Slash models: difference between SL2555 and AFD100

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by cheopsnet, Sep 11, 2010.

1. charveldan

charveldan Well-Known Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
    Simpler for the purpose of mass production?

2. santiall

santiall Well-Known Member

simpler from an engineering point of view as they are consistent unlike handwiring which by nature are all different. Just bear in mind that if 50 years ago amps were handwired was because that was the technology available at the moment.

3. richieG

richieG New Member

I can't argue the technical points in regards to the Auto Biasing and Power Scaling because I just don't know.

But I will say that I think your argument regarding technology is valid but does not make it right.

I have a friend that repairs amps for a living, and its an interesting experience to witness all sorts of amps that need repair. Take the JCM2000s that were faulty and to repair them requires a PCB swapout that in Australia is an 800 dollar part. The same applies to the Oranges, Laneys and so on. But I have never seen him not be able to repair an old amp I include the 800s with the small PCB's and their ilk with this comment, not able to be repaired fairly easily. Those old amps are still going strong, I wonder if the modern amps will be the same.

Now some may think I am being a silly prick hanging onto the past but thats not true. I own a Bose PA and other modern items that I use to do gigs with.

But when it comes to amps, they are such simple things that I can't see why the major companies like Marshall Fender etc can't continue to make top notch gear from a build point of view when you consider that the multitude of small amp companies seem to manage fine in producing consistent amps with hand wiring and turret boards.. It annoys me that they are built to maximise profits and use the history of the company and endorsements to sell these products for high prices. Its no wonder that these small companies are doing so well with the more discerning amp buyers.

My question about an amp like the AFD100 is future service issues. Will the parts be available? Look at the 6100LM, cook the midi circuit and you are fucked.

Maybe I am living in the past and I imagine that a lot of the people here think I am a moron, but I think my expectation of the best a company can supply is not that unreasonable.

So with my pissing and moaning why do I hang around a Marshall Forum. I like the sound of them and have a decent collection of the older ones. I will say again that these are just my opinions and I may well be wrong.

4. Wycked Lester

Wycked Lester Well-Known Member

We are all living in the past by default, just by the fact that we play tube amps....the thing that pisses me off,...and i was just ranting about it the other day....is that they will use a pc board and still call it "hand wired" because they wired the pc board to the pots. they consider the ZW2203 and the Slash2555 hand wired, ...they have pc boards. WTF.

They reserve the term "point to point" for amps that are actually handwired. Ya got to admit,...thats a lil misleading....wonder if its intentional......FUCK YES IT IS!!! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. richieG

richieG New Member

Hey man

We have a lot in common!

1) Own the same Sig amps.
    2) Pissed off at retarded marketing
    3) Not scared at ranting on a forum

Rock on

6. charveldan

I want my amp to sound different than everybody else's meaning i don't want 200 or 2000 people to have the same thing i do.

Who knows where Marshall will get AFD parts, or other amps parts suppliers 5, 10, 15 years from now, caps, resistors, transfomers, PCB's will all change year after year so spare me on consistancy.

I guarantee it will be the most cost effective vs quality scenario, that's why Haze is from India, MA from Vietnam, MG from Korea.

7. Moving Air

Moving Air New Member

Who knows?....Well if that's santiall from the JVM forum.... he does :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5hemGxdbqg]YouTube - Marshall Slash AFD100 Amp R&D[/ame]

8. Richard_H

Richard_H New Member

It'a Santiago from the videos all right!

The amp that Slash has recorded nearly every album with (except for AFD obviously) was a JCM800 2203 with 6550 tubes (it was also modified) labeled #34 (I guess he got it from SIR) Thats the amp he recorded UYI with and every other album he's released since. (He obviously used some different amps for different sounds, but his #34 was his main rythm/lead amp for most of the songs.)

9. charveldan

#34 was the stolen amp that SIR took back when Saul showed back up to record after stealing it, the modded 800 in the AFD vid with Santiago was done by Frank Levi who worked for SIR after Tim Caswell left, the #39 Caswell Super Trem was the amp that everyone wanted, nobody knows where it is?:slash:

http://www.slashsworld.com/equipment/amps/the-appetite-amp-story/

10. Wycked Lester

Very cool, cheers to you bro:cheers: btw...which sig do you like the best, if thats possible for you to say

11. richieG

richieG New Member

Ummmm

um

er

I'll go with the 2203ZW. It's a killer amp. I also have a old 2203, I think I like the 6550's better, more bottom end thump IMO.

EDIT: I just looked at your sig, man that's eerie, I also have an 81 2203 as mentioned above.

Don't have a 1959 tho, I am lookin for a nice early 70's one but I would prefer a 50 watter. I am sick of all extra power tubes you need to buy.

12. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Yes Santiall is Santiago , the Marshall amp tech on the afd100 videos.

13. Wycked Lester

right on...if i had to choose, i'd take the zw too. Up till a couple months ago i would have said hands down,..but i just started a new band thats Really Heavy,...[ I also play with a classic rock band and a 80's metal band, hence the fav being the zw,...KILLER head for both situations] ...and the :slash: head is kicking some MAJOR ASS. holy shit....it sounds perfect for that kind of music,.pantera/drowning pool/five finger death punch. I'm lovin it cuz that heads been in the "backseat" for several years now....

14. charveldan

Slash has always stood for good tone, i wouldn't have a problem with his new LP or amp, i'm looking forward to the amps release, wondering if it will be at the next NAMM?:slash:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  15. noise5150

noise5150 Active Member

He also uses Vintage Modern heads you may want to check one of those out

16. Theycallmesabz

Theycallmesabz Member

i dont think he uses the VMs anymore since his break from VR..

17. Keaulana

Keaulana Active Member

I own 2 jubis, and one afd100. The jubis are better. More versatile too.

18. Keaulana

Keaulana Active Member

My Jubis are great for room levels. AFD too

19. Söulcaster

Söulcaster Well-Known Member VIP Member

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.....:D

pavs and Holme like this.
  20. Holme

Holme Well-Known Member VIP Member

[​IMG]

And so it shall be written Soulcaster that old shalt always be superior to new!!!
    It is the LAW of the CORK & woe betide any mortal that doesn't sniff it!!!

[​IMG]

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:thumb:

Söulcaster likes this.