Series 1 1961 Bluesbreaker - What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Vintage' started by Flano_mark, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Ned B

Ned B Active Member

Let me know when you're coming through Chicago. We do get warm weather for part of the year!

tomsvintage likes this.
  2. Flano_mark

Flano_mark New Member

Hi Folks,

Back at this once again!

The O/P TX and Choke are just back from Marstran now so ill start the referb over the next few months. Here are a few more pictures of the cab just for further info. If anyone has any info or opinions it would be much appreciated. There are a number of peculiarties on the cab, and I think its been subject to quite a bit of modification over the years; Handle, Grille cloth, possibly some tolex and maybe the baffle might have been replaced at some point. Oddly, the handle (which is long gone) was drilled out on a 4 bolt pattern (which is non-Marshall as far as I know?) and it looks like the original two hole pattern was drilled out but has been filled underneath at some point. However, there are no holes for this two bolt pattern above, yet the tolex looks original on top. It is quite strange.

Also, the grille cloth is left too long behind the baffle. It looks like early RS white cloth, however I cant say.

Unfortunately the baffle will need to be replaced, as the laminates are coming apart.

Mark

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      433.9 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      380.1 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      216.7 KB
      Views:
    • 10.jpg
      10.jpg
      File size:
      410.9 KB
      Views:
    • 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      File size:
      236.7 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      236.8 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      345.4 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      287.7 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      388.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      331.5 KB
      Views:
    Peter McAteer and JAC like this.
  3. Flano_mark

Flano_mark New Member

And heres a few more pics. One thing to note - sadly the amp was kept in a damp garden shed beside the sea for a number of years and this has taken its toll on the timberwork and other bits. It looks to have also shrank the gold rope piping somewhat. The plastic piping is still the right lenght, but the inner rope has contracted half an inch or so...

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      552.5 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      217.3 KB
      Views:
    • 11.jpg
      11.jpg
      File size:
      224 KB
      Views:
    • 13.jpg
      13.jpg
      File size:
      311.8 KB
      Views:
    • 15.jpg
      15.jpg
      File size:
      345.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    JAC likes this.
  4. JAC

JAC Well-Known Member

Nice amp! I wish you the best in getting it going again.

Flano_mark likes this.
  5. Flano_mark

Flano_mark New Member

Thanks Jac!

JAC likes this.
  6. Flano_mark

Flano_mark New Member

Ive been chatting to Ken Underwood about these old combos and he has been very kind to impart some information about the ealy days at Marshall which I found very interesting! I had asked Ken if he could shine some light on the early run of these amps - Please see below message which I've added here with Kens permission:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We;ll Mark i will do what i can in as much that i was on the side lines at the time that this amp was made, which must have been at the Silverdale Road factory, late 64, in Hayes Middlesex, my home town.

All the classic signs of Dudley Craven`s work, his trade m,ark was the red and black twisted pair of the heater wiring.

I made yards and yards of this myself and the difference between the very early amps was i used to use a hand brace at one end with the other shut in a bench vice and just turn the brace until the wires were twisted nice and tight, later amps were fairly loose, as you can see i am sure, i am sure you know why this was done that way.

Another sign that it is an early one is the mains connector, not like the IEC type that is used today.

So you can see that you have a classic amp dating back some 55 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wonderful to hear memories of how much effort the two Kens and Dudley put into their work, some history made in those early days...

@ Ken - you will get that pint of Guinness yet :) Many thanks

JAC likes this.