Silver Jubilee Reissue with fuzz

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Kevin Gernaey, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Kevin Gernaey

Kevin Gernaey New Member

Hey all,

bought a second hand Silver Jubilee reissue some time ago, like really the cleans and crunch the amp provides.

BUT! I tried a number of fuzz pedals into the amp and to be honest... they sound fairly tin and choked. I run the amp on the lead channel with a bit of crunch/gain. Doing the same on my Orange OR50 yields far better results.

Now, an amp tech I know points toward the clipping diodes as the reason why fuzz pedals won't sound good on the lead channel. As they always clip the signal (on the lead channel), they clip it a lot more when the amp has been hit by an already heavily clipped signal from the fuzz, hence the tin sound.

Anyone else experiencing this problem, or does anyone know how to make fuzz pedals sound good on the Silver Jubilee?

tce63 likes this.
  2. Matt_Krush

Matt_Krush Well-Known Member

Don't use a fuzz.
    What sound are you trying to get from the lead channel, that it doesn't provide?

I had a 2555x for a couple years.

scozz and tce63 like this.
  3. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Fuzz into the clean channel not fuzz over gain!

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I have a MJM foxy fuzz

tce63 likes this.
  5. Kevin Gernaey

Kevin Gernaey New Member

Well, I've been playing Orange for several years now, and we have a new album in the works, so I wanted to have different tonal flavors available. Read that the JCM800 takes fuzz pedals really well, and since the Silver Jubilee is based on the 2203 (and has more variety with the channel switching and so), I went the Jubilee route. I really like the lead channel for soloing (more than my Orange), but kinda disappointed it doesn't take fuzz so well.

And why fuzz? I play in a stoner rock band ;-)

tce63 likes this.
  6. Kevin Gernaey

Kevin Gernaey New Member

Well, the one thing I didn't check yet, is how a fuzz sounds on the clean channel with the input gain cranked up all the way. I tried it on modest input gain with a fuzz, but that was pretty thin sounding.

Read somewhere that the clean channel (without the pull switch) doesn't have the diodes in the signal path, so cranking that might work...

tce63 likes this.
  7. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the forum, a great place,
    I don't have my 2525C any longer, But when I had it I just used a Boost pedal with mine

8. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

cranked might be too fat just experiment

9. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Try using an OD pedal, (instead of a fuzz), with just a bit of drive,....almost like a clean boost but with a little more hair on it.

dptone5 likes this.
  10. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

This is the answer. It is a jcm800 in the clean channel.

Kevin Gernaey likes this.
  11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

A better strategy may be to use a clean boost to get some real tube distortion from the preamp. You may find a tone upgrade compared to fuzz...
    The only type amp which works good with fuzz is a completely clean amp....not really a Marshall.
    That's the trouble with high gain amps: not really suitable for pedal distortion or fuzz effects. More suitable for it's own tube overdrive.
    You can get away with delay, flange, phase, even reverb in a high gain tube amp...but distortion pedal and fuzz usually sounds like blip.

The result is usually a fizzy weak transistor radio type of tone, instead of what was imagined.

dptone5 likes this.