Silver Jubilee - Vintage Vs Reissue

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by dslman, May 2, 2016.

1. Crikey

Crikey Well-Known Member

No, Usa.

2. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I was talking about the 2525 which is $725 in the US. I don’t know about the 2555 but that lunch box one seems to be loved by the people I spoke to. I don’t like Jub’s so I never pursued it. I think the 2555 is only about $1100, however I don’t think it’s as versatile as the 2525.

3. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Dave Friedman said that the trannys are questionnable and he's not the first to say this.

4. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

lol . That's because ceriatone is making friedman clones for half the price and are handwired.There's nothing wrong with they're tranny's. Ceriatones probably putting a dent in his business.

5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The 2555 has the same feature set as the 2525. How is it less versatile? Or do you mean a Ceriatone?

I have a 2558 - 50 watt 2x12. Heavey but perfect as far as Jubes go. I always use full power mode it seems to have more punch. I dont care for Triode mode. I think tubes will wear the same in pentode or triode. Just that on low power triode mode you can push it more. Well, a bit more.
    As far as I know. I agree a 50 watt reissue.

6. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

These are the 2 I was talking about. The 2525 is the one I saw all the praise on, if you talk to the guy that runs the Guitar Amps USA he thinks it's the best thing ever. (Then again, he's a big Jub guy.) He was big on the 2202 until he got to play the 2525, I would still like the 2202.
    http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2525/
    http://www.ceriatone.com/british-style-2555-complete-amp/

Jethro Rocker likes this.
  7. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if the mini Jubilees are outselling the big ones. This is very likely since the full sized amp was discontinued after only a couple years on the market. Part of this was all of the bickering online about it. I have never heard anyone complain about build quality on the Ceriatones. When I was looking into getting one the parts on offer were much better quality than a modern Marshall or even a lot of the builders like Friedman and others. i just don't think the Ceraitone 2555 has that Jubilee sound. It definitely has a ballsy Marshall tone though. I would compare it to a Marshall 2205 which is my favorite of the JCM800 line.

8. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

They're still selling the 2555x. Sweetwater has them for $1800+.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  9. ampeq

ampeq Well-Known Member

I'v never seen anything on the 2555 from Ceriatone, only the 2525. If the 2555 sounds different maybe thats why you don't see a lot on it. Something about that little one people seem to love though. If you talk to the guy at USA Ceriatone he can tell you why. He can take any amp he wants and still picks that one. I'v never tried one in person as I don't speak Jub, but most all those small amps seem to get a lot of love.

10. wmachine

wmachine Well-Known Member

They love the lower price (and acceptable sound)? Just guessing, as I'm not a fan.

11. JacksonCharvelAddict

Looks like they have Silver ones for 1800 and a black version for 1999. Interesting. I was told by my rep at Guitar Center that Marshall had stopped making them.

12. Gunner64

That's what sweetwater told me when I bought mine a few years ago as well.

13. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

For Germany (or maybe Europe) they have always been available.

14. JacksonCharvelAddict

I remember hearing that they were Europe only. It really blows me away that these amps did not sell better. I would love to know how many 2555x heads were sold in the US. When I went into Guitar Center to order my stack the guy tried to talk me out of it. He told me that it didn't have enough gain for Thrash. I find it has plenty of gain on tap for Thrash and Gary Holt would agree with me.

15. JacksonCharvelAddict

I wonder what the deal is. Maybe they sold well on clearance so they were able to order some more? I think I paid 1500 for my head in 2015. I saw sweetwater and others selling them for 1200 or so a couple years ago. Now they are available but the price is back up over what it was originally?

16. Gunner64

It was originally in the same range they're selling them for now I believe. I got mine from them for 1100 and change when they were clearing them out.. I had to send one back for a stiff presence pot, but the second was perfect.

17. JacksonCharvelAddict

I have heard a few people had to return theirs due to hardware issues. Maybe that is why they were discontinued. The only issue mine had was the bias was out of whack when i checked it. One side was 60 and the other was over 80. Put them both at 70 and the amp came to life.

18. Gunner64

Yep mine wasn't biased great either. Biased it at 72 a side.

19. wmachine

For "the story", read the Sweetwater ad carefully:
    "Worth the Wait!
    You can purchase the Marshall 2555X Silver Jubilee Head through Sweetwater, but Marshall builds each and every one to order, with a 6-month build time after ordering. They're worth the wait, but don't wait to call your Sales Engineer or add to cart to get your order in the works today!"
    Supposedly "made to order". I'd be willing to bet Marshall waits until they have a certain number ordered before they actually make any.

20. wmachine

I got mine near the end of the liquidations for $989. Amid the reports coming in of one of the pots being stiff/faulty. Fortunately mine was fine. Biased in the high 60s.