SC20H/HOLY CRAP!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Gene Ballzz, Aug 21, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well to me, the 800 Studio fits in that list of bands quite nicely. It’s NOT a high gain amp by anyone’s definition.

I’m also a fan of the tones of those bands, (with the exception of the Stones), and I love the blues!

This amp covers it all imo, it’s much more versatile that I had expected.

2. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I don't think an 800 is a metal amp only thing. I've played in a Contemporary Christian group using my JCM1 50th and it worked great. I ran it wide open miked up and just rode my volumes on my Les Paul.

I do think the Studio Vintage would fit better for what you described though. Think the years the SV represents which is in line with the bands you mentioned.

BanditPanda and tce63 like this.
  3. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Well I must admit that was a bit of assumption. It was sitting on a small single speaker cabinet that might have been a 10" speaker inside, pretty sure the same store used to sell the small DSL head (maybe it was a DSL 5 watter?) I thought the studio series heads were advertised with matching 2x12 cabs?

Either way it looked similar to the picture above my post but I almost want to recall the head was wider than the cabinet by a fraction.

Very well could just be a poor sounding cabinet. Either way the sounds that came out of it made the $1299 price tag laughable at best. The store didn't have any 2x12 or 4x12 cabs and I wouldn't have troubled them to hook one up just to satisfy my curiosity even if they did.

4. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

One thing to kee in mind with posts on this site (or any site for that matter) is that they are biased (not in a bad way, just a reflection of the person's preferences and experiences). A lot of what you might read on here about a JCM800 is that it sounds like crap at low volumes, or it's stupid loud, or it's primarily a metal amp. I had bought a used 4010 combo from GC and almost talked myself out of the sale based on what I read on here, and all before playing a note through it!

I found it to be as loud as I want to make it, with respectable tone at low volumes (tone is subjective), and classic rock tones like what you mentioned are easily attainable simply by lowering pre-amo gain and/or plugging into the low sensitivity jack.

Just my 2 cents...

5. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

A very astute observation, right there!
    My $.02,
    Gene

6. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

Agreed. The 2203KK sounds better at low volumes than many amps I've tried, notably the TSL.

Turn the gain below half and it's very old school Marshall sounding.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Thanks Lucky.
    I'm ok with other peoples opinions. I glean info from many sources and of course a lot does come from here and thank you to the MF'r brethren.!
    What I think about is that the 800 Series has lots of gain on tap whereas the SV does not unless cranked. As mentioned I'm a pedal guy and therefore I tailor my gain / dirt / distortion with pedals. I run my DSL40C Green & clean channel ( classic no crunch) at 75% volume and 25% gain and over all out put controlled by the pedals.
    That's the reason I'm thinking the SV would more suit my idiosyncrasies lol.
    Does that make sense?
    BP

tce63 likes this.
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well BP, I think I can speak to this,...having in my possession a 800 Studio and a Dsl1hr. I don’t play with tons of gain either, in fact I change out the V1 position to a lesser gain preamp tube in my Dsl.

With the lower gain preamp tube,...I like my gain knob on my Dsl around 2.5 or 3, or so. On my 800 Studio,...to achieve relatively the same level of gain, my 800 would need to be set at about 6.

Keep in mind that back in the day, many of our favorite tones from our favorite bands using JCM800s, were also using overdrive/distortion pedals to push the power section.

On its own Marshall 800 Studios are barely medium gain amps when cranked full. There is no comparison in terms of pure gain between 800 series and Dsl series.

The DSLs have copious amount of gain compared to the 800s.

9. BanditPanda

Hey scozz & thanks for the feed back.
    "The DSLs have copious amount of gain compared to the 800s."
    For sure the DSL has lots of gain however as mentioned I do not use it. I do not even go into Crunch mode.
    So based on what I've put out there it's still SC over the SV IYO ?
    BP

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

BP, my whole point is, don’t leave the 800 Studio off of your list of choices. I think the 800 would serve you well in your musical endeavors, and has an added advantage of versatility on its side.

Bottom line,...if you’re in the market for one of these amps, go and play them both,......and go and play both again....

Good music and good tone are sooooo subjective,.....your own ears have to make the decision.

Best of luck, Scozz.

11. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I'm okay with others' opinions here, as well. I will be first to admit that 99% of the regulars here know WAY more about amps than I do. I was just trying to say that the info may not represent the circumstances with which you wish to apply to your playing.

Incidently, the SV20 and a Weber Mini Mass is an awesome combo that will allow you to achieve most any classic rock tone you might be chasi G, without the need for any pedals...

12. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

The SV20H does sound great with @JohnH attenuator! :agreed:

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and JohnH like this.
  13. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Well, see it this way: Andy Summers' amp of choice on the original Police run was a JMP, so pretty much the same amp. Want the killer clean-ish tones on Roxanne, So Lonely and so on ? This is the amp you need. And that's just one example (if a wonderful one). The JCM are far from a one-trick pony. Sure, it's THE amp to get for anything 80s hard rock related, but it can do much more.
    As a whole, Marshalls are wonderful clean amps. They're what Steve Cropper used with pretty much anything Stax (as seen in many live videos from the era, with Otis Redding amongst others). Hendrix, Frusciante, you name it. To me, they're much fuller and throatier than anything Fender. And I've played an original mid-60s Bluesbreaker combo that was the best clean tone I've ever heard in my life. Plus the Ceriatone JTM45 clone I had was the best pedal platform clean amp I ever owned.

