Slash

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Lespaulnmarshall, May 30, 2010.

1. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

This is funny. Seems to be a clear divide between 80's shredders and 90's rockers on here. I happen to like both EVH and Slash. I read an interview with Slash once about finger tapping and he said that he just doesn't do it. He said he feels like he'd be ripping Eddie off and since tapping is Ed's thing, he doesn't do it.

I think they're both iconic guitarists. I've seen Slash rip it up and I've seen him suck (for example: playing the Star Spangled Banner... terrible)

2. axl2

axl2 New Member

Yes I am serious. Slash's sound and playing on GNR is his sound Eddie playing GNR tunes to me would just take away from the band sound. I am a way bigger fan of the melodies Slash has come up with compared to Eddies BTW. I love both, both kind of have their own thing they can do better then each other but Slash on GNR.... There's no guitarist that replaces him in the right way for that band

If you really think GNR would sound like GNR without Slash starting out as the lead guitarist you really are on a trip.

3. axl2

axl2 New Member

Nope he's still at the same level throughout. The solo stops at the end of that though.

4. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

SLASH RULES!!!!

*runs away*

5. jaek

jaek New Member

Eddie, in Van Halen, drives the band while Slash, in GNR, the drums and bass play MAJOR parts in the song. Every VH song I think of I think of the guitar, with GNR I think of more so the impact the song has more mixing the bass and drums.

6. core

core New Member

You're exactly right. There are bands where guitar rules, where the lick is king. There are bands where singers make up pretty much the whole song with the band as as simple back up. And there are bands where there is a good mix and give and take. I've been listening to the old GnR lately and I'd have to say they are all about the mix of the song with Slash's parts as emphasis or impact right where it's needed and same with Axel's vocals but always that driving rhythm under it all.

7. bloosman1

bloosman1 Active Member

Thank god I'm an old bluesfan, and 70's rocker.

8. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

Same here. I'm 32, but my favorite bands are all from the late 60's early 70's and the top of the list are blues guys like the 3 Kings. I love em!

9. SilverEra

SilverEra New Member

10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I see the influence in your play'n. I saw your vids and you play some tasty stuff.:dude:

Your son's going to be a hell of a drummer!:)

11. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

At the time of that video, we'd only had the kit for a few weeks. He's having problem timing his fills though, but he's smart, he'll get it. ;)

Thanks for the compliment.