So Gibson Sgs...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing, Feb 12, 2018.

1. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing Active Member

I made a thread awhile ago asking about a lighter Les Paul. Many suggested an SG. I said “bah”. Recently someone suggested the same, this time I did not say “bah”. Tried the 2018s at Guitar Center (with a DSL100 head/4x12—assumed it was the closest thing to a DSL40 they had in store...no more ACTUAL DSL40s). I have to tell you, I was hardcore feelin the standard. Not so much the special with “mini humbuckers”. Faded was okay but more like a pedal was kicked on that added gain and sucked away fullness. One thing I didn’t like about the standard is the laquered neck. I almost like the bare wood kinda finish better overall, but the neck is actually kinda sticky and it affects playability.

Are all the standards through the years the same (I’d probably look used for used to save money) This one had a 61 something and a 61 something for pickups. They sounded great to me.

What about the dreaded neck dive? The ones. I tried definitely leaned that way but I was sitting on a stool, not how I play on stage or practice. I do use a wide strap and would probably have a line6 transmitter on the strap live.

General thoughts?

2. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

SG for the win. I've played SGs my entire life and neck dive is not a real problem.

mirrorman and Biddlin like this.
  3. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

The neck-dive is a problem on 67 or earlier. The neck was extended out...but it doesn't bother me.
    SG is a great guitar, one of the very best ones.

4. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Thanks. Looks like pickups are different in the 2018 vs last year but that theyve used this combo before.

5. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Believe it or not
    the bridge w/ nylon saddles and the nylon nut are the best way to set up an SG. This is the Dickey Betts model.
    The guitar is much less microphonic and has better sustain.
    The best PU is Gibson Angus Young, which is matched to the string spacing of an SG.

6. S.A.T.O.

S.A.T.O. Well-Known Member

SG’s have killer tone and are fun to play

mirrorman likes this.
  7. el_bastardo

el_bastardo Well-Known Member

Where do you come up with this crap? :nuts::rofl:

RiverRatt, DirtySteve and Biddlin like this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Love my SG its huge sounding :yesway:

mirrorman and Biddlin like this.
  9. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    [​IMG]

Love mine, they're tone machines, ive had 3.

10. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

SG’s are amazing. There isn’t a guitar in the world with better fret access, nothing more comfortable to hold, and nothing cooler looking.

The neck dive thing isn’t something that I’ve ever considered a problem and I’ve had a few of them. The tone is great, it’s like a les Paul with more cut. The painted neck can be annoying but, that’s Gibson. If you buy a used one or once you have some play time on a new one it’ll “wear in” a little and stop being sticky. I also apply some Ernie Ball wax to the backs of my necks, the whole guitar actually, but that helps a lot with the sticking issue.

I can assure you, you would love an SG.

SG~GUY, mirrorman and Biddlin like this.
  11. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

I have always been keen on one (only guitar in cherry that speaks to me). The problem is they don’t do anything an explorer won’t and I have 2 of those as it is.

12. charveldan

About 3 pounds lighter than an Explorer.

Biddlin likes this.
  13. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

No way...

That being the case, I’d substitute “Explorer” with “V”, and though I am sure there is some argument for the niche the SG covers between the light thin V and the heavy thick Explorer, it’s not justifiable when both are plentiful. Perhaps one day though...

14. Ufoscorpion

Ufoscorpion Well-Known Member

Nearly got another SG recently as I don't have one at the moment , but went for a ' V ' instead as I really missed my last 'V' after stupidly selling it . Another SG is top on the guitar shopping list . Yes I do have a big GAS problem , there I've admitted it , perhaps the psychotherapy will work now !

15. charveldan

Maybe 2, i know its lighter.
    For a thin guitar SG's have Monster Tone.
    An Explorer is like a 2x12 plank on a strap compared to an SG.

16. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Ok. Any thoughts on the 61t/r pickups in the new models vs 57 classics in last year’s? I have learned the fadeds have the 490/498 pickups which are apparently hotter...and also apparently I don’t care for that. It’s like all treble and high mids...the medium output PUs have more “power frequencies” (my own term). Also seems like last year they moved the strap button to the horn (probably for neck dive relief) and seems like in 2018 it’s back in the usual place. This only matters if I get a 2018 or 2017 standard. GC has a a lot of 2017s and a few other years in the used section of their site.

17. telemarshall

telemarshall Well-Known Member

I've got '57 Classics in my 2013 Standard and love them in that guitar. Had the 490's in a Faded and wasn't too keen on those pups in that one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Have not tried the new 61’s yet. I’m a big fan of the 490/498 in an SG. Something about it just works, for me.

19. AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Just tried a 2017 and 2018 back to back same amp/settings etc. Unless there’s something wrong with one or both (keep in mind these are GC floor models) the 2018 pickups are hotter/more compressed sounding than the 2017..2017 a little warmer/less gainy. 2017’s strings were a little higher off the fretboard (that wouldn’t wccount for that would it?) Neither “bad”, just slightly different flavors.

20. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Active Member

I would look into a gibson sg standard 2016 HP. I played one and It was a fine guitar!