Also, regarding the SV vs SC, keep in mind that, depending on the pickups you use, the SV breaks up pretty fast. Still an amazing pedal platform, as pretty much any drive and distortion pedal sounds amazing through it, but the fact that you have a MV on the SC makes it IMHO a better amp if you want a clean pedal platform at manageable levels.
    I never played the SC, but if it's anything like its bigger siblings, the SV will be at tad better at getting the amp to crunch then turning down the guitar volume, switching pickups and having a lighter right hand attack to get back to clean (which is how I use my SV).
    Slightly different tone too, NMVs are slightly throatier and fuller while MVs are a bit sharper, faster and leaner. YMMV obviously, but that's how I hear it.
    Hope that helps.

And @Gene Ballzz : I have a DSL100 and SV20H, and while the DSL is a great amp in its own right, the SV is something else. Paired with the right cab/speaker (I use an EVH 212 with G12H30 Anniversaries), it's a lethal combination. Super clear, authoritative and incredibly touch-responsive. Every bit as classic Marshall tone and feel as you can wish, in a package that's light, just the right wattage for that kind of amp, perfect feature set, not crazy expensive too (1k€ for that ? I'd do it again time and again).
    They definitely did something right with that range.

14. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Crap! Even with a 4010, you've now got me jonesing for an SC20. Thanks! I think...:eek:
    Can you get an original for the same money here? Likely if you can find one.
    But an fx loop and 5 watt setting ( or 20 watt) is very appealing. That's hard to come by on an original.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. BanditPanda

Thanks very much sky. Re:" the SV breaks up pretty fast." That surprises me. I was under the impression that like an SLP or BB etc., that amp would take tremendous volume before break up. Is that wrong thinking on my part?
    Re: MV on the SC yes agreed a big plus however as you said "NMVs are slightly throatier and fuller" which are traits that I dig.
    In the end you chose the SV instead of the SC without even trying the SC.
    What about the SV made you chose it?
    BP

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  16. BanditPanda

Where have I heard that before !?? :lol:
    BP

Jethro Rocker and tce63 like this.
  17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Simply because I knew from having played quite a bunch of 2203/2204s that my DSL100 could get pretty close to that tone, the way I use it, while it couldn't do the "Plexi" tone AND feel (which is huge for me) as well. Hence the SV.
    Regarding breakup on the SV, with a humbucker (and my LP has Slash sigs, so nowhere near high output) you get some breakup pretty much from the get go. With SCs, you can stay pretty clean/edge of breakup up to 5 on Normal and 3-4 on High Treble. Depends a lot on several factors of course (right hand attack, pickups you use, pedals, you name it), but that's pretty much the way it is.
    My trick (which seems to be kinda off-center these days) is using pretty vintage-output single coils (I use Suhr V60LPs on my Strat) as opposed to a kinda beefy humbucker (Duncan SH4 still is my favorite), set the amp to get some crunch going on the humbucker, and then use the singles as my clean channel, which some adjusting of the volume pot and lighter right hand touch. If I want things really clean, I have a Detox EQ clone, seems to do the trick pretty well.

Also, as I stated before, keep in mind that with the SV (as with pretty much any Lead/Superlead) beyond 4-ish on either volume pot you don't really get more volume, only more saturation and compression, ending that fuzzy warm tone you get with every pot dimed. Which is why I personally tend to prefer both volumes at 7-8 and boost beyond that, much more clarity to my ear.
    So, not really a clean amp by any stretch of imagination, unless you want to remain at TV/bedroom volumes. But again, I'd bet it's not what it was designed for.
    The SLP and BB remain clean(ish) for longer only because, unless you use an attenuator, at 4 (which is where breakup starts to really happen, before that they're cleanish, again depending on the pickups you use and how heavy your right hand is) they're already super loud, largely enough to compete with most drummers. In my experience atleast. It all comes down to clean headroom in the end ;)
    I guess you need to try one out, and see which suits you the most, and if you can deal with its specifics. But again, for THAT tone and THAT feel, it's an amazing amp that's pretty much unique in its category and price bracket (again feel is huge for me, I love the way the amp reacts to every nuance of your playing, and the more you put into it, the more it gives you...already makes me a better player from using less and less extra gain from boosts to play the same runs).

Sorry for the long-winded post, but I hope it gives a tad more perspective.

18. BanditPanda

Yes. Much obliged.
    BP

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  19. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

If we ignore the differences in volume, how does the SC20 compare to the DSL20 in terms of sound?

tce63 likes this.
  20. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Dam, now you guys got me gassing for a mini 800.
    I have been selling off some gear recently to acquire an E-drum kit and then I read this thread.
    I already have a DSL 20HR, an SV20H and a Mini Jubilee. Do I really need a mini 800?

scozz and tce63 like this.