Shipping Costs From Uk To The Us

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by nichd, Mar 20, 2019.

1. nichd

nichd Member

General question... and purposely asking in the vintage section as I am guessing this is most likely where I would find answers.

I occasionally see something interesting from over the pond - how much would I typically add for shipping in figuring out cost for say a 4x12 (just to gauge) and/or what services are typically used?

Maybe it's a stupid question... and I realize costs are going to vary wildly, however just looking for a general sense to have in my back pocket.

I had a guitar shipped from south korea once and it was silly cheap via EMS... however a 4x12 from the UK is a whole 'nother matter.

stringtree likes this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Don't know about that direction... but US to Europe:
    Guitar $80-120
    100w head $250-350
    4x12 is 2-3x more than the head, at least.... ridiculous, if any mailing company will even have you, unless you find someone who does LCL loads, and a royal pain if you do.

It's just a plywood box with speakers. Plenty of deals on 4x12 and vintage speakers in the US, and the box itself is actually worthless except for sentimental value crap.

3. BygoneTones

BygoneTones Well-Known Member

UK to USA is expensive, and prices are increasing rapidly all the time too. Cost to ship a 4x12 has almost doubled in the last ten years. That is partly because DHL no longer offer home collection services like they used to and they used to be the cheapest, UPS have taken over that role really thesedays.

Couriers go by volumetric weight, so the key to getting a sensible quote for a 4x12 is to keep your packaging as tight as possible. It's a very fine line between adding enough cushioning to protect the cab (I recommend using polystyrene sheets) and keeping your dimensions as low as possible for a sensible shipping quote. Just shaving off a cm here or there can make a big difference.

For a loaded cab, say 50kg, and if you can keep your packed dimensions down to around 82 x 82 x 42cm expect to pay about £200 GBP, but do shop around for the best quotes you can find. I've always used transglobal express as they are usually cheapest, and have very good customer service.

https://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/

If you are buying from a vintage dealer, expect them to add a lot more onto that cost to cover packaging supplies, consumables, time taken etc too. Private sellers tend not to think about those costs, but businesses have to.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    RLW59, nichd and stringtree like this.
  4. JakeZine

JakeZine New Member

"If you are buying from a vintage dealer, expect them to add a lot more onto that cost to cover packaging supplies, consumables, time taken etc too. Private sellers tend not to think about those costs, but businesses have to."

Thanks! Will keep that in mind.

stringtree likes this.
  5. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Prices have almost tripled in 10 years. I used to be able to sent MIDI chips to EU for around $5 now it's $14. Can't imagine anything bigger or heavier.

stringtree likes this.
  6. nichd

nichd Member

Great and informative post!

chilipeppermaniac likes this.
  7. London John

London John Active Member

Always worth calling RockIt Cargo or Sound Moves.....they often have space on a tour shipment where they've booked capacity on flights. It's saved me many times.....particularly if you're not in a crashing hurry.

nichd, chilipeppermaniac and Adieu like this.
  8. stickyfinger

stickyfinger Active Member

Yep our out country shipping is expensive at minimum. Its now 16$ due to Trumps postal cost increase.

Ironically shipping into USA is still dirt cheap from the Uk. 5$ for small parcels.

Makes you wonder how any one could make money at 5$? Lots of hands to pass through customs, fuel ect

9. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

They make money on volume if it is there.

10. chard

chard Active Member

I’ve found UK to USA is a lot less than USA to UK costs. However nothing is cheap, interparcel and parcel2go have been the cheapest for me but still expensive, heads to the USA have usually cost around the £120.00 mark.

11. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

My mum insists on sending 20kg parcels once or twice a year for birthdays and or christmas. But they choose a double layered box about the size of a large 1x12 combo.

Royal Mail is hideously expensive. They use one of those shipping companies that sends of a fixed price box/carton/crate you choose. You just fill it up, make sure everything is listed for customs.. The U.S. side was very picky about this because they treat everything as business trade export/ import. Don't care about gifts.

Takes about 48 hours to get from the South coast of the UK to Sacramento here in California. Arrived via UPS.

I was shocked how cheap it was. I suspect you need a willing person on the UK side to arrange it though. I'm pretty sure it's done by the carton volume combined with weight restrictions for the size.

Was impressed with 48 hours door to door delivery for less than domestic ground shipping here.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  12. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

No politics mods...