Reverse Polarity Speaker Cable. Wtf??

Discussion in 'Cabinets & Speakers' started by mtm105, May 11, 2018.

1. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

just when I thought that life wasn't complicated as it is.

I read "polarity matters when more than one instrument is being played. As a solo instrument, nothing to worry about."

"Easy to check polarity.The tip is +. Use a 9v battery and just touch it from the + to - and see which way the cones move.Forward or backwards. Then try the polarity both ways and see which sound you like better."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Another point: phase shift in an amplifier is not absolute - just because you have an odd number of inverting stages does not mean that you have a signal 180 degrees out of phase with the input signal. Every partially-bypassed cathode stage, coupling network, tone stack, and output transformer imparts a frequency-dependent phase shift to the signal.

If you take the time to run a phase/frequency plot, you will see that it goes all over the place. In fact, you can make a passive network that will have enough phase shift to give you a complete 180 degrees, so you can have an amplifier with an odd number of inverting stages that actually will produce a signal that is in phase with the input! It won't, however, change the polarity of a transient signal, which will still be inverted."

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  2. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

WTF?

3. Rich_S

Rich_S Active Member

Nonsense.

However, speaker polarity does matter if you're running your guitar through multiple amps. Some amps have a different phase output than others. Hell, many Fenders have different phase between the Normal and Vibrato channels. So, if you're the type to stack up two or more different amps and run them all at the same time, it might be worth investigating reversed-phase speaker cables.

Although, most good splitters and A/B/Y switches have phase-swap switches on them.

Another good application of a phase-reversing speaker cable is if you're running two cabs with different phase off the same amp. If you don't have the time to pull the back off one cab and swap all the little spade lugs on the speakers, the swapped cable is a faster & easier solution.

But using a reversed phase speaker cable to alter your phase relationship to the other instruments on stage? Nonsense.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  4. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

Also be aware that some speaker companies might observe reverse polarity in their speakers..namely JBL, but always check any brand just to be sure. Somebody may also have installed a reconed speaker in there that was incorrectly wired.
    Not many people use jbl's in their guitar rigs, but over my career I have known 2 well known national level guitar players who did. When I informed their techs about it neither one believed me until they checked it out for themselves. It was one of those, "Well I'll be damned, they are reverse polarity." moments.
    When I first get any speaker cabinet (guitar, bass or PA) I always test for polarity, use deoxit on the jacks, make sure all screws and joints and casters are tight, and check the ohms rating on a meter.
    Never hurts to check.

mtm105 and hazmat7719 like this.
  5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

I thought this was common sense to people who understand electrocity. What is your point?

6. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

deoxit?

7. Micky

Micky Well-Known Member VIP Member

I still don't get it.
    Is there a question in there somewhere?

8. ampmadscientist

ampmadscientist Well-Known Member

When the speaker cable is reverse polarity, the music comes out inverted.
    How do you think Hendrix recorded all those reverse guitar solos? Hmm?
    See? I run rings around you logically.

tschrama likes this.
  9. MemphisMarshallMan

MemphisMarshallMan Active Member

DeOxit is a spray contact cleaner that you can spray on speaker connector jacks to remove natural oxidation from the metal. That oxidation causes ohm resistance. I have measured used 1960 cabs with 40+ ohms of resistance before the spray and 14.6 ohms after cleaning.
    Just one of those things to do (like checking polarity) when you get a speaker cabinet.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. mtm105

mtm105 Well-Known Member

LInk would be of benefit. Are there any other uses for Deoxit? I have an old Marshall 12W Marshall Lead SS. The pots are scratchy. Does it help fix?

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hvtargid=kwd-286456768&ref=pd_sl_9b0esdpjsu_e

11. chuckharmonjr

chuckharmonjr Well-Known Member

About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
    Ok...I am officially confused...what sort of techno babble bullshit is this? Tone is in the reverse polarity speaker cable?

12. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

But then he strung his guitar backwards and played it upside down, reversing the effect once again :eek:

tschrama likes this.
  13. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Reverse polarity does not produce reverse sound. It only turns the original upside down.