So I Got Laid Off...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

well, customers will always want the best work done & also want it done at the cheap price... :)...

This discussion is more about the boss wanting to pay for 5 cheap laborers vs 2 skilled journeymen.

Most will choose the 5 cheap laborers.

I was working for a shop, w/ 12 field employees. The team I was working on (2 people) were actually doing the work, paying the other 10's salaries. We were doing high end work & worked considerably slower paced than the other guys. But, when we brought in a check, it payed the whole shop's salaries for the month (or more).

Still, all the other workers hated us, because they thought we had the cush/easy jobs...

Ended up, my boss started farming away our specialty niche stuff to sub contractors & we left. Then the company fell apart after 60 years, all in a couple months, because their cheap labor was unsustainable.

2. mirrorman

mirrorman Well-Known Member

As the saying goes, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

3. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Its gonna seem strange to hear, but sometimes one has to hold back a bit at work. If one does too good of a job one becomes a threat to those vying for the same hours and if one has greater potential to be in management, they too can feel threaten.

Its good for one to do their best, just not over do it.
    Do what they ask you to do, no more no less.

Adieu, GuitarIV, jimmyjames and 2 others like this.
  4. Geeze

Geeze Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your situation @GuitarIV been there done that. It will get better.

I have a bit of a different take on the job thing. Jobs come and go, with good bosses and shitty bosses. I've been self employed and employed and enjoyed both. I've also lived in my car in my teens and spent a couple of months where a box mac & cheese was a celebration feast in my early twenties.

What I've found most important is enjoying what I do and being happy. I work to live not live to work. Some people chase the dollar and want to be in charge, others a cog in a machine. I know happy people and unhappy people on both of those paths. I've had a number of friends save it all for retirement and die before they get there. Don't forget to smell the roses and wail on the Marshalls on the way.

One of my guiding life mantras is I can ALWAYS make more money but I can't make more time. Having dough in the bank allows more choices and less oh shits.

Russ

5. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Finish as much as you can of your schooling and then get a union job. You are very welcome.

6. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Woah guys, the response to this thread has been massive.

First of all, thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I refuse to be all down and blue, when life hits ya with a roadbump you gotta hold your head up and continue. At least that I learned so far.

Spent the better part of the weekend enjoying my newly found free time, been to my bands gig (last one they played with the guitarist I'm replacing), had a great night out with my dad, some quality time with the family for the better part of yesterday and in the end we went to see the Mad Caddies play live, it's my GFs birthday and the tickets for the show were her gift.

Now first of all I should clarify that I'm in Europe, not the US. So university is for free, I'm not paying ridiculous amounts of cash that are gonna accumulate in massive debt. I'm thankful for that.

When I say I'm gonna finish Uni I'm not saying someones gonna be waiting for me the employ me and throw cash my way as soon as I have my degree. But it gives me a higher chance to work in a position where I'm not as easily replacable. No, I'm not doing gender studies, I'm doing law. There's a huge range of options for when you get that degree, from working for the police over law firms to the music industry. So my goal is to finish it. Shit, if I find no job at least I'll be a waiter that can provide legal advice :D

I'll be working on my personal improvement whilst I'm on the lookout for a new place, hit the gym, practice guitar, meet friends and do everything that makes me happy, I don't wanna lose my charisma. It's the same with girls, you get dumped or a relationship ends, you're blue and try to hookup and get shot down cause you're projecting your negativity outwards. Girls can smell that and I believe it's the same with bosses hiring you. Chin up, straight back, honest smile and a healthy attitude and self confidence. Just because I'm replacable doesn't mean I'm worthless. :)

I do believe that nowadays a safe option doesn't exist anymore. All the people from the previous generations, my parents, my grandparents had it all figured out: you finish school and find a job, maybe do university and get a job that's paying better, do it for 40 years, then retire and get pension. Raise a family, watch your kids and grandkids grow up and that's it.

No more. Hell there are people over 50 that lost their work they've been doing their whole life and no one is hiring em anymore cause they're "too old". Fuck that shit. How can you take someones dignity away like that, experience is valuable. But I guess I'm an idealist.

In the end money talks. They figured it's better to let me go, have one person less to pay, use the workers they have doing fulltime in the most efficient way and then look for other people to jump in for the time being until the busy season is over again and they let em go till next time.

I should have figured it out way earlier. You have 2 people that are working the place constantly. They have been for years, you always see em around. All the other faces change. A regular was sitting at the bar, I introduced myself and we talked and his words were "Oh, you're new. Well I guess it's hard to keep a job here. You're a nice fella, hope you stick around."

