SC20H/HOLY CRAP!

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Gene Ballzz, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Gene Ballzz

Gene Ballzz Well-Known Member

OMG, did I already say HOLY CRAP? :eek: Just played one of these at GC, through a 1960A box and TELL YOU WHAT! Very true to it's supposed roots and certainly a very loud 20 watts! I do find it very tough to believe that the low power setting is even anywhere near the ballpark of Marshall's "claimed" 5 watts! :rolleyes: I have a Class 5 that measures out at 9 watts and a DSL5C that measures at 6-ish watts and neither of them cranked would be even barely audible beside this SC20H at the low power setting, cranked!

If the SV20H comes even close to replicating it bigger relative, as well as the SC20H honors it's ancestor, I'll have a new amp! While my DSL20 kicks some serious a$$, this Studio Series just seems to be in a whole other league of OH YEAH! :woot:

And Did I Already Say HOLY CRAP? :naughty:
    Gene

2. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

"I have a Class 5 that measures out at 9 watts and a DSL5C that measures at 6-ish watts ..."

measured using what method?

"Studio Series just seems to be in a whole other league of OH YEAH!"

At least Marshall did one thing right...:lol:

scozz and tce63 like this.
  3. Gene Ballzz

Don't recall the whole procedure or the equations, but it included a signal generator, dummy load and oscilloscope. It was a while back and throughout this here "innernest" thingie, it is fairly widely accepted that a healthy Marshall Class 5 can output between 7 & 9 watts, depending on several of the allowed choices for distortion levels. There is really not much truly "CLEAN" power in those little 5 watt amps!

Not wanting to pick nits with anyone about other amps, as this Studio Classic produced EARGASM, that need not be quatified nor qualified by technicalities. It's simply a much awaited, more easily controlled version of good old fashioned Marshall Goodness! At least that's what my ears have to say on the subject! :cheers:

And FWIW, I actually even brought my @JohnH attenuator to run the amp through it's volume paces, just to see if I could get the amp to fit into my volume universe. And guess what? It most certainly does! :dude:

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  4. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

This news I like very much!
    John :agreed:

5. Gene Ballzz

I thought you might, which is why I tagged you in my good and wise friend!

Your attenuator design works so well, that I'm very surprised it has not become a raved about phenomenon across the whole internet. I must though, say again, that the 16Ω version that I opted for, fits itself much more universally and seamlessly into places than an 8Ω version would. The fact that it's input doesn't care whether the actual speaker is 16Ω or 8Ω (unless the unit is bypassed) makes it truly stellar and simple to use.

Thanx 4 The Liberation That IS Good Attenuation!
    Gene

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

:applause:
    Excellent post brother!!
    Cheers Mitch
    :cheers:

MarshallDog, scozz and tce63 like this.
  7. Jon C

Jon C Well-Known Member

Ditto !!

scozz, tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

As Mitch says :applause:

9. Gene Ballzz

Thanx 4 all the applause guys! :agreed: That's more than I often get/see these days, as at my age I don't get to gig a lot! The real star here though (besides this amp series) is the esteemed @JohnH for his efforts at researching, developing, testing and following through on these ground breaking attenuators. I'm gonna bet that even though his original attenuator thread has nearly 500 posts, with many kudos, only a few have actually gotten off their wazoos to build them. I, on the other hand am a total maniac and will end up having one in at least every one of my several amps and possibly even my speaker cabinets too.

The bane of my existence as a guitarist who never used stomp boxes was always the phrase "Dude, your guitar sounds absolutely fantastic, can you just turn it down a little bit?" :pissed: Really puts a damper on yer day! Ya know what I mean? :wtf: All that goes away with a great attenuator! FYI, I used to play in a three piece band called "On Ten" and played through a 100 watt, four input Super Bass and a Black Face Showman, each into it's own 1960B box, both always on, both always cranked! Well actually, each amp drove two speakers in each cab, as there was a cab on each side of the stage, as well as matching bass rigs on each side of the stage! Now that was some glorious tone with just a wah! And yeah, it was "HOLY FOOK" loud! :wow:

Just Sayin'
    Gene

Mitchell Pearrow, JohnH and tce63 like this.
  10. tmingle

tmingle Active Member

My 16 OHM version has become a vital part of my rig. I rarely run my 40C below 5 on the MV.

