Skeet shooting

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Les Moore, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Les Moore

Les Moore Well-Known Member

I am thinking of taking up skeet shooting next year.
    I have never owned a shotgun, but been looking on the web and it seems most people agree that the Remington 870 is a very good gun. I know that when in competition you can only have two rounds in the gun, but many say it's nice not having to reload as much when practicing. I also want the gun for homeprotection, so the pump action seems a good choice.
    My question.
    Anyone tried the 870 for skeet? Is it a good choice? Is it too heavy?
    Any inputs are welcome.
    Thanks.

2. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

870 works fine for skeet. You'll find though- if you take to skeet for fun that you'll want to get yourself an automatic shotgun. Or a nice over/under. Skeet is awesome. Lot's of fun

3. Swede

Swede Well-Known Member

The refugees starting to close in you?.......;)

4. Les Moore

You know, aah, I mean, aahh...

5. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

I used to shoot skeet and trap a lot, I can give you a couple of tips. First, you want a 12 gauge, secondly you want interchangeable chokes, third it would be best to have a semi auto like a Winchester 1400, Remington 1187, etc, and finally, understand that this is a rich guys game. I don't shoot anymore, had to sell all of my guns, but if you're going to do it at a local club don't be surprised when you see a doctor in scrubs out there shooting a $25,000 gun, cause it happens.

The reason for wanting the semi auto is because at 4 of the stations you have to shoot doubles, meaning they throw 2 targets at once and you have to get them both so pumping will really slow you down, but it can definitely be done. Skeet is a good sport, I miss it.. Enjoy!

6. Les Moore

Thanks everyone for the tips. I was thinking more of shooting for fun on the range, not so much competitions.
    That's another question. What is a choke?
    But you seem to think that the pump action is doable. I like the fact the 870 is so fairly priced. And it seems to be a very good quality weapon. Don't know the price range of the guns you named chili. I'll look them up.

7. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

The choke tightens or widens the shot pattern out of the barrel

And Les is absolutely right- I've seen guys sporting Italian over and under's that cost more than both my Cars.

8. Les Moore

Thanks Swamp. Ok, thanks. I saw a review where an american dude talked about gun. Seems like a real workhorse, no fuss. And very cheap. Think he said you could find one for around 330 dollars.

9. SwampThing

SwampThing New Member

Same thing as guitars and gear man. Start out simple and if you love it- then by all means go all out. Good luck.

10. CaptainZero

CaptainZero Well-Known Member

Pumps are fun, but I shoot autos. I have a Remington model 11, and a Browning A5 magnum with a Belgian barrel. Both notch backs. They are heavy, but for trap, and goose, they work great. The Browning is like new, and it's probably from the '60's. The remington has pretty much lost all the bluing.

I have a single shot 20 gauge that kicks harder than any gun I've shot. That was the first gun I bought... at Target.

Edit: Trap shooting is a lot of fun, so go for it!

11. LP121

LP121 Active Member

The 870 is a good, reliable, solid pump shotgun. They're very popular and have been produced for years. As a casual skeet gun, it's a good choice.

As has been said, look for one with interchangeable chokes.

12. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

Remington Model 11-87
    Ithaca Model 600 Over/under

Used both shotguns for about 6-7 years shooting Trap.

13. Les Moore

Why is the like function gone?
    Thanks everyone.

14. Les Moore

Is the choke always applicable on the 870 or is there a specific model?

15. Les Moore

Also, is the Express a bad copy of the wingmaster or just as good but rougher?

16. poeman33

poeman33 Well-Known Member

I used to love Skeet shooting. I used my 870 Wingmaster. I did get a skeet choke for it. It's not as natural to use for most people as an over and under...but I did just fine. One of the best shooters used an old Winchester Model 12. He could get a perfect round blindfolded I think...it was quite humbling.
    You will notice the kick more after a day of shooting. Some of the more serious guys had ported barrels and recoil reducers. I did have a weighted magazine plug which would help a little bit, but it kind of threw off the balance, so I just took it out and dealth with the sore shoulder.

It made me a better wingshooter.

17. FutureProf88

FutureProf88 Well-Known Member

I highly recommend the Beretta A400. I have one and it is a fantastic trap and skeet gun.

18. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Well, you don't have to compete but if you're shooting true skeet, or even sporting clays then a pump will hinder your speed. Chokes screw in to the end of the barrel and change the way the shot disperses, full choke means that there will be a very small area of shot to hit the target with, skeet choke is more "open" and means it puts out a bigger area of shot making it easier to hit the target.

I'm not sure on that, I would think that most of the defense models don't have them, usually the sporting models either will, or will be opened to an improved or improved modified from the factory. Any gunsmith can add screw in chokes for you, Briley is a good brand to buy, they run about $40+ each but you'll only need 1 or 2 anyway.

No kidding! My grandfather used a model 12 for trap, he was a bada** back in the day with that thing! I don't know if you're aware of the ATA but he was a member (and state president) way back when and he made 27 yard line.

I never bothered with recoil reducers myself, if you lean into it properly you can keep it on target, the shoulder gets less and less sensitive every time you go out and shoot.

OP, here are a couple I would point you toward.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=523948185#PIC

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=523119055

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=522410953

Shot all 3 of those listed above and the Baretta is a beast! Loved it, miss it very much.

I've got one of these now http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=523359405 It's all decked out for home defense but don't think I haven't thought about buying a sporting barrel for it and hitting the range.

19. Les Moore

Many many thanks chil. Will go through your links. And thanks future for the Beretta tip. Even I know about Beretta. Being half italian it would be nice to have one.
    Much food for thought here.

20. Les Moore

That Beretta looked really nice. Unfortunately it costs three times a Remington.
    So I think I'll go with the 870.