So, I Bought A Dsl15c Afterall . . .

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by John BNY, Jun 13, 2018.

1. John BNY

John BNY Well-Known Member

The DSL amps have caused me to feel like a schizophrenic -- I've considered buying, then changing my mind, then buying and then returning, etc. This all started because I wanted a 1x12 combo that I could take to smaller gigs. I originally thought about getting a DSL15C and sticking a Greenback in it, but then the DSL CR series came out. So, I bought a 40CR, but I didn't like the volume discrepancy between clean and crunch, so I returned it. Then I bought the older 40C from Sweetwater because of the price drop, but then I found a JVM combo at a good price. So, the DSL went back.

I recently sold a Fender Blues Jr. through eBay, and while on the site, I saw a DSL15C at a really good price. I wound up buying it and picked it up locally today. So, after all that, I wound up exactly where I started -- buy a DSL15C and stick a Greenback in it.

I'm not posting pictures because you all know what a DSL15C looks like. Cheers.

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

The red channel is too modern sounding, hows is it with the greenback? The red channel was unusable so I passed on this amp. Take a look at the DSL20, I have it, so far its good but haven't made a final decision if its a keeper yet.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  3. John BNY

I haven't swapped out the speaker yet. I plugged it in last night, and wasn't thrilled with the tone. I heard a lot of rattling on the low clean notes. I need to check whether that's the cabinet, or tubes. The Seventy 80 speaker sounded terrible, though the Seventy 80 speaker that came with the 40C sounded really good. They may have made some changes to the newer speakers?

In any case, this amp will be a project. First I'll have to address the rattles, then do the speaker swap. I have some WGS ET65 as well as Eminence Texas Heat lying around, so I'll try those speakers first before buying a Greenback. After that, I'll try some different tubes.

4. frankyfal

frankyfal Well-Known Member

Clean cuts through the mix more than crunch I find. That is why Marshall made the crunch louder. Didn't the assigned MV solve that volume issue?

Did you play a DSL20c?

5. John BNY

The 2nd MV did address the issue, but my goal was to get the footswitch (when available) so that I could switch between the modes. Dedicating the 2nd MV to the clean channel meant no solo boost for the clean channel, so the amp was not usable for live application. The 40CR was replaced with the JVM 205, which is perfect for my needs.

frankyfal likes this.
  6. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I used a ET65 with my 40c now im using a creamback it has a nicer top end and fuller rounded sound. Both channels rock no mods needed

7. EddievanDamon#2

EddievanDamon#2 Member

I just picked up the DSL15H. I'm running it through a 4x12 on the Green channel with a little boost, chorus, reverb. I love it! I'll be playing it at a live gig in a couple weeks.

8. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

full circle

John BNY likes this.
  9. Force235

Force235 Well-Known Member

Bought a DSL15h, also returned it , clean channel sucked and ultimately, I need more options in my sound to play out effectively.

10. EndGame00

EndGame00 Well-Known Member

I had the 15C but I just couldn't get past the ice-pick fizziness of the Ultra.. I also did the C19 mod and speaker swap with WGS Invader... It was just too much even setting the gain at 9:30... Ended up giving to my son, eventually traded it with his friend's Blackstar

11. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

I couldnt sell my DSL15H fast enough....

But I love the new DSL40CR.

12. John BNY

So, the amp comes with the Celestion G12E60, which I really disliked. I replaced it with WGS ET65, and that made a world of difference. The cleans are good without the shrill highs, and the ultra channel had minimal fizziness, even with the gain knob at around 7. All in all, I got some great tones out of the amp -- as a point of reference, I also have JVMs, JCM 800 and JCM 900. While the JVM is my gigging amp, I would have no problem running to this amp when just jamming on my own. I may even try it at my band rehearsal.

I couldn't try the Texas Heat, because the speaker wouldn't fit in the cab. My next step is to try the Greenback in the amp and see which I prefer between it and the ET65.

It's pretty amazing how much a speaker can make a difference in an amp's tone...

13. vivanchenko

vivanchenko Active Member

The DSL 15 is good though it is a little counter intuitive. If you use the volume as if it was the gain and the gain as if it was the volume then you get rid of the fizz.

If you find that the amp is too bright - you are not alone. Eric Clapton also thought that the Holy Grail Marshals were too bright and he used the tone knob on his guitar all the time and so do countless other guitar stars and you can do this too. This ads tonal complexity to your playing. Works like magic...

It is very easy and cheap to mod DSL 15's red and green channels into the lead 1 and the crunch channels of the DSL 50. Then this amp becomes a gem. That's what I have done and I don't want no other DSL.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  14. EastTexas

EastTexas Member

I will second what vivanchenko said. I have a DSL15H, and I did just the red channel mods. Wow, what a difference! The green channel has a great clean right out of the box, and after the mods I can get anything from light crunch to high gain on the red channel with no fizz. I'm loving it.

Edit, to say: I use the DSL15 at band practice (loud) and gigs (louder.) I don't plug it in around the house. Like every Marshall I have ever known, it sounds best when it is cranked.

J Saw likes this.
  15. John BNY

What is the red channel mod? Is this something anyone can do, or does it require a tech?

16. vivanchenko

Basic soldering skills is all that's needed. Just use leaded 22 gage solder and a 25 or 40 W soldering iron. I don't recommend using lead-free solder for any work within the signal path. All safety rules required for doing anything inside of a tube amp apply (discharge the electrolytic filter capacitors, etc)

1. Solder in the R82 resistor. The right value is 150K. Everything is ready for it on the PCB, it's just the actual resistor that is missing, so just solder it in. The PCB is marked up and its is easy to find where the resistors should be located.

2. Add a 10K resistor between the negative connection of the C34 electrolytic capacitor and ground as shown on the schematic below.

That's all. This converts your DSL 15's lead 2 into exact copy of DSL 60's lead 1. No fizz whatsoever, considerably less distortion.

Capture.JPG

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  17. John BNY

Thank you! I’m relatively satisfied with the ultra channel with the WGS speaker. I’ll see how the amp sounds with the Greenback, then I’ll consider the mod. Appreciate the detailed instruction.

vivanchenko likes this.
  18. vivanchenko

I agree. The amp can sound very good without mods. I believe that the Greenbacks are too bright for it though. I have a greenback loaded cab and the DSL 15 seems to be too bright with it. This is subjective of cause. I like very much how the amp sounds through an Orange cub loaded with the Voice of the World speakers. It takes away some of the excessive high end and makes the amp sound very juicy . In any case - good luck with your quest!

John BNY likes this.
  19. John BNY

I stuck a Greenback in the amp, and it's the best match. Without doing any mods, all of the fizziness was gone. The OD channel had a nice growl, while the clean remained sparkly without losing the warmth. So, this combination works, at least for my ears and needs.

I'm not sure the amp is loud enough for a band setting, but it'll get its chance. Even if it isn't, I'm glad I experimented and found some good tones.

To anyone interested in this amp, for me, the stock speaker could be the deal breaker. But, if you are willing to experiment a little bit, it can be a solid amp.

One negative with this amp -- it's pretty heavy, and with the Greenback, it's even heavier.

Krauthammer likes this.
  20. Mosher Zone

Mosher Zone Well-Known Member

I was gigging at the weekend & a guitarist in another band was using the DSL15 head through a 4x12, I was astounded at how loud it was, everyone was miked up but even so I never thought 15w would cut like that, his bandmate was using a JVM but the DSL was far better sounding, quite impressed.