Running greenbacks off of a DSL40 with Ext. Cab?

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by CosmoKramer, Jul 16, 2019.

1. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer Member

So I was looking into getting a little 1x12 cab to turn my DSL40 into a 2x12 and open up the sound a bit, and I got to thinking about the speakers, the stock V type is a 75w I believe, and I get the sense that running another matching 75W speaker in the cab might sound stiff and harsh. Assuming I am correct in that plugging another speaker in to the amp splits the wattage in half to each speaker, couldn't I run two 25W greenbacks, one in the combo and one in the ext cab for a combined 50w of speaker power rating? Is this safe and correct?

2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Yes you can do this, just dont accidentally run the amp by itself without putting it in 20 watt mode.

3. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer Member

Thanks! Now, would that blow the speaker immediately in 40w mode? Or would I have to turn it up pretty loud to do damage to the cone/magnet? Just for my own curiosity haha.

4. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer Member

And if anyone knows of a 1x12 cab that will fit underneath a DSL40...it looks bigger than most 1x12s

5. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Or you can get a Creamback :)
    Great Speaker

MarshallDog likes this.
  6. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

No wouldn't cause immediate blow out. Should be fine in 40W mode unless you crank it.
    Amps though rated at 40W or whatever can actually be putting out more or less.
    So you do want to err on the side or caution when in 40W mode. In fact the amp could very well reach max out put with your volume knob on half.
    I would love to hear a DSL40 running Green Backs.
    BP

7. CosmoKramer

CosmoKramer Member

Me too! I think it might sound awesome, maybe add a little more vintage flair to the tone and tone down some of the barkiness of the drive channel.

8. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Run those suckers green & clean. Add Gain to taste.:dude:
    BP

CosmoKramer likes this.
  9. clutch71

clutch71 Well-Known Member

The VType speaker sounds very good. I would not worry about "stiffness" because the speaker is 70 watts. I run a broke in Marshall Vintage Speaker with a 5w Baron Snott Watt and it sounds fabulous. In my experience stiffness is more related to speaker break in. That being said, "Greenbacks" do sounds very good and might pair well with the Vtype. As other's mentioned you would have to keep the volume low if you added a greenback to the combo and ran it by itself.

10. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

I have a 65w Creamback in my DSL40C and a 1x12 cab with a T-75 and really like how these speakers compliment each other. And to your point, open up the amp too. The T-75 has more bottom end than the Creamback and with it being in the cab on the floor I get some nice thump with this setup too.

There aren't a lot of options for 1x12 cabs, as you pointed out, because the DSL is wide for a 1x12 combo. I looked at 3rd party cabs (Seismic, etc.) but wasn't crazy about them. I then planned on building my own when I ran across a guy selling a beat up headless MG250DFX that he was using as a 2x12 cab. That amp is about 2" wider than the DSL so it fits really well. I paid $30 for that and then bought a used UK made G12T-75 for $40. I pulled the 2x12 baffle and made a new 1x12 baffle and covered the head slot, added piping and then new grill cloth and cleaned it up.

My point is keep your options open as you never know what you're going to run across.

Started with this...

Before.jpg

And now have this...

IMG_3637.jpg

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi CosmoKramer. I am not sure where you are based, but in the UK a company called Zilla Cabs makes two 1x12 cabinets that are 620mm wide (the same as the DSL40CR). Both are deep enough for stability. They are the Mini Modern and the Fatbaby. You can spec. the tolex type and colour, grille cloth, handles etc. and the speaker it is shipped with (or unloaded).

https://www.zillacabs.com/1x12-cabinets