Selling Regrets ?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Steve Smith, Dec 8, 2019.

1. soundboy57

soundboy57 Well-Known Member

I have zero regrets. I still have a gorgeous Les Paul Reissue, and nice Strat, a early 70's half stack, among other nice
    audio gear.
    I have had up to 10 "nice" vintage half stacks at one time, a dozen beautiful Les Paul's, etc,
    and sold most of it to build my business, and make room for other things in the basement.
    My kids are both happy, and it is just stuff that doesn't really have any emotional attachment :)
    One thing I learned...just because it is "old" doesn't mean it all automatically sounds great :)
    Some does...some doesn't.

In the end, it is "just stuff"

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Active Member

To have a true vintage Camaro restoration especially the wonderful SS model, having a murdered corpse in the trunk is a mandatory requirement :D:D:cheers:

3. Steve Smith

Gorgeous car dude :applause::applause:I absolutely LOVE Vette's XXX They might be "little" by US and the Purple one's standards but try getting one past a farm truck on a narrow winding country road in England! LOL :uk::uk::usa::usa:

tce63 likes this.
  4. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Yes and no. I've had lots of gear over the years, and I'm absolutely of the "I don't really need it anymore, so lets sell it" kinda guy.

But I found, some pieces stick to you emotionally. I once had a '99 Music Man Axis Super Sport I bought in 2004. It had lotsa dings, mostly on the back, but it was my baby. Then around 8 or 9 years later, it didn't get as much playing time, as my then number ones, so I sold it.
    Already one or two years later I started missing it, and contacted the buyer, who of course won't let it go. I still miss it, although I soon found a very similar one spec- and look-wise, which I absolutely love, but it's not the one I had earlier...

I also have a tc chours flanger pedal from the early 80s, which I bought around 1997 . I managed to never sell it, although it is not my favorite chorus pedal (albeit very good), and the flanger mode is just decent, not more.

5. Kolanti

Kolanti Active Member

I regret selling my first real guitar ever a Gibson explorer that I was working all summer to buy it when I was 18.
    And I regret selling a white Gibson Flying V with ebony fretboard that I traded for a simple strat :/

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Thanks! It’s my commuter car LOL. Blast up and down the interstate to the office pretty much every day. Life’s too short to drive boring vehicles.

Modern ‘Vettes are fairly wide-ass cars so yes, you have to be careful trying to pass or park. And low - your head is sitting about wheel hub height to a tractor trailer rig. Can freak you out when driving with the top off.

I know there are some pretty active ‘Vette clubs in the UK. I respect their dedication!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  7. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Wide and tight. The handling in these cars is phenomenal.

8. jmp45

jmp45 Well-Known Member

Very Cool Eastwood.. I'm wondering if when the C8s start coming out the C7s and prior models will start to be dumped on the market.

Steve Smith and eastwood6 like this.
  9. anitoli

Pretty much. I bought my C6 this summer with 20k on the clock and a clean title for less than a brand new 4 banger car. The woman who owned this babied it.

eastwood6, Mitchell Pearrow and jmp45 like this.
  10. eastwood6

eastwood6 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack the thread but yes, it will be interesting to see how the market reacts when the mid-engine C8s hit the showrooms next year.

A lot of ‘Vette owners prefer a manual transmission, which is not available in the C8 so there will still be interest in a stick shift C7 or previous models. But the 8 is smokin’ hot in my book. Definitely on my radar.

Now back to our regularly scheduled Marshall Forum content...

11. Steve Smith

Cool! with the posi rear diff I bet she is like a Nissan GTR off the line ! :h5:

The Jag just has a standard open rear differential, bah :mad2:

Once again, Ford's crack team of design accountants in 1999 deemed that the basic electronic traction control was sufficient, to save some coin, instead of a more expensive mechanical LSD, bloody philistines ;);).

Traction control is crap man! Just a boring safety device for modern incompetent drivers with a Lead right foot that abruptly cuts the power off.

If I can make a sonic analogy - traction control is like a cheap limiter speaker protection, a good mechanical differential is like a high end rack mount compressor/expander unit.

I did consider getting a bespoke LSD fitted, the Quaiffe system is a work of art. But at £1800 + £1200 for fitting I was bombed out by the missus.

In any case the Jag is not a sports car, more of a fast comfortable GT cruiser, like sitting in a leather wingback chair in a gentleman's club in London complaining about the price of a decent bottle of Claret and how great our country once was.

Ha ha ha :D:D

:uk::usa:

12. Steve Smith

Yeah Callahan, sorry dude I just get carried away, will stick to topic, promise! :fingersx::fingersx:

One last thing if I may.. Sometimes on a Sunday morning when the roads I clear I blast along the coastal route and park by the lighthouse. Take a pan, jar of coffee, bacon + sausage and eggs. Cook breakfast on the Cam covers (I'm not kidding). Never tried it with the JMP 100, might end in tears and an expensive refurb :D:D

KR's

Smithers :mrburns: Photo0072.jpg Photo0073.jpg

13. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

Ah yes, the Jag into the Corvette 800 half stack convo...

Steve Smith likes this.
  14. Steve Smith

The Mafia godfather Enzo said at the 1961 Geneva motor show.

"That thing is the most beautiful car I have ever seen, but it has a big problem. It does not have a Ferrari badge on it"

Blue eyes went to the organisers and said "I want that car and I want it now!"

"I am very sorry Mr Sinatra it is a prototype so you will have to wait a while"

The series 1 E-type/XKE was mechanically very bad because Jaguar had to cut corners to produce them quick enough to supply the demand.

The American's used to joke at the time.. "Why do the British drink warm beer ? because they use Lucas fridges" Bah humbug :(:(

15. Steve Smith

Jag preamp feeding a Vette power amp, mmm... :applause::applause::applause: :uk::usa:

Kookaburra likes this.
  16. Steve Smith

I am sure that the C8 will be amazing but the purists will not be happy. Mid engine with DSG shift? that is not what a muscle car should be. Witchcraft !!! they will be bringing out a 2.0L 4 pot with twin turbo's producing more power next ! Nooo ... Please leave it to our friends in the East, they do that sort of thing much better IMHO.

I think C6 and C7 will hold their value well because of this.

However the Fisker and BMW i8 are fabulous, the electric motor is the future, but hateful horrible useless batteries ARE NOT!

Hydrogen Cell technology with the electric motor will save the planet and give performance without the need to have to own a hideous Toyota Prius

17. anitoli

Nothing wrong with a Prius it's just the chick the goes with it that can be an issue.................

Mitchell Pearrow and Steve Smith like this.
  18. Steve Smith

The Toyota Prius is a vile wart in the development of humanity. But if the girl who drives it looks like Amber Heard then I would be happy to sell the Jag and eat lentil stew. However I think she likes vintage Mustangs and Semi autos on the range, so all is good.

Disclaimer - only use weapons under the guidance of a qualified firearms expert. Its not big or clever to take them to school or portray them in Hip Hop videos.

That should cover me.

19. Steve Smith

Christian Slater had the best idea. Buy an eco car to "Carbon Offset" your classic Corvette or Mustang then leave it in the garage.

20. Steve Smith

Then you can be both worthy and happy