Should I trade? Tokai LP vs Mexi Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by GuitarIV, Sep 25, 2019.

1. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

So there's this Tokai up for trade:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've been yearning for a traditional looking LP style guitar to add to my stable, this thing has a gorgeous color and I love the Gibson style headstock. Thing is dude says it's Korean, Tokai Forum says it might be Chinese.

Now I don't care as long as it's a good guitar. My Mexican Strat would be up for trade and I'm not sure if it would be fair or if I would end up worse.

I'm gonna go and testplay the thing, just wanted your opinions on the matter.

Thanks and cheers!

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

I was given a chinese Tokai a while back. I tweaked it with CTS pots some better pick ups and it was ok but never really a keeper.
    I have played Japanese made ones that if I closed my eyes I would not have been able to tell the difference between that and a decent Custom Shop model.
    You must play it and get chance to plug it in to your rig.

Mitchell Pearrow and jimmyjames like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges dude, it depends on what you like, dollar wise I think they are worth the same. I would take the LP over the Strat as long as it plays well. :yesway:

Ya know also, you could buy a Chibson off ebay for like $300 and keep your Strat. Just options...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  4. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I like the look of that Tokai. You'll have to judge how it plays, tunes and feels. (hmmm but, several pics show it without strings. Id want the seller to put a set on it to test). If it seems good accoustically and mechanically stand by for the possibility that you may want to change the pickups and wiring.

5. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Well-Known Member

What neikeel said, the Reborn Olds and early MIJ Love Rocks are legendary.

6. deadear

deadear Active Member

Value is about the same. I would go for it if I was wanting a LP. That one is in good shape and Mexi strats are plentifull. Chrome is good and if it was a Epi the chrome would all be oxidized.

7. South Park

South Park Well-Known Member

Keep the strat . Chineses guitars are crap . No quality control . Cheap parts week pick ups. That is why he wants to trade . Mex strats might not be the best but are better built.

8. guzzis3

guzzis3 Member

2c

Agile guitars higher spec LP's are spectacular and probably worth nothing second hand. The alnicos are ok. If I remember right you want 3000 series and up, the 2000's are just ok. I wouldn't buy new and no resale. I had one years ago but I hate gibsons with a vengance. Hate the scale, hate the necks. I'd rather a fender with split buckers....

Japanese tokai all day long, korean might as well go agile, chinese...not so much.

Opinion as always worth what you paid for it...

9. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Gibson Tuners?

Must be Chinese.... nobody would replace proper Japanese tuners with Gibson crap

Frets are pretty furrowed too

jimmyjames likes this.
  10. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Well guys, I called it off. I have a gut feeling that tells me I should walk away.

I'll keep the Strat and use my ESP as LP substitute until I find something a bit more old school looking :p

Thanks for all the input, cheers!

El Gringo likes this.
  11. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

I have an 80s MIJ love rock gold top which is a good guitar. In fact in some ways it's a more accurate replica of a 50s LP than my Gibson and in some ways it plays better too. The modern ones are OK but generic.

jimmyjames likes this.
  12. axe4me

axe4me Well-Known Member

13. deadear

deadear Active Member

Find a newish epi LP pro . Flame top. MIC. I have one and it is as good a player as my MIM tele standard. Better than my MIJ Ibanez road star. My only complaint is the fadeing of the chrome.