Seymour Duncan Pick Up Booster?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Gilmourista, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Gilmourista

Gilmourista New Member

So recently I've been doing quite a bit of research on making my lead tone a bit thicker. I have an SSS strat btw. Now, I didn't wanna change the EQ too much on my amp because I love the single coil clean tone I get with the amp settings I have, you know for Hendrix/SRV/Mayer kind of sounds. So I was thinking of an EQ pedal, but I stumbled upon the Seymour Duncan Pick Up Booster, which really caught my eye. What are your opinions on using it to make a strat have more of a humbucker sound when using a lot of distortion? I'd only ever use the pedal when playing lead/distorted rhythm, and for cleans I'd leave it turned off. The reviews I found on youtube were quite helpful but in these videos you never really hear what you hear in a live setting. Would you opt for this instead of an EQ pedal? Also, the pedal says it should be first in the signal chain; By putting it first won't the volume be set by the volume on my lead pedal instead of the volume set on the booster? if it isn't first in the signal chain, then the resonance switches don't work according to Seymour Duncan. Thanks!

ricksconnected likes this.
  2. fifteenohms

fifteenohms Well-Known Member

Depends. I like metal, so my main thing is the wah as a q filter.

Does my wah preset sound better before a gainstage, or after?

The wah in the Hendrix alphabet is important but so is a fuzz, so is an octaver.

Roger Mayer made two type: one w octave, one w octave + fuzz.

The Duncan box is supposed to be a clean pure boost like the Boss SD-1 but even cleaner.

I hate those things. Leave it at the curb.

3. justinrhoads80

justinrhoads80 Well-Known Member

The Seymour Duncan Pick Up Booster will probably be what you need. You could use an EQ to try to manipulate the guitar a bit more, but I think that boost might be able to thicken up your sound along with some fine tweaking.

4. MoreAmpsPlease

MoreAmpsPlease Active Member

I have a Route 66 pedal that works really well for an SSS strat. It's a 2 in one pedal, both a boost and compressor each with separate defeatable tone controls. Both functions have gain, so 2 stage gain and tone shaping. Pretty inexpensive on reverb.

https://reverb.com/p/visual-sound-route-66

5. johnfv

johnfv Well-Known Member

I have the Duncan booster and it works pretty well. It's a clean boost with some preset EQ available. But, a graphic EQ will give you more tonal options to tweak if EQ is what you are looking for.

6. Far Rider

Far Rider Hendrixian VIP Member

I have one and found it to be an excellent addition to my pedal board. The 3 way switch is also pretty handy.

7. ricksconnected

ricksconnected Well-Known Member

i want one