Slash

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by Lespaulnmarshall, May 30, 2010.

1. Lespaulnmarshall

Lespaulnmarshall Well-Known Member

Just saw a part of Slash's appearence @ Pinkpop (Dutch rock festival) It was a song called Starlight from Slash's solo album.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDRopoYh144]YouTube - Starlight - Slash feat. Myles Kennedy[/ame]

I don't like to say it but was impressed, not because of his tone as I think it's crappy but this guy has improved his playing/song writing skills, stil it's simple song but it sounds pretty damn good. But, I'm not a fan of him. I'll go watch his whole appearence tonight for sure though. I've also heared some pretty good Velvet Revolver tunes. I still hate most of his fans.

2. The_Rocker

The_Rocker Active Member

To be honest I think slash is one of the last big name old school rock guitarists that gets his influence from the blues. I don't like much GnR stuff at all, (I call is cock rock and don't like Axyl's voice). But Slash's new solo album is just nice I think :)

People would argue and say Zakk Wylde is as well, but I think Zakk wylde's style has changed totally and in my view now sucks...

3. wkcchampion

wkcchampion New Member

Slash? Does it rime with TRASH? :D lol

4. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

This is a perfect example that image is everything. I remember seeing this concert on tv....when the song kicked in i saw Slash and his top hat on stage and i just started laughing my ass off....my wife asked me what was wrong and i said just wait for the solo....its gonna sound like ass. WHY WHY WHY the fuck would you let slash shit all over a fucking van halen masterpiece in front of thousands and thousands people ....there is NO WAY he can pull that shit off. That shit he played sounded like some shit i used to wank in the middle of takin care of business back when i was 15.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GITLe80RzhQ]YouTube - Michael Jackson and Slash-Beat It Solo[/ame]

5. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 New Member

Whoa! That was atrocious!

Josh

6. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

Still better than anything I could do!!! :(

7. Wycked Lester

I know, right...I mean why? There are lots of people he could have gotten that could have pulled it off. I already smoke,... I just gotta get me one of them fuckin hats.:slash:

8. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 New Member

I truly admire Slash, but I think that situation shows he cannot play other people's stuff. Give him a Pentatonic and a D chord and he is golden, beyond that he is out of his league.

Have you seen the Jackson footage with Orianthi? She could smoke Slash under the table, that is playing OTHER people's music of course :lol:

Josh

9. Wycked Lester

Yea, i like slash too when he's doin what slash do. This was just out of his league,...and not his style at all....and that is fine. SRV wouldn't have nailed it either, ya know....completely different style. Obviously he got that gig off his image.
    As far as Orianthi, she's pretty damn cool...and pretty versitile too. She got some really good music of her own , plus some nice shred chops, and some really soulful blues chops too, and a cool voice.....aaannnnnd easy on the eyes.

Here's her version played through a micro cube.....while being interviewed by a complete db
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHthNMoMzA]YouTube - Orianthi shreds Michael Jackson[/ame]

And now, introducing the child of Brittany Spears and that mexican guy from Santana.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDhV-xXDWsE&feature=related]YouTube - Orianthi, Crossroads 2007[/ame]

this is cool too.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnsmV9yYHA8&feature=related]YouTube - Guitar instrumental Song for Steve -Orianthi 2007[/ame]

10. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

I'm a fan of just this kind of style/feel of rock. Myles can sing his ass off. Love to see these 2 do more. I like the other song they do together on the disc as well. My 13 and 11 year old daughters dig this even though they listen to girl/boy pop stuff mostly. Course daddy plays a fuck'n Marshall and loves to rock old school style too. So they are encouraged towards it hehe. They really do like it.

11. MonstersOfTheMidway

MonstersOfTheMidway Well-Known Member

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

12. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member

:lol:

13. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 New Member

Talk about ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Kobe Bryant :wtf: rapist

Josh

14. Mike_j

Mike_j Active Member

Have we done an overated guitarist thread yet.....?

15. axl2

axl2 New Member

To be fair, however slash was likely not attempting to cover that actual solo. Put an amp infront of Eddie and ask him to play GNR and it wont sound as good.GNR IMO have some of my favorite solos ever.

Calling Zakk Wylde or Slash over-rated based what is in this thread is ridiculous. Shows a lot of people still don't get music. I could give a shit about any guitarist that can play fast and cover other songs. I have my doubts that Slash was asked to come in and do Eddies solo note for note. You don't ask guitarists to do such. I like both solos myself. Different but good. Plus imperfection is a key part of music. Guitars aren't meant to be computers, slight mistakes bring out the characteristic of the artist in a lot of ways.

16. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 New Member

You should see "This is It" Michael tears into the band when they miss ONE note while practicing. There are several other instances in that movie of Michael tearing into the keyboardist and drummer because they weren't playing the songs PERFECT.

There is no way if Michael heard that Slash solo at a later time he would be proud of it.

Josh

17. axl2

axl2 New Member

It's pretty clearly an improvised solo.

18. Wycked Lester

EXACTLY! and improv solos are great at the right time. But when an artist as big as elvis, or MJ asks you to play one of their signature songs, with a signature solo you should have enough respect to at least learn it. He embarrased the song and himself with his silly guitar 101 chuck berry riffs and general sloppyness. He would have come across as much more bad ass if he'd played it note for note, or at least close with some elaboration, ...but he just dumbed it down to the point of it sounding like a joke..............

........If I, or any of the rest of us, posted a clip of us playing that shit and said it was the beat it solo you'd be laughed off you tube.

19. Wycked Lester

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Well, he was asked to play the song,...and thats not how the song goes. He shouldn't have to ask him to play the solo note for note....thats a given. He was asked to play the song and the solo is part of it.

20. Bullitt427

Bullitt427 New Member

Ha! Looking at the video again, when Michael comes over and wants Slash to really start ripping and he's just wanking away, Michael starts shaking his hand over to the side of the stage and then what?

Anyone?

Slash is turned WAAAAAY down in the mix and you can barely even hear him after that.

Coincidence?

Josh