Seymour Duncan JB,is it any good for metal?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by nofearfactor, Jun 4, 2010.

1. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

I play modern metal in one band and industrial/metal in another band. I play superstrats and LPs or LP shapes w/EMG81s into rack rigs with Fractal AX-FX Ultra and Digitech GSP1101 preamp/effects processors into Marshall 9200 Dual MonoBloc and Peavey Classic 50/50 power amps into multiple cabs.

I'm getting ready to do a big trade deal on some gear with a budd and will be getting another ESP,an LTD EC-1000, in the trade but instead of my usual EMG actives that are in my other ESPs this model comes with a SD JB in the bridge and a 59' in the neck. The only experience I have with any of SD pickups are with the active Blackouts. Most of my guitars,including my 78' LP Standard Ive had for 20 years,all have EMG81/81s in them. The only guitars I have that have passives in them are my 2 87' Charvel Model Twos that have DiMarzio ToneZones. When I play those guitars in the same rigs that I play my guitars with actives in them I dont ever have to change any EQing.

Is the JB any good for metal? Everything Ive read so far on a few other forums and in reviews says that theyre not good pickups for metal,rock yes. Any info or experiences would be helpful. I more than likely will just install some EMGs but if I dont have to I wont.

2. rockinr0ll

rockinr0ll New Member

If you are use to EMG pickups than the JB may not be enough for you. For me it is fine but I really don't like EMG pickups.

JB: think Jeff Beck, Kurt Cobain, Avenged Sevenfold etc...

EMG: think Zakk Wylde, Between The Buried And Me etc...

3. Buggs.Crosby

Buggs.Crosby New Member

whoever said they are not good for metal has no clue.....but with that said i agree with rockandroll....the will not sound lie EMG's....but to my ears half the people that use EMG's sound exactly the same

4. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

Here's a JB... I have played with other setups that are able to get pretty close to a heavy metal sound..[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3W7UIyihJo]YouTube - FLYING HIGH AGAIN - OZZY OSBOURNE - RANDY RHOADS[/ame]

5. core

core New Member

The JB/Jazz setup was and is still the standard for a lot of metal players as far as passive pickups go. Dave Mustaine didn't use them since the 80's for nothing! Can't get any more metal than Megadeth!

Listen to Rust in Peace. Those are JB's through a Jackson King V and Marshall amps. The Jazz will be a nice clean pickup for the neck to do classically clean parts. I had a '59 in one of my old Jackson V's and I didn't like it as much as the Jazz, it was a little gritty/bluesy. But for the bridge the JB was a killer for metal!

BTW with your amp setup (Love the GSP 1101!) and JB's in the Les Paul you'll get a very metal sound and comparable to a lot of metal old and newer. I think you'll like 'em.

6. jerryjg

jerryjg Active Member

Jb's and EMG's are both the definitive '80's heavy metal sound with EMG's having more of that punchy tight ripping chainsaw sound. . If you want something a littel more over the top but in a passive design., go with a Duncan Custom or Dimebucker or a Dimarzio X2n or D-activator/X.

7. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

+10 Core

They will work for metal. Possibly, sightly more metal than Mustaine - Bill Steer (Napalm Death and Carcass) used them exclusively in his RG's. One of my favorite Guitar Tones.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of8_Z_g5W9A]YouTube - Carcass - "No Love Lost" Earache Records[/ame]

8. core

core New Member

He may like the Dimebucker but I got rid of mine as it doesn't sound so good for me through tube amps.

9. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

The Dimebucker sucks, sold it on e-bay... Replaced it with an EMG 81, much better. I have D-Activator, that one I like.

10. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

I think that is the key, the Dimebucker is great through a solid state amp, not made for a marshall..

11. nofearfactor

nofearfactor Member

Wow,cool. I'm just a lazy fucker and if I dont have to change those pickups out I aint. I was plannin on puttin a ToneZone in the bridge and a Norton in the neck if I stayed with passives instead of rewiring the guitar for the EMGs. If the JB does sound good I will probably just keep it in there.

12. core

core New Member

Yes indeed Lueke.

Was looking at an Exodus video the other day and we was rattling off gear. The Duncan Custom was a pickup he uses quite a bit.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbGj0aqex3U&feature=related]YouTube - Gary Holt's A Lesson In Guitar Violence, part 5[/ame]

13. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    I like the Duncan Distortion better. seems like it has more bite!

check out the differance in tone

Duncan Distortion W Ceramic Magnets

JB Model W Alnico V's (standard)

JB Model W Ceramic Magnets

EDIT: I use EMG 81's in both my stage guitars and I love them. I am waiting for my custom P.U's to come in and I might be switching out to passives completely, don't know yet anyway, I just put a Duncan Distortion (sounds great) in my Samick which is a place holder for my Madhouse Designs Custom pickup (their winder broke down so my pickup has been delayed) but now I'm getting a hand wound 8.5k single coil for the neck out of the wait so I can't complain.

14. core

core New Member

Oh man you don't know how many lonely nights I spent listening to all those clips! :D

Glad you brought them in to the mix ElJeff.

15. Marshall Mann

Marshall Mann Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, me too! My wife came down and said "WTF is wrong with you! How many times do you need to hear that!" :lol::lol::lol:

I have SD distortions in 2 of my LP's, and I love them.

But I think nofearfactor is asking if the JBs that are already in the Eclipse will do metal. And they will.

16. luekemeyer

luekemeyer New Member

I just put the Tone Zone and Norton in my Epi LP.. They would sound better in a brighter guitar..
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MaTG4PZjP0]YouTube - CRAZY TRAIN - Ozzy Osbourne - Randy Rhoads[/ame]

17. Xx DBENC xX

Xx DBENC xX New Member

Almost all of my guitars have a JB and I play metal. Just go to Guitar Center and play a ESP with a JB and it'll answer the question for you. In fact ESP is known for metal and most of there guitars have either a EMG or a Duncan JB.

18. jerryjg

jerryjg Active Member

19. jerryjg

jerryjg Active Member

20. eljeffebrown

eljeffebrown New Member

Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
    I like the tonal structure of the custom but the gain isn't quite there ya know?:hmm:

EDIT: still like the distortion better (00:04 in the tune) out of them all tonally and gain!