That should have been a dead giveaway. The regulars stay the same, the waiters change. Lesson learned for next time I guess.

Anyway, I already sent out applications. Will do some more in the course of this week.

Thanks again for the positive posts. I love this forum and although I haven't met a single one of you, you guys are awesome.

7. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Been there, twice... During the first market crash, and then the housing bubble... First company went under after settling a class action lawsuits... The next one was due to downsizing and sending our job overseas... Longest unemployment I faced was 8 months...I did some warehousing jobs and other temp jobs through staffing agencies just to get by...

One big thing I learn from my parents is to have a separate savings account as emergency fund...

8. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Best of luck man.

I haven't been laid off (of this particular job anyhow), but I'm working on getting fired lol

I feel it, I can tell. My time is near. My boss has been extra shitty lately. He currently has the best team he's ever had, and each and every one of us is looking for a way out because he is such an insufferable stain of shit. Can't treat everyone around you horribly and expect them to want to stick around for too long....but for some reason he just can't figure out why he has so much trouble holding on to people. People usually quit bosses, not jobs. Not that this applies to your situation at all...

Resume went online this morning. We'll see if I get bites or not. In the meantime, I'll just maintain my current course until a ship comes along I can jump to.

Again, best of luck to you, friend. Worst thing you can do is lose your momentum, but it sounds like you're on top of it.

9. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

I failed to mention, that if you are a contractor in some capacity, do not, and I repeat DO NOT, devote more than 10 hours a day or be exclusive to a single client.

Clients, at least in my business, feel that $1k a week is sufficient wages for you.

I found that running a business is to have multiple clients.

You'll make more $'s and be better off.

You won't be at the mercy of a single company and, hopefully dodge the downturns in the economy...............or at least an economic fart killing you.

IMO, if you work exclusively with one company, you are taking a big chance.

A contractor should have multiple clients.

Don't be exclusive.

You'll protect yourself and make more $'s if you have multiple clients.

In my experience, when a company has a negative turn, they'll cut personnel and, in many cases, any price decrease by a company to their customers, will come out of your ass.

Companies will protect their income...................NOT yours.

It is in my experience, that a contractor is legit with the IRS, when the contractor has multiple income sources.

I have no idea how FED Ground classifies, and gets away with it, their drivers as self employed/contractors.

You're wearing their company uniform.

You're driving their vehicle with their logo or ID.

You CANNOT take on your own customers by driving a vehicle that contracts business' other than Fed Ex.

You, by IRS policy, are NOT self employed/contractor.

If you are a contractor, you should use your sevices with multiple clients.

With me, a uniform denotes company affiliation.

Company hats are fine, you can take it off when you deal with a diferent company.

Keep in mind that you must protect you ass at all times.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  10. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I know how you feel but imagine being layed off after 14 years. This just happened to me in February. I have never been fired or layed off in 43 years. And for me it's not about performance , I guess the ass kissers are still there but for me it was seniority.
    Anyway , my worry was I'm 59 not 22. They can not directly discriminate but you know.

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

That sucks big time and I can't even begin to imagine man. I'm sorry. I heard this from a lot of people in their 50ies happening to them... the sad reality is we are so called "human capital", we are something that can be traded like a commodity on the stock exchange. Money rules the world...

Just got my last paycheck. I'm bitter.

12. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep. When I was 44 after 19 years in a business, they decided to close the doors. I was a manager and it left me going to the competition because, really, I wasn't qualified for much else as I'd spent most of my working life there.

Then my BP went up( too many years in photo retail) so I tried to take a leave which means quit. Never went back. The wife went down to part time and will retire after her brain suergery 3 yrs ago. We had a farming operation for years, renting out the land for crop share. Sold ALL of it this last year! So retirement has been nice! No more paycheck or job hunting. We're fortunate!

13. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

Not sure how the job market is in Europe, but in the US there is an abundance of job postings in different industries/field and it is much easier to land a job than it was 10-18 years ago (pre market crash 2000 and housing bubble 2008)....

Right now it depends on the skill set of the potential job seekers v. fresh college degree holders...

Dogs of Doom and stringtree like this.
  14. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I did find several jobs but the not knowing part is hard. Once you get a good (well written and layout is key ) resume like Endgame is saying there are tons of jobs but they are near the metropolis type cities that I hate. I was going to take one and move again but others just dropped in my lap. Because of my experience I am getting people at job source agencies calling me everyday.

jimmyjames likes this.