Sell My Jcm 2000? Sentimental Value Vs. Reason

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by GuitarIV, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Gunner64

Gunner64 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The point here isn't if you need an amp that big, or if you use it or not, or if Dad will find out you sold it. The point is your Dad gave it to you and after he's gone ( sucks but it will happen) you will wish you kept everything he gave you. Sounds silly but I still have the skilsaw mine gave me 2 days before he died in 2003, so it really imo doesnt matter if it was an amp, a skilsaw, or a blimp for that matter..it somehow has a spiritual connection to Dad.

And after a parent dies something changes inside you a little, it's really hard to explain but you just feel different from that point on.....unless you need to sell it for food or shelter keep that amp..my dad gave me a 1961 fender duo sonic and a old National valverb when I was 17 and I have regretted not hanging on to them almost everyday since.

2. SonVolt

SonVolt Well-Known Member VIP Member

What about talking to him about? Something like how special it was as your first amp but that you feel you've outgrown it and it's a shame because it doesn't get played as much as it used to.... maybe he'll say something like "Sell it! Buy something you really want".

ricksconnected likes this.
  3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Keep it as a tribute and honor to your father , same as me as he got me a script logo MXR Phase 90 which I still have and still use with my pedals . The last day my father was alive he visited me at work to see if I was okay and if I needed a few bucks which of course I said yes and got a couple of bucks . I miss my dad !

Mitchell Pearrow and GuitarIV like this.
  4. EddievanDamon#2

EddievanDamon#2 Active Member

I have to agree, hold on to it! You'll be pissed at yourself later. The day I was born my parents bought a small 8 track home stereo with a couple small speakers. Nothing too fancy (This was 48 years ago). That stereo has been in my moms house since the day she bought it. As a kid I can remember my mom listening to country music on it and singing along while cleaning the house. My dad passed away in 2011 and out of the blue my mom gave me this stereo (It still works to this day). I cleaned it up and put it in my music studio at home. I don't even turn it on anymore. I just look at it and remember being a kid and how happy that stereo made my mom. My mom is now 78 and I don't know how much longer i'll have with her but that stereo will never leave my house while i'm alive. Make the right choice my friend.....

5. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

Played the DSL some more today. Man, I forgot how awesome the lead channel on voicing 2 is. Put the gain control on 2, engage the deep button, balance with the presence control, clean boost and healthy amount of mids and you have some amazing thick rhythm tones going on and great singing leads. I guess sometimes you gotta spend some time with gear again in order to remember why you fell in love with it in the first place.

Took my Strat with the Dimarzio Area 61/67/58 set, apart from beautiful jangly clean tones I got I also turned the tone control down, used lead mode 2 and played highway star with it. It's amazing how much you can fatten up and saturate those noiseless singlecoils with the DSL to play heavier styles.

Amp is staying. Not only because of the sentimental value but also because it can do soo much more than most people give it credit for :D

6. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

With all the throw away junk we make today my wife's son will have nothing left that was around when he was a kid to remember. It's all at the dump.

My sister got our old valve stereo and did not care for it. If I had it it would still be sitting here somewhere, I remember Mum and Dad sitting around listening to it. I also remember looking through a gap in the cabinet and thinking I could see people on a stage (I was looking at the valves, Ha Ha)

GuitarIV and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Neil Skene

Neil Skene Well-Known Member

That MXR 10 band you have can also bring out some mean tones used in the loop.
    Try it with a phaser set with the speed and depth on zero, my Maxon lets me adjust the feedback to change the "tone" for want of a better word.

My DSL gets the most use out of all my amps, I bought it new around 04/05 it was not a gift but people have come and gone since I got it and events have happened that had me sitting in front of it, amp humming, not playing just thinking. I remember taking it places with some of those people and doing fun and silly things. Took it way out in the bush to my bass fishing spot once with a generator and had a whole ravine booming with DSL :) Fun times that will be had no more.
    Now you have me reminiscing :hug:

8. 67mike

67mike Well-Known Member

Anyway you can do a comparison video of thosr 2 amps??????

GuitarIV likes this.
  9. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

The secret weapon !!!! MXR 10 Band in the Parallel EFX Loop on a DSL …… amazing

10. texhex

texhex Well-Known Member

My vote is do not sell. Your life will change, you may eventually buy a house or find you have regular access to a space where you can open up the dsl and the 800. Put a cover over it and keep it.

You can always make money, that amp is one of a kind to you.

11. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

Basically, DSL is plagued with technical issues and reliability problems but it sounds good.
    800 is far more reliable provided it's serviced correctly.

We haven't even cataloged all the stuff that goes wrong with a DSL. At least 10 separate known issues.
    But eventually there will be standardized re-furbish procedures (some day).

12. Jeff Hudson

Jeff Hudson Active Member

When the day comes you don't have your dad any more you will regret selling that amp, for that alone I would keep it. It may become a source of comfort to you some day in the future. I have some things from my grandfather that when I see them around the house it makes me smile thinking of him.

13. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Well .... i would be the wrong guy to ask about keeping a lot of Marshall amps as i have a 6100 .
    Bottom line , if your happy with it then thats all that matters .
    Nice rig btw !!

GuitarIV likes this.
  14. GuitarIV

GuitarIV Well-Known Member

I've been meaning to do so for a while now, if time allows it and I get to do it I'll post it on the forum here :)

That's why I'm contemplating on sending it to a tech for a complete checkup and the installation of the stable bias mod. The only thing bothering me about the DSL is that I know it might break down one day. It's more likely than with my 2203 and that amp is almost 40 years old...