Should We Adjust The Years For Let's Talk Vintage From 1962 - 198# ?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by tomsvintage, Jan 10, 2018.

1. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

Mine too. Assembled Dec.20,1983 but dated 1984 in serial number.

colchar likes this.
  2. Trapland

Trapland Well-Known Member

Ok I have one last idea. Any model that was introduced BEFORE the large head logo. That’s everything up to and including 2203/2204s made until the change over in 1976.

3. boola1

boola1 Active Member

They switched to a medium sized logo in 1976. The large logo didn't appear until the late 70s. Also, some 76 amps still had the small logo so we'd need to find out which month they started appearing.

4. Trapland

It’s my understanding that in 76 it was random and not a hard changeover. My kid and I each own a 76 head. Mines a small log with elephant hide, his is large logo and was made a month earlier.

What I have yet to see is a small logo 1976 model 2203 or 2204.

See? All the vintage details to angst over lasted until at least 1976. ;)

5. boola1

boola1 Active Member

[​IMG]

plexilespaul and Trapland like this.
  6. Trapland

Thank you for that. The Marshall sound at ANY volume level!

7. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

Why bother? That’s the introduction of PCBs all for a 3 year time window that disregards a half decade of classic JMPs and arguably the superior and more desirable circuits. If they all can’t be accepted to ‘81 I’d just as soon see things stay at ‘73 rather than some absurd and arbitrary cutoff.

buddy7168 likes this.
  8. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    2203, 50 watts RMS, 2204, 100 watts RMS. You would think some one would have been able to proof read a couple of hundred words. :facepalm:

9. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

While this sounds good in theory, you have to be very careful when addressing traffic flow on what is already a very niche forum. There have been other various niche forums that have gone in that direction, and the results are almost always a fracture of traffic flow where, as noted earlier, many sub-forums gather cobwebs. While I can understand the debate over what would go in the 'vintage' sub-forum, I would not vote in favor of additional sub-foums unless the traffic warranted doing so. That said, it's really up to what Alex wants to do - I just happen to be in favor of the way things are now given I've seen the alternative have disastrous consequences elsewhere.

Trapland likes this.
  10. coldengray

coldengray Active Member VIP Member

11. matttornado

matttornado Well-Known Member

Anything from the 80s is vintage IMO

12. stratburst

stratburst Active Member

To the original post... Nope...

13. Trapland

I hope my edits kept your point.

I very much agree with this. I’ve seen sub-forums ‘gone wild’ to the point there’s almost separate forums for purple, red and fawn. There was a forum for every nut and bolt, but that wasn’t the real problem. The real problem is the owner and/or moderator jumping on EVERY new user for posting in the wrong sub forum. Or being slightly off topic. Or as if they had asked him specifically. Its so bad that almost every post in the last few years was answered by the same admonishing moderator(s), then the thread just dies.The exact same thing happens on the 18 watt forum.

Sorry if the people in power at those forums hang out here, but there’s a reason there haven’t been any posts of substance in months or years. Yes I used the search, and all I found was him telling people to use the search.

Really, this place is by far the best for a Marshall lover and I don’t want to see anything hurt it. I’m just having fun with the discussion on this thread. This forum seems pretty tolerant of an occasional 4010 topic. Sorry, but the midi-switching crowd just doesn’t get 6 knob amps like the guys here do. I’ll try to behave.

soundboy57 likes this.
  14. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm not sure which forum you're talking about (nor am i going to ask since i'd like to remain respectful in how other forums go about things by not calling anyone out specifically), but yes, I've seen it not only on music forums, but on forums related to other topics as well. As for creating thread in the wrong sub-forum, yeah, that happens almost daily, but no, it's not something we bring unnecessary attention to (let alone admonish someone over). Generally speaking, we'll just move the thread to the appropriate sub-forum, and then attach a private note explaining why it's been moved and where it's been moved to. The only time it's ever mentioned 'out loud' is if it's someone who's been here for years and has a repetitive history of placing threads in the wrong sub-foum … and even then, saying something 'out loud' is really only a matter of copying/pasting the guide (with a topical highlight) as a friendly reminder. Believe me, placing threads in the wrong sub-forum hurts the thread starter more than it hurts us, so our role should be to assist people in making sure their threads reach their full potential and they are getting all they can out of being here (which hopefully keeps them coming back as a part of our community!).

Btw., as an aside regarding the search function, I've never understood the reasoning behind pushing someone to use the search function rather than creating their own thread … I mean, isn't that the purpose of a forum? It seems to me that asking someone to use the search function makes a forum more akin to a card catalogued reference library than an interactive community.

Trapland likes this.
  15. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

It's very simple...if I am trying to sell it, it is "vintage." If I am trying to buy it, then it must be modern and therefore cheaper.

C-Man and London John like this.
  16. Trapland

Would we change the years of ‘vintage’? WHOA bro, this has been discussed many times.....use the SEARCH function.. :lol: That way we can only have 2 posts instead of 5 pages.

I love this place. :D

17. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

Isn't anything that is over 25 years in age considered vintage?

18. C-Man

C-Man New Member

I don't know if this has been done before, but what about having two separate categories for vintage, like for example classic and vintage? Generally though, I am with the guys that claim vintage Marshall is those made before the mid-seventies. For some strange reason, I feel strange calling a DSL from the 90's or any amplifiers from 80's truly vintage even though they are old. I guess I am just conditioned that way.

19. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

I heard that GC when they buy used gear from people that anything that is over 25 years old is vintage?

20. stevemcdine

stevemcdine New Member

Should a consideration be given to any Marshall with electronic components that are not manufactured any more? or are obsolete by their nature? and should this be included or reviewed? An overview of this, relating to the stock components used in the production run of the amps model and the sustenance of any revered amp having any known repairs to the equipment, made using obsolete parts to keep it's original design. "Vintage" can be taken many ways - "Original", well there is a whole new category