Should I buy a bass guitar

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by G the wildman, Nov 28, 2019.

1. stringtree

stringtree Well-Known Member

Good to know! Thanks anitoli!

All good info to know! :dude:

anitoli and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

here's a picture of the AVT112:

[​IMG]

it has a 100 watt Celestion speaker in it...

I think this has a 9" emblem. Mine has a 6"...

stringtree and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I actually have a Gallien Krueger bass rig but the Marshall is sitting right there so I just plug into that LOL. :yesway:

4. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. VIP Member

Fender Jazz for versatilitry.

jmp45, DaDoc, Dogs of Doom and 2 others like this.
  5. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

5 Bills !!

No, but it's 2019 (for a couple more weeks) not 1967 ....so we actually HAVE good/ efficient bass cabs to use

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That's actually not bad, I thought it'd be more!

stringtree likes this.
  7. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

To the OP, go for it!

The more instruments you can play, the better, more well-rounded musician you will be. And like others have already said, bass players are fewer in number than guitarists..A good bass player can get gigs far more readily than a guitar player can! :agreed:

I bought a '71 Fender P-Bass years ago when the bassist in the band I was playing in threw a tantrum one night and quit, so I went out the next day and bought the Fender..When he found out he lost no time in re-joining the band, making the excuse "Oh, I was just kidding about quitting!" Yeah right, more like he realized we were going to forge on with or without his azz! :lol:

I was glad, since I preferred playing guitar, but I kept the bass, still have it! My Polytone Maxi-Brute amp died on me a couple of years ago and I can't find anyone willing to work on it, so I just plug the P-Bass into the P.A..It's great for having around to record with, or just for when I want to make some low-end noise..:D

I'm actually thinking about going out today and picking up a set of drums I've found..I figure it would be fun to bang around on them, and have them around for jam sessions..Drummers might be more willing to show up if they don't have to lug their kit.

8. Dogs of Doom

unfortunately, it doesn't work that way...

Drummers, that are set, in their playing, have a decent kit/setup, it's like inviting someone over to jam & having a First Act guitar & amp kit. Even if your kit is as good, or better, they don't see it that way.

It's actually harder, because they think it's more work to remove your drum set & set their's up, rather than having an empty room...

DaDoc and stringtree like this.
  9. Dogs of Doom

just saw this on FB, thought it was fitting...

[​IMG]

10. Robus

Robus Active Member

Yes. And learn fingerstyle.

DaDoc likes this.
  11. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Is finger style harder on a short bass? We have one at my guitar club, but I don't like it for finger plucking so I play it with a pick.

DaDoc likes this.
  12. G the wildman

It is because I have too much gear that I worry about buying another bit of kit that I may not use.

That is why I wondered if it would aid my guitar learning.

G

stringtree likes this.
  13. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Get full bass scale-length (34"). The finger stretching alone will bleed into all your playing skills. They sound so much better and sustain longer.
    Also, do you record. The independence of creating your own bass tracks is priceless.

14. G the wildman

Also I practice a lot each day so hope to improve to a good standard. But as you know it is not that easy.

15. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

As long as you enjoy that gear its no biggy, but no learning bass will not aid your guitar learning, bass is something different, its learning a different instrument, and its alot of fun. Get a drum set too thats alot of fun. :yesway:

16. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Nah, a bunch o' lazy bastards around here that'll play anything as long as they dont have to load in /out

17. Dogs of Doom

not around here... :shrug:

DaDoc and stringtree like this.
  18. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Well-Known Member

The Institute for the Very, Very, Very Nervous
    Very few would stand without.

19. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Good point.

I get that, it's like us guitar guys and our rigs..I try not to be overly picky myself, I've always figured if you're a good enough player you can get a decent sound out of most gear, but I used to play in a band with a guy who once knocked us out of a potential gig because he didn't want to audition with the amps they had on hand..They were really nice old vintage Fender amps, but he insisted on driving all the way across town to retrieve his amp. The club owner didn't even have the venue open, he just unlocked the building to listen to us play, obviously had other places he needed to be, and was annoyed as hell when our anal guitarist held him up for an hour and a half. It was no problem for me, since I had a pedalboard and could dial my sound in on pretty much any amp, but he was one of the "I have to have a channel switching amp with overdrive built in so I can plug straight in" guys..We played well enough once we got set up, but the club owner was totally P.O.ed by then, and I could tell we weren't going to get the gig even before our other guitarist got back with his sh*t, and told the other guys just that!

By the way, I DID get the drums. A nearly complete old Whitehall set, minus the snare..Not a top-notch kit, and needs some TLC, but I got the whole shebang for $60.00. Something to play around with, and maybe I'll hide them if I have a jam happening. Hell, just one of the Zildjian cymbals that came with it is probably worth what I paid for the whole kit. :D

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  20. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

Nah, short scale vs. long scale doesn't really matter when it comes to finger picking.

Some bassists play almost exclusively with a pick, but if you can get good at playing bass with your fingers it's much more versatile..The trade-off is a more "rounded" tone, whereas a pick gives you a much brighter one.

One tip-If you play bass with a pick, use a heavier pick than you would use with your guitar..At least, that works for me! :hippie: