So I Got Laid Off...

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by GuitarIV, Mar 9, 2019.

1. BftGibson

BftGibson Well-Known Member

sorta my scenario, but 2008 august money dried up during the financial chaos..even Fed funding went on hiatus until it all cleared up & stabilized.All my commissions never got paid... Even at that co, they messed with with me..how do you squash a sales rep who brings in the most of any rep & ya get all there bids. So glad i went on my own, just applied customer service to a non customer service friendly trade.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Adieu and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Even if its only to teach you the reality of unskilled labour it's worth doing it for a while. Specially if you are aspiring to make a living as a musician, it can make you face reality, build options, focus, develop a professional attitude, appreciate things etc..

The unskilled worker of the 21st century will be a slave in most countries of the world..

GuitarIV, jimmyjames and MarshallDog like this.
  3. Wolvieberzerker

Wolvieberzerker Well-Known Member

My advice: do enough not to get fired. And when their back is turned, do a little less.

4. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

The best thing to be is a politician or high level executive in this Country. These scumbags make the rules and they never ever lose even if they do a crappy job. They always win!!

GuitarIV and anitoli like this.
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

First of all, getting laid off sucks. Keep hunting for a job to take up the slack!
    Secondly, yes education is a must these days but as @bobpick68 noted above, it sure depends in what.

We have a friend in 4th year Med School. She wants to major in surgery. But if you want a job she says, don't take cardio.

Uh, What?? No jobs in cardio surgery? She said up to triple bypass is now done by General Surgery so there are limited jobs for cardio!!

So yeah, what you major in makes a big diff. I was shocked to think that there are very few jobs (at least in Canada) for a new Cardio Surgeon!!

6. coolidge56

coolidge56 Well-Known Member

You are a student just getting started in life, that you got laid off some lame job in a bar is utterly meaningless. Point and laugh at them, then in 10 years when you are driving by in your Ferrari point at laugh at them a 2nd time.

7. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

:shrug:

If you have the brains for it, go for a degree in chemical engineering. If you're a leftie, a career in politics and/or education would be the most logical choice.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  8. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I hate to be the one to tell you this but...

This is life. Get used to it. There's no such thing as a guaranteed career anymore. If you do find a lifelong career, in a field that you thrive at & enjoy, you're lucky.

I know people who work government jobs & in unions. They live week to week being threatened that they are going to lose their jobs. They have higher degrees (BA, MA, etc.) & are proficient in their fields. Even 10-15 years later, they still live under the threat of losing their jobs.

I see job ads for garbage dumpers that want an AA from college for minimum wage jobs. Many jobs here in CA require you to be bilingual. That's minimum requirements these days here. So, in other words, you are expected to know at least English & Spanish just to get a job & are not considered special for that.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. You either learn to expect it & buck up, or prepare yourself for a lifelong time of failures...

9. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I pretty much did the same thing! It's amazing what a little customer service can do for you.

10. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

Again, I'm sorry to hear of your job status.

One thing for certain, job security is bad unless you're a politician.

A politician does not have to produce anything and still retain a job.

Politicians don't turn in fellow politicians unless it threatens their gig.

Politicians advance because we allow their BS.

Politicians are not your friend................especially career politicians.

{removed political content}

Remember, it's not as bad as it seems and it's not as good as it seems..............ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yep ain't that it? Guys working in the oil fields here making 200k / yr and saving none suddenly were jobless in 2008 after the crash. You never know!

12. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. VIP Member

My first job was scraping rust off of steel I-beams and painting them with highly toxic paint mixtures, until they laid me off two weeks short of being able to collect on Unenjoyment Insurance. My second job was packing toys in a toy factory. They'd hire like nuts and go overtime from September through January, then lay everyone off. Anyone with a bit of seniority (like me) got hired back in a few months, so I tried to enjoy my time off as if it were a well-deserved vacation. But I quickly realized that Unenjoyment Insurance, at least in New York State, pays you a pittance of your salary, all of which is taxable at the end of the year, and much of my OT savings was getting eroded as the weeks would go by.

By the 3rd time that happened to me, I quit and got other jobs. Hating those "other" jobs, I eventually realized it was time for a career.

Get a career. There are plenty of fields to get into that don't require a frickin' PhD, 8 years of answering to a professor, and $150K in financial debt. You'll start out rough, you'll work hard with low pay for a long time, but don't worry about money, money will come. Just find something you love to do, and do it to the BEST of your ability. I think you will find that serving the needs of other people in a direct way is about the most satisfying thing you can do with your life. When your job is about making other people happy, as opposed to taking commands in a warehouse or pushing papers in an office pubicle, you may find that there is a lot of fulfillment there. Myself, I'm in IT. I love fixing people's problems all day long. Some of my clients think I'm the hero who saves their day. As long as I'm meeting my financial goals, I don't spend much time thinking about how many hours I work or how much money I'm making.

As for retirement, my dad retired and he's as bored as cable TV 24/7 gets. Me? I have no desire to retire. I imagine I'd go part time, but if retirement means seeing the country in an RV or moping around my house waiting for death to overcome me, then I'd rather just continue what I do as long as I can.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  13. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

"Semi-retirement" = going back to college in evenings.

