Rippin 80's style shred - Santa Cruz Style !

Discussion in 'The Cellar' started by HOT TUBES 70, Nov 10, 2019 at 12:35 PM.

1. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Shred till you drop !!!!

2. JeffMcLeod

JeffMcLeod Well-Known Member

Psh! I could blow that way, I just choose not to.

:coffee:

3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

In that context the shred was not so numbing.
    Never heard of them before this.
    Mitch

ricksdisconnected and slide222 like this.
  4. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member

Awesome! That's how it's done boys. Nothin pussy there.

5. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Jaysus..I wouldn't even know where to start in order to play like that!!!
    Are these guys super talented new generation guitarists or now a days just your run o the mill shredders?.
    You mean to tell me they started with the 5 essential boxes, progressed to CAGED system, learned their scales and got like that? I don't think so. lol
    BP

6. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

that's great for about 10 minutes , sounds like minor scales and its fantastic technique, but not my bag baby , eddie halen was one for me as far as this type of playing, was he not the first and with a lot of tapping -when I first saw eddie it must have been the same sort of reaction when guitar players first saw jimi, wow how the f**k ,what the f**K, and I think eddie played with melody and played with the notes more than these guys are on this clip , but they are certainly great players

i'm sorry about this post , I think I came tru abit off , I didn't mean to sound like a know it all

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 11:26 AM
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Active Member

Hammer-ons were used back in the 1900's on banjos.

Lenny Breau was doing these on harmonics and way before VH so was Steve Hackett.

But all these dexterity tricks, IMO if they don't add to the direction of the music, are only there to show prowess and detract from the "hang" of the song.

Take a solo like Theme For An Imaginary Western by Mountain, Leslie West's soulful solo adds to the entire piece rather than attempts to stick out as virtuosity.

To put a solo up against the music and have it make melodic and rhythmic sense with it rather than shred for the sake of it, is where a musician is acting like one, rather than showing how many licks and tricks he/she can get down in a dash to the finish line.

Noodling, in other words.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 7:33 PM
    Adieu, jmp45 and slide222 like this.
  8. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

I couldn't do what they're doing at a tempo of one note per second without practicing it for eight hours a day for a month.

Respect. Those guys have paid their dues. They're on the Dragonforce skill tier.

9. anitoli

And they are playing LP's, not what i would consider an ideal shredder guitar.

Mitchell Pearrow and slide222 like this.
  10. dragonvalve

dragonvalve Active Member

Yes these guys paid their dues learning the licks and the dexterity and with a good producer can weave a series of their solos into something useful. Like watching ninjas jump around and cut watermelons with their swords.

Now let's heal minds and souls.

It would be; "okay you know that lick you just played, play this here, don't play that... now play some more licks until we find one that works on the next segment of the song."

After you get done chaining licks that make the music stronger, then you can play it all back and admire how good the player is. He may be surprised himself.

But before that, it's like driving in the rain using the light beam of a movie theater projector.
    [​IMG]

Lots of light, no focus.

If guys like this are not guided on a track, it will be rote licks played over the song with little thought given to the ebb and flow of the song. You hear that all the time.

It may wow the uninitiated but not help every second of the song as it goes by.

Leslie West circa 1969:

Mitchell Pearrow and slide222 like this.
  11. HOT TUBES 70

12. HOT TUBES 70

13. anitoli

These guys have got their shit together big time. Saw a little trick im gonna pull on the jam buddies and blow their minds, the tapping move where you tap behind the left hand basically making it a capo hehe.

14. slide222

slide222 Well-Known Member

yea I can't do it either ,and i'm sorry if I offended anyone , I don't like it enough to spend the time learning to play that fast ,and learn that style of playing - I do appreciate how good they are , I tend to play a more open style , and I do like playing major scales mostly , and I tend to use minor more for funky Hendrix gypsy eyes type playing , but thats me , plz don't take offence , I did not mean to be negative , they are great players , just not my favourite style- sorry if that sounded negative I didn't mean to sound like a know it all, I 've been giving my 2555x some shit today , tru a 2x12 of 1981 G1280's on full power up in the far bedroom , where I can get away with it , and I was thinking of that first video it inspired me a little I was hitting open e and trying to shred in e major , and then the same in open a trying to shred again in a major , then I did it in d major , a bit clumbsy at the start and the wife was out so I had a couple of hours , anybody else tried a 2555x tru g12 80,s, sounded great with my strat (78 trebley thin level coils) , this guitar is great , I can do marc knofler sound on it as well - respect to shredding

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

They are pretty damn good. :thumb:

16. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

It's not my style, either. But my playing skill level seems to be just a hair above "Mary had a Little Lamb" and I don't mean SRV's version.

Shred by itself is not music you can listen to for a lifetime. But skill earned is almost never time wasted. What those guys are doing is just as valid as B.B. King's one long note "solos" that could bring an audience to its feet. Music is too many things to name them all in one post.

BanditPanda likes this.
  17. anitoli

This guy is amazing, listen to the run that starts at 3:32 - 3:56 crank it.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  18. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Just a few observations:

#1. I like it. Kinda think burst guy had the better tone overall, but that's personal preference. Custom guy had his best tone on Vol III. I think Vol I had the biggest disparity of tone.

#2. @slide222 ... dude, you're allowed to have an opinion w/out offending anyone. Speak your mind and be proud of it!

#3. @Matthews Guitars ... I'm rolling up on 45, so I can't speak to a lifetime just yet, but ... I'm not so sure you're right on that :shred:

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  19. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

violinist were doing it centuries ago.

dragonvalve likes this.