sniper gun question

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by jstich, Mar 28, 2020.

1. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Please,no pro or anti gun comments please. Over the years playing video games, I became a fan of the Dragunov SVD sniper rifle. I went to wikipedia and read the article.It's a good general guide but one thing I don't understand. (I think) It's describing a wood or synthetic stock,but it's called furniture instead of a stock.My nephew has been in the Army for about 10 years and he's never heard of the word furniture describing a part of a rifle.Is it a Russian type name for the stock?(It's a Russian rifle) Or the UK designation for the stock. I've noticed some of you guys know about guns so I hope someone can help. Thanks

2. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Thats a new one for me .

Mitchell Pearrow and jstich like this.
  3. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Any one can edit wikipedia, but they're usually corrected or removed fast,and it still calls it furniture,many months after reading it first. .And also,why would someone want to mis lead anyone on something so inconsequential? It's weird. My guess is it's a regional/country thing.( we call tubes tubes,Brits,etc. call them valves)

4. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

It's just slang for any part that is or could be made out of wood. No different than people calling a guitar an axe.

5. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The importers here in the u.s. have been calling gun stocks and related parts "furniture" for as long as I can remember. Pretty much a common term anymore.

6. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yes, it is just an alternate term for the wooden part of a stock.
    Lately, any part of the weapon that isn't metal is referred to as furniture.

7. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Not just the buttstock, but ornate with wood. Buttstock is buttstock. Furniture dress.
    Russia CITES back in the day?
    Customs. Government had tariffs in place for furniture and had to be listed on the export manifest.

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

It's probably just a translation thing . European people often complain that English has too many words that mean the same thing ...or too many words that sound the same ,but mean way different things .
    American people,on the other hand , take everything way too literally...always willing to chastise foreign non- English speakers ,even when they're making an effort

Now that you mention it , one of my huntin rifles has some fine furniture . A guy borrowed it from my dad in the 60's . Sling broke in a tree and cracked the stock on the fall . The guy ordered a replacement stock that was finely engraved and everything ,way better than the stock .....stock :lol:
    Because that's what you did when you broke somethin you borrowed,back then .

Anyhow,it's now a fine piece of furniture

I tend to refer to mahogany Gibsons as furniture ,and Fenders as surfboards with pickups

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  9. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

"furniture" has been the common way to refer to grips, stocks, and handguards for rifles since pretty much forever.

Yes, I'm something of a gun guy. I'd know this.

10. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Yup, it's just an expression for non-metal parts of a firearm, probably excepting the plastic parts of guns like Glocks..Slang that's been around for a long time now.

Don't know why an army guy had never heard of that, but the military has some pretty specific language used to describe firearms..For example, a recruit will get a good chewing-out by his DI for calling a firearm a "gun"..It's a "rifle", in the case of a pistol, it's a "sidearm" and so forth.

In the case of the expression "short arm inspection" that doesn't apply to firearms at all, it's checking a soldier's "short arm" to make sure they haven't contracted any social diseases..:rolleyes:

jstich likes this.
  11. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Yep, what they've said, common term.

jstich likes this.
  12. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! It's weird because my nephew was tought about guns even before he got into the Army. The only thing I can figure is I'm guessing the Army doesn't deal with slang, sorta like the gun thing. I guess the guy that tought him about guns didn't mention the term furniture to him either. Interesting.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

Yes. Furniture refers to the hand guard and stock.

jstich likes this.
  14. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The Army would not teach you to refer to the stock, pistol grip, and handguard as "furniture".

jstich likes this.
  15. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

Bingo! :cheers:

16. Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers Well-Known Member

17. Drinkingdeath01

Drinkingdeath01 Well-Known Member

The SVD is a classic. I had one years back with the now primitive optic. The 7.62x54 was a common round too so it was cheap and fun to shoot. Someone at the range offered me a bunch of cash for it and I stupidly sold it. Wish I still had it.

jstich likes this.
  18. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I've never been a big fan of the SVD. I AM a big fan of that caliber/round, as NATO ammo is plentiful and cheap. Match grade stuff tho is super expensive. The Dragonov has always been a feared weapon of US troops. To see it highlighted in American Sniper doesn't do it justice. Just to think of how many US soldiers have fallen to that weapon brings me chills.

You can get a good look at it at about 1:28 or so:

jstich likes this.
  19. jstich

jstich Well-Known Member

I think the people that instructed my nephew didn't go into slang. i think he had a good formal training of guns.Which is good.it wouldn't be a good idea to be trained in guns by someone who says" dude, let's smoke a bowl, grab some beers and go play with firearms". I was in a phase of watching ww2 stories. I saw the Army film made to alert our troops about the mg42 .Hitlers typewriter I believe it was called.The film downplayed the deadliness of the mg 42. Riiiight.Christ, more than 70 years after it came out it still sounds ominous as hell.That is one scary f**king weapon.I like the SVD because in vidya games it does good damage and has a relatively fast firing rate than other sniper weapons in games.In real life I'd probably use a USA sniper rifle.And be a LOT more careful with my shots of course.

20. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

Never shot one of those but Ive shot Mosin Nagants in the same cartridge. Really liked them.