I'm hoping to register this Fall 2019 for one music course.

If I feel good about it, I'll do 2 courses the next semester.

I'm not going to sit around on my free time.

14. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

I won't condemn GuitarIV for his indignation, 'cos he obviously took pride in his work and applied high standards. True, it's a life lesson, and fully consider your long-term career plans. Manual labour doesn't always equal being exploited. It can also be more satisfying than the political minefield of white-collar careers. Saves you time and money on gyms if you go hard at it, too. I been plumbing/gasfitting 38 years, couple of stints supervising, 21 years self-employed. Been on the wages for last 8 years, the most stress-free period. Always going to different places, meeting new people, various types of work to do, plenty overtime and 24/7 shifts. The real satisfaction comes from winning the client's trust and confidence on arrival, and applying the highest standards of workmanship and courtesy. No better reward than repeat business, especially in these tough times. Diff'rent strokes of course, I wish you well in your endeavours :yesway:

15. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

And...there is something to be said for the Skilled Trades, an area that is hurting for employees if you are interested in this area.

16. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I surely wish positions like this still existed. I was reading an article the other day in regard to GM closing the Lordstown, OH production plant. One of the workers who will be let go explained that she started 25 years ago and now makes $32 an hour and will retire with full benefits and pension with 30 years of service. She mentioned that she would be allowed to relocate if she chose and retain her pension and seniority. Jobs like that almost do not exist anymore. If I could find a place to know that I would make more than fair wages, be able to retire, and have a pension to support me I would do that job and not even care what field it was in but, jobs like that don't exist now. I worked for GEICO for a while, they ended pensions and retirement. The GM factories now pay half the wages that they used to and offer 401K in lieu of pensions. With the market being what it is, imports, etc the American production industry has died and the few jobs that do exist are a shadow of what they were, I wish that I had some of those opportunities.

I recently branched out and decided to try something different and make an attempt at providing a better life for my family. I found out quickly how bad it is out there. People aren't willing to spend money and the generation today does not understand the value of a secure future. That situation combined with an employer who had no problem leaving you hanging without pay put me into a major bind. I then found another place that offered a great package but it turned out that when things got slow the first thing they did was cut everyone to part-time. I'm now back where I started and am happy with that. I am in a "service industry" job working with motorcycles and this is my field of expertise so I have decided to rededicate to it and push as hard as I can. There is plenty of money to be made in this industry if you work for it. I'm still trying to dig myself out of the hole that my attempts created but I am getting there.

I guess my point is that one should find something that they A. Love B. are willing to become an expert at, and C. is in demand. Certain things like life insurance are needed but many people these days do not understand the importance, therefore, they do not buy it. It's sad but true. With the motorcycle industry, people are willing to throw money around because it's fun, it's something that they get their money out of now. It's easier to get someone to spend $10k on a bike than it is to get them to spend $20 a month on life insurance, I have learned that. In the end, I think that knowing your place, meaning, what you should do is important, maybe the most important thing. I've tried to branch out many times and it never pans out, I am meant to be in the automotive/powersports industry, it's always where I've done the best and been the happiest thus, I stay there.

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

I am with you all the way here bro, I am a carpenter, I work outdoors most of the time, rain puts a damper on things, but here in sunny Southern California it never rains ? Yea right, I broke into this trade In 1981 been having a blast, been all over So Cal, Nevada, Arizona, to work, I have to believe I am valued at what I do, but as Dogs of Doom said never ever take anything for granted, because nothing is secure, and nothing lasts forever, you take the good with the bad, and when the good is really good, put some away for when it’s not, my wife is the master of this! Cheers to a better future, Guitar IV

GuitarIV, stringtree and Dogs of Doom like this.
  18. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

You also have to consider that, while you take pride in your work, many bosses don't. They don't necessarily appreciate that. They look at the bottom line & that's it.

I remember a job interview, as I worked for a leading company back in the day. The company mfgr'd & distributed certain glass products. During a recession, I found myself looking for work & went in for an interview for a distribution/logistics company (before they called it logistics). They distributed a lot of low quality products, that competed w/ what I was involved w/, along w/ a bunch of other stuff.

During the interview, that came up, because the products had low QC standards, how would I feel w/ working w/ lower standards. I said that I really didn't care, but I did. I could tell, that he wasn't buying it, because, it's like going from working for a master luthier, to working for Chibsun.

The problem I had was that, w/ the product we had, there was a 10 year guarantee - that we often honored well past the 10 year mark, while the other product often failed within months of installation, because they used a method of manufacture, meant for temporary/emergency quick fabrication, while we used a permanent heavy duty method.

But, the company was only concerned w/ bottom line. How many products they could move - quantity over quality.

So, do know, that there are more companies out there, that have that philosophy & having pride in your work will be a disadvantage.

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

Yea Dogs I get ya, boss say Mitch Johnny can do two times the production you can, and I say but yea I can fix all of Johnny’s mistakes in the amount of time it takes me to complete the project at my pace! Cheers

20. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

Valid point Dogs. Fortunately, I can outline directly to the end user, their options for the job being done. They have the final say, and know the pros and cons of each option.

GuitarIV and Mitchell Pearrow like this.