors took an x-ray, and it showed the tendon ripped a small piece of bone from my knuckle. I had to keep it in a splint for 6 weeks for the bone to reattach. I had no idea how important your pinkie was to guitar playing.

OzoneGP likes this.
  7. What?

What? Member

Messed up fingers/hands is a bummer for guitar players...

My brother called yesterday saying that his lower ball joint broke when he was leaving the liquor store, asking if I could come help with it. It's one of those silly lowered rice burners, and the lowering of it put too much stress on the suspension causing parts to fail. We got a new ball joint on it pretty quick, but the jack got stuck under the car. We started looking around for something to put under the tire to get the car an inch or so higher so that we could pull the jack out from under the car, and the only thing he had was a baseball bat. As I'm trying to wedge it under the tire to keep it from rolling, he hit the gas and ran over my left hand, which went under the bat and mangled my hand up. I though it was only skinned up and bruised at first, but after picking up a guitar I know that it is fractured. I broke my other hand when I was younger, and I know what it feels like. My hand feels very weak, and I get a sharp pain when putting any sort of pressue on it. I think it will be a couple of months or longer before I can get back to playing. I can type fine, but playing is definitely a no go. Good thing I'm not playing in a band right now.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    OzoneGP likes this.
  8. What?

What? Member

Looks like I got a week off work. It's not how I wanted to burn some vacation time, but I could use it anyway, mangled hand aside. I'm thinking about stringing up a guitar lefty and see what happens. I can grip a pick fine with my left, just can't put any pressure on my other fingers, else my hand hurts like hell.

OzoneGP likes this.
  9. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

sorry to hear of your situation.
    now is a great time to catch up on your slide playing though.

OzoneGP likes this.
  10. What?

What? Member

ricksconnected, that's an excellent idea.

OzoneGP and ricksconnected like this.
  11. ricksconnected

im here all week my friend. ;)

OzoneGP likes this.
  12. What?

What? Member

Some excellent slide playing on this one.

I love how Derek pulls together influences from Indian music, blues, soul, southern rock, jazz... His playing has alot of depth to it and is just tasty as all hell. And I think the Tedeschi Trucks band is one of the few great bands of this period in music, mostly flying under the radar.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    OzoneGP likes this.
  13. ricksconnected

or...…..Sonny Landreth

OzoneGP likes this.
  14. What?

What? Member

Excellent in every way.

15. What?

What? Member

I'm not a slide player at all. I have only piddled with it a tiny bit here and there over the years, but I always have a slide laying around somewhere at home. My fingers are very swollen at the moment, and I can only push the slide down to the top of my second knuckle. But it is still fairly comfortable to play with that way.

An issue that I have with slide playing is getting clean notes on the high E without rattling between the slide and frets. I think it might help to raise that string some.

Any sorts of slide tips welcome. In the past I have used open D, but I'm currently giving open E a go. I like both tunings equally. I think the main thing for starting out is developing a good sense of how the pentatonic patterns fall on the neck in comparison to standard tuning while finding little licks here and there over the neck. Also, the change in tuning can bring some nice surprises in intervals, which seem to become good starting points for developing little licks around.

OzoneGP likes this.
  16. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Open tuning and a slide, have fun!

17. OzoneGP

OzoneGP New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice. Its been about a month and finally got to playing again. Somethings still hurt like double stops, but for the most part I'm playing again.
    I'm using lighter gauge strings (10's) to relieve the strain. And on the plus side, my slide playing has improved dramatically.
    Thanks again.
    Roll and Roll

Marshall Stack likes this.
  18. ricksconnected

is that the result from your screen name?

Marshall Stack and wakjob like this.
  19. Marshall Stack

Marshall Stack Well-Known Member

Dude, you have been on a roll lately. :applause:

Kind of like the way I roll Katy over in the morning to go make me breakfast.

20. ricksconnected