Mitchell Pearrow, JohnH and tce63 like this.
  11. Gene Ballzz

That Sir, is a perfect example of my exact point here! All of my cool, beloved, old amps that have been "too loud" for my current situations have now become useable and useful again! My DSL20C (at full wattage) needs between -10.5db & -14db of attenuation, 5E3 Tweed Deluxe, about -7db, although my JTM30 needsbetween -17.5db & -21db. These all get me to about the same SPL/apparent volume, while retaining the unique characters of the best of the best settings on these amps, as well as several others. My DSL40CR is gonna go buh-bye,but that DSL20C (I call it the Deluxe Reverb Slayer) would be very hard to part with. Especially since it got a well broken in Pre-Rola Greenback installed! It's the first time I've ever enjoyed a combo as just a combo!

Life Is Good & I've Heard, Much Better Than The Alternative! ;)
    Gene

12. Deep Purple fan

Deep Purple fan Well-Known Member

Enjoy! I’ve got the SV20. It’s a stud of an amp and true to the legacy.

13. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

Very colorful review Gene and I would not disagree with you. I played one several months ago and was very impressed. I would say though that the MV was very manageable and the amp sounded great through the entire volume range...ie cranked or turned down. Not sure that could be said for the older higher wattage versions. I am curious to get my hands on an SV20H but have a feeling with that amp being a Non-MV that is it loud as Ballz so to speak.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

the jubilee I can play at low levels its almost as good cranked.

15. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Active Member

I use a Mini Mass attenuator with my SV20H and run the head through a 1965A 4x10 sitting on top of a 1966B 2x12. The Mini Mass does a fantastic job of attenuation and I run it on the 3 dB treble boost option. Gets absolutely glorious sounds, especially with my ES335. And for $136, pretty tough to go wrong.

This "@JohnH" attenuator is intriguing... I'm not a tinkerer when it comes to stuff like this but certainly seems worth looking into based on Gene's posts...

tce63 likes this.
  16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well glad you finally made it to the party @Gene Ballzz! :fingersx:

I’ve been sounding the praises of the 800 Studio on this forum since a few hours after I first received mine. These are incredible sounding amps that carry on the legacy of the full size Jcm800!

Marshall has really hit a home run with this new Studio line imo, especially the 800 Studio. I’ve always loved Marshalls but, to me, this amp has really captured the quintessential Marshall tone.

Another great thing about this amp is that anyone can use it,.....the gigging musicians like @tce63 and @tallcoolone, and others, or the at home musicians like myself.

Simply put, it sounds great at almost any volume. For the at home musician an attenuator is helpful,.....so one can retain his hearing! :D

I’ve owned Marshalls most of my life, they have all come and gone,.......except for this one,....it’s a keeper for life, I think.

Some of you guys might be getting tired of seeing this pic, but that’s ok,.....

[​IMG]

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

I’m in complete agreement with you @Kim Lucky Day,......

I’m pretty much leaving my 800 Studios volume on 8 and the preamp on anywhere from 5 to 8 depending on my mood.

Getting those power tubes cooking is really what Marshall amps are all about,...and this $136 Weber miniMass attenuator helps you do that.

Kim Lucky Day and tce63 like this.
  18. thunderstruck507

thunderstruck507 Well-Known Member

So far I've only been able to try one on the lower watt setting through a DSL15 cabinet and it sounded horrible. Low end was very loose and woofy. Be curious to try one down the road once they come up used. The new price tag is pretty outrageous honestly.

I only paid $1200 shipped for my 2203KK and I sometimes see original 800s for much less. Granted they may need maintenance but they will also hold resale value.

Love the idea of them though.

19. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Hmmm, what exactly is a Dsl15 cabinet?

tce63 likes this.
  20. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic however would like to ask one thing about the JCM studio series or JCM series in general. My impression is that it is a hard rock/metal type of amplifier. Would you say that is true?
    I am definitely a pedal oriented player preferring to play dad rock lol ( Who , Lizzy, Mountain , Zep, Stones(69-72) etc., and blues/rock ) and have been thinking that the right Series amp would be the SV. Would you say that is correct?
    BP