Small corner protectors? Are these real Marshall parts?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Matthews Guitars, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Active Member

I'm looking at a 1973 100 watt Super Lead in my area. Four inputs, two volumes, physically kind of rough but not terrible. No mods that aren't fully reversible.

But the corners on the cabinet are throwing me. Are these original or not?

The cabinet has been painted in white and brown. All piping has been painted in gold paint.

It's ugly but if I can get it for the right price, it's a restoration candidate.
    marshallsmallcorner.jpg

2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

No. And Marshall never used screws.

Matthews Guitars likes this.
  3. Matthews Guitars

That actually helps. I'm trying to bargain for a great price on this amp based on its many "issues", not the least of which is the fact that it still has its ORIGINAL 1973 vintage power supply capacitors and they haven't vented yet. The more I can find wrong with it, the better my price should get. It's a 1959 with a couple of very simple mods to it, all of which are completely reversible. It has no extra holes drilled in it and nothing that's important is missing. It's a solid restoration candidate. If I can just get my price for it, I'll snap it up.

4. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

Actually, Marshall DID use screws to attach the plastic skid trays and corners up until 1974....on their speaker cabs...
    However, I can assure you that the corners on this head are not Marshall, and the head boxes had no corners until the newer head design in 1976.
    Here are the corners on my original 1973 4x12.
    [​IMG]

I would take at least $300 off just for the restoration of that headbox, however.
    Knocking off for original filter caps is a bit of a stretch, though. They can still work fine, or can be reformed.
    I would replace them outright, though.

Sounds like a great amp to detail up. Make sure and use a citrus based stripper, and it will clean up nicely. I have stripped several band stencils off of back panels, and black spray painted "beauties", and a citrus based gel worked great and didn't harm the tolex.
    I used this stuff, and it works great.
    [​IMG]

My two cents.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  5. MarshallDog

MarshallDog Well-Known Member Premium Member

If you get it for a good price just have Sourmash or MojoTone make you a new original cab for like 300.00 and shit can the old one. It’s just not worth trying to fix the old one up now that it painted and with holes where the corner pieces are IMO. Good luck!

Marshall also uses screws on the DSL 40C cabs!

6. Matthews Guitars

I could probably fix the cab up myself. Or make my own. I'm pretty good at it. Just a couple months ago I got a Twin Reverb chassis with no cabinet, did a pretty thorough restoration on it, and built a new cabinet using premium grade pine (no knots at all) and a Baltic Birch plywood baffle board. Finished it out Fender style with all new hardware and it came out great. Better than Fender makes.

But, first things first. I have to make my offer and it has to be accepted.

I have heard nothing but good things about Sourmash cabinets. I will certainly look into them.

7. Matthews Guitars

I did end up buying this amp. Just removing the corners made it look a heck of a lot better. Turned up nice and loud, channels jumpered, both around six or so, or more, it makes me sound like many of my favorite guitarists on their recordings. One heck of a tone, though it sure will punish your ears if you're not protected.

I'm still totally mystified as to what kind of corners those were. I haven't found any kind of a match for them. That suggests that they're rare, and it just might be that someone out there needs these for a restoration of some oddball amp and will pay well to get them. Hey, a guy can dream, right?

The 73's cabinet will be redone by Sourmash. AFTER the hurricane passes and everybody's OK. I'm going to get some strong winds. No telling how strong yet. I'm out of the direct hit zone but not by very far.