Reverb hiss on DSL20HR

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by staavie, Sep 18, 2019.

1. staavie

staavie New Member

Hi..
    I have an DSL20HR and if i set the reverb all open there is a little hiss , not much but it is there (also if i set it half way , but less),is that normal? or is it a tube?
    The sound is oke,it's only the reverb . Maybe have all the new dsl amps this ?
    Thanx in advance ;)

tce63 likes this.
  2. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

Hi @staavie, I have a DSL40CR and there is no additional hiss when onboard reverb is engaged. I had a 20CR too for a short while. It had all sorts of problems, but I don't remember reverb hiss being one of them.
    You should maybe return it, or at least try another model at the shop where you bought it to confirm it is just yours that has this fault. Then ask for an exchange.

tce63 likes this.
  3. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

Mine does not do that. There have been many guys with problems with those amps. I haven't had any issues. If I remember right, there were some of those amps that got some bad parts (resistors/capacitors) that can cause the hiss. Others I think were a tube. It's best to take the amp to a competent tech and have him check it out.
    I can attest that all of them don't have those issues. Mine has been great since I got it, which was early on when they first came out. I play mine almost daily and is one of my favorites.

tce63 likes this.
  4. South Park

South Park Active Member

The thing about tubes is you will hear it all the good and the bad. The grids on the tubes are ground .all power wants to do is go to ground. It is normal for this hissing sound . It means it is working . It is part of the tube sound

5. staavie

staavie New Member

295/5000

I sent the amp back and go for a marshall studio 20w, (SV20-SC20 or mini jubilee head) although I don't know which one yet ... I play more clean than overdrive, so it should definitely may not sound too bright and must have enough headroom for in a band.....suggestions?

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well I’ve got a Jcm800 Studio,....I don’t think this amp is the right choice for what you’re doing,...playing clean at band level volumes, not much headroom.

I’m not sure about the SV20, I tend to think that might not be a good fit either, but someone who owns one can surely tell you.

That leaves the mini Jubilee, this is probably the best fit for what you’re talking about.

Have you thought about an Origin 20?

Michael Roe and tce63 like this.
  7. staavie

staavie New Member

I dont know if the origin 20 have enough clean headroom...But i also think the mini jubilee is probably the best for me .I'm going to test it and see if it's something for me
    Thanx.

tce63, scozz and Michael Roe like this.
  8. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

For clean headroom the Jubilee would be the best in the Studio range. I wouldn't count the Origin out. It has plenty of clean headroom as well. I would try both models out if you can and then make your decision.

tce63 and scozz like this.