Simms Watts

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by Jimib, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Jimib

Jimib Member

Hello all,
    Last night a good friend of mine GAVE me an old Simms-Watts head that was lying around in his apartment it needs A LOT of work but all the same i wasn't about to turn this project away.

Now I need help in identifying the beast as I can't find ANYTHING online about it. It seems to be somewhat different to all the ones I have managed to find online.

It has a nice old PTP board four empty slots where some mullard el34's used to be and 3 pre amp slots. So I'm guessing its 100w
    It has two channels 'Normal' and 'Brilliant' with 2 inputs on each channel.

Now here is where it differs, this amp does not have a presence knob it has: vol treb and bass on normal and: volume treb bass on the brilliant and a master for both channels but NO master presence.

I found an old simms watts picture with an amp looking VERY similar with the same config but cannot find info.
    If anyone here knows anything about these old amps then please help :)
    I will get some pics up asap...

2. spooky joe

spooky joe New Member

Try Paul Tribe at Twotribesguitars. He's got pix of Simms-Watts on his site.
    Be a great project and a MONSTER amp when roaring:)

3. Jimib

Jimib Member

Hey thanks for the reply, I can't wait to get her up and running :)
    I've contacted TWO TRIBES and I'll post the results :)

4. spooky joe

spooky joe New Member

No worries man.
    How is it you get handed a Simms-Watt head? Wicked. 100 watter no doubt.
    It will destroy small towns when roaring. Mick Ronsons amp of choice in the 70's
    Get it fixed . Be loud and clean I suspect. Will take pedals like a dream.
    You lucky SOB:):naughty:
    Cheers

5. Jimib

Jimib Member

I was talking to the guy who gave it to me, I'd just bought his 1972 100w super lead a 1960tv cab and an old 70's marshall 2x12 (2045) cab (all for only £1k i might add bargain!) and he got onto the subject of simms watts and he said 'i've got this amp at home that's just lying around' etc etc etc, then he suddenly went 'ah you can have it' and laughed, i thought nothing of it then suddenly next time i saw him there it was being loaded into my car for nothing LOL can't get any better than that!

6. Bassmec

Bassmec New Member

You have an Simms watts AP 100 its quite rare and very very good.
    Whats so good is its an ultra linear power amp therefore has 5 terminals
    on the primary of the output transformer. I hope its the original op transformer cos its one of the best ever made.
    Staggeringly loud before getting into clipping and what a beautiful break up
    when it does as someone else mentioned Mick Ronson was a long time endorser of this amp, think spiders from mars era Bowie.
    But thats not all it will do as well or better that a fender bassman 135 which is the closest amp to it in design but strangely this original Simms design pre dates the fender use of ultra linear designs , a certain bass player from the Who thought it sounded far better and louder clean than an ampeg V4
    also the cabs are well worth finding. Back then quite a few had very high quality Italien made RCF speakers in them standard.
    I have two Simms Watts heads in my studios an AP 100 and a monster very rare AP 200 super with all original GEC KT88's and partridge transformers and choke far larger than in my original Hiwatt DR 201.
    It runs every day in a rehearsal facility because among the many bass rigs I offer its quite a favorite with my customers for instance Dave Pybus Cradle of Filths bass player cant be bothered to get his endorsement ampeg SVT CL out of truck he just plugs his sans amp into the AP 200 with an eden 8X10 LXT cab for all rehearsals now, Hell of a Sound!.
    [​IMG]
    And the big bugger!
    [​IMG]
    :headbanger:

7. Jimib

Jimib Member

Wow thanks for all that info!
    It is all completely original as far as I am aware apart from the valves which used to be mullards but were removed by the guy who had it before me.

