Should I buy these G12-65s?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by jessemhopkins, Sep 11, 2019.

1. jessemhopkins

jessemhopkins New Member

I've been stalking the local market for a good price on a set of speakers to drop in my JCM800 4104 and came across these. I know they are super desirable, but the cones look dirty as hell. Is that something to be concerned over? He's asking $200 for the pair.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The dirt isn't going to affect the tone. As long as there are no rips or tears it'll be fine. If the appearance bothers you, you can get some gloves, some cotton fabric gun cleaning patches, a bottle of black dye, and redye the cones to make them look sharp. I've done this.

Start by gently cleaning the cones with a damp soft rag, just a little at a time. Don't soak the cones, just clean lightly with a damp rag.

3. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Well, the prices have gone up considerably since I bought my last ....but YEAH, Get em !

4. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

Personally I would pass and wait for some cleaner ones. G12-65's are not difficult to find. Why settle on a pair in crap condition?

Whatever that stuff is on the cones, it is clear they have not been looked after and could have other issues.

Cones in poor condition does affect the tone, especially if they have gotten damp. Also cleaning the cones with a damp rag is bad advice. Just use a dry brush to flick the dirt off. Do not wet your speaker cones at all, this does damage the speaker cone.

5. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

$200 is a decent price for a pair, but that would be for great condition speakers.

How are these described...sounding great or good condition etc...will he let you return them if they don't work correctly?

I really like the G12-65's in combos, almost as much as the G12-80's.

6. jessemhopkins

jessemhopkins New Member

Thanks for the advice! I was further advised that it's likely mold on the cones. I'll skip these and keep looking.

7. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

But people come to you wanting to sell speakers dont they? or do you just spend thousands of hours scouring the internet for used speakers?

Im not sure what others think but imo these speakers kinda sound like a cross between greenbacks and T75s they have that middle like greenbacks but the top and low end like the 75s

8. neikeel

neikeel Well-Known Member

There are lots of 65 variants too. Imo the 1777 cones sound best for guitar. Others may prefer 444 or other variants.
    I have a pair of 15ohm 1777 cones ones here waiting for a home (too good to move on).

9. Emtbreid

Emtbreid Well-Known Member

I’ve never played a 75 or a greenback, but I’ve got an ‘83 G12-65 1777 cone 15 ohm in my DSL401 and I love it!

10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

That looks like mold, PASS