Here are some pics:

In The Box:
    [​IMG]

Chassis:
    [​IMG]

Front of The Amp:
    [​IMG]

Normal Channel:
    [​IMG]

Brilliant Channel:
    [​IMG]

Guts:
    [​IMG]

Board:
    [​IMG]

She needs a lot of TLC as you can see but I can't wait to get her up and running

8. Bassmec

Bassmec New Member

Yes its still wired Ultra linear and stock,
    First thing to do is get all the old Electrolytic Caps changed. I use F&T for the larger Radials and Nichicon for the smaller axials.
    Then we use Groove tubes EL 34s cos they come in well matched sets.
    And its important on this amp as you have just the one bias control.
    Pre amp tubes we love Nos Brimar because they have a lot of what Mullard have but without the heavy inflated prices today.
    But if you are prepared to go the extra mile, Mullard CV 4004 is not too shabby.
    Next replacement mains and standby switches clean up with solvents pot cleaner etc.
    Fire it up and bias its output tubes
    Plug into brilliant channel socket 1, plug a short jack patch lead in brilliant socket 2 linking to Normal socket 1 this allows you to mix the two channels and dime the channel volumes and enjoy the sparkling chime as the whole amp just breaks pre and power amps evenly and sweetly but remember this all happens at near legendary volume levels, Hmm! perhaps a power soak is in order?.
    Try a metalzone 2 pedal on the bugger its ridiculously good.

9. Jimib

Jimib Member

Brill, is there any reason you changed the caps? If i can keep her as true to original form I will. I'm not really a metal style player, more of a classic rock/blues rock style player so I don't own a metalzone and probably wont ever (no offence meant there lol).
    It'll be nice to hear the cleanliness of the amp haha

10. Bassmec

Bassmec New Member

All electrolytic capacitors slowly get more electrical leakage as the age, they are all now too old to be reliable change those parts, none of the other parts will have aged badly the resistors are usually fine in these as are the mustard caps and after all its only eight components gone bad since 1973.
    Go on boy give it a birthday it will be good as new.
    The is nothing good or funky about failing capacitors in tube amps they just sap your power and make shit loads of hum.
    :hmm:
    If you want clean power this amp is real hi fi tube amp design until it clips,
    its cleaner than any other production 4 X EL34 power stage guitar amp.
    Apart from early Simms Watts no body bothered to make Ultra Linear 4 X EL34 amps for guitar as far as I know they probably all thought it wasn't a necessary additional expense. Nice Though!
    I don't just do metal all though a lot of people seem to think thats all I do for some reason.:hippie:

11. RalleP

RalleP New Member

Hey Jimib.
    There's a sticker on the Ot... Could you tell me what it says?

Thanx in advance
    Ralle:)

12. Rambleon66

Rambleon66 New Member

I know this thread is a bit old, but hope I can get some help from some of the experts that have posted here previously.

I picked up one of these at an auction years ago, and have been playing it at low volume for years as I've never had the opportunity to crank it. I recently had a jam with a very loud drummer and had to turn it right up. About three songs in I lost all sound and puff of smoke came out the back! Now there is no power going through it at all.

I've pulled it apart and had a look and one of the tubes has blown. The resister related to this tube is discolored, but still seems to be reading the correct resistance (270ohm). All three electrolytic caps on the left have significant leakage. Probably the main culprit is the burnt out wire-wound ceramic resistor on the back of the circuit board. Photos attached.

I'm thinking of having a go at fixing this myself by replacing all the electrolytic caps, putting in a new set of matched tubes, and replacing that ceramic resistor. Does anyone know what the specs for this ceramic resistor are?

Is there anything else that may need looking at based on the photos/description.

Regards
    Kelvin

Leaking Caps.jpg Burnt_out_Ceramic_Resistor.jpg
    270 Ohm Resistor.jpg
    guts.jpg

13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Man that stuff just does not look right. Have it replaced.
    Get back to us afterwards.

14. Rambleon66

Rambleon66 New Member

Another question for those out there in the know. Is the Simms Watts 100W mkII a fixed bias amp -- I couldn't see anything on the circuit board that resembles a bias control, but one of the previous posts mentioned that it does have a single control for all 4 power tubes.

Regards
    